Field of view / Widescreen issue

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want it right for everyone ... ;) ... and there is no reason why it can't be right for everyone as I have pointed out ... especially as GRIN had it right with GRAW.

BTW Sleepdoc ... take look at my system specs in my sig.

Off Topic: That's one sweet monitor, I know, I have the same, 5 inputs, usb uplink hub , card reader & one kick ass sized panel.

BTW Sleepdoc ... take look at my system specs in my sig.

LOL. you really are fighting for the less fortunate!. The Obama/Clinton campaign is cranking up. You need to sign up.

:D

I don't use a monitor. I had A/V ports installed in my skull.

I don't think those are AV connectors Cangaroo. Just holes..... :rofl:

<joke>

It's a really easy fix...FOV should be a config setting modifiable by the user. Games have had FOV settings for many years now, I remember Unreal Tournament allowed you to change your FOV and that game came out in 1999. GRIN can add FOV to the settings, and limit the max FOV to whatever angle corresponds to the widescreen format (144 I think?), and that way users can have whatever FOV they want up to the widescreen max, making for a level playing field. Having an FOV greater than 90 should not be considered cheating or an unfair advantage anymore with the advent and widespread use of widescreen gaming.

I prefer to use a normal aspect screen (I have a 1280x1024 LCD), but I would not play any multiplayer game competitively if it did not have an FOV option to allow me to see as much as widescreen users. For a game not to have an FOV option in today's hardware market is pitiful and makes absolutely no sense from a competitive gaming viewpoint.

So far what I'm hearing about GRAW 2 PC is very disappointing.

:lol: ... it can be correct for everyone and every aspect ratio thus making it feel right for everyone and removing the need to argue either way or pick sides.

From where i started in this thread, the length of it seemed to stem from people not understanding Paddy's very simple point above....

I personally played the game for a few minutes, wondering why i had tunnel vision, then tried tweaking the setting and searching the internet for an answer for about an hour. I'm not even going to touch this one unless they fix the widescreen. I didn't buy widescreen for a flippen bigger ###### picture, i spent the hard earned to increase the amount of the game i see in MY fov thereby "getting into the game" more. Grin's a European deleloper right? Aren't the BF2 dev's from Europe?

As someone who for years, developed and conseptualized game design concepts, hoping to create Operation Flashpoint meets GRAW, i just shake my head when dev's drop the ball on something so simple.

Hey Viiper, if i cared enough and spent more time in this forum, i'd most definitely have "go into a thread viiper started and rip/counter-argue on the things he desired and felt passionate about" on my to-do list. You remind me of a selfish 16 year old.

When a widescreen resolution and it's correct aspect ratio are selected the view is cut down compared to 4:3 ...

The start

Hey Viiper, if i cared enough and spent more time in this forum, i'd most definitely have "go into a thread viiper started and rip/counter-argue on the things he desired and felt passionate about" on my to-do list. You remind me of a selfish 16 year old.

Het "Batic" did you even bother to read this whole thread, or just skim the last few posts to satisfy your self? I think the latter, your point of view is invalid totally, 90% of the people here agree your point is lost. Get on the right page before calling some adults 16 year old spotty arsed kid.

With out wasting my time to the extent you quoted, 4:3 is true according to Paddywak's own conclusions at the start and it's 16:9 that had the problem, now you want your 4:3 monitor stretching? get it right.

This thread is going on. READ IT NEXT TIME (all of it)

cylawyer.gif

I do feel that a few have gotten confused by all the twists and turns of this thread and maybe my posts were not clear enough because of those twists and turns ... that is just the way things go sometimes ...

I am just here to try to get the FOV right for everyone and as I have said repeatedly it is possible ... GRAW ... ;)

GET the "base FOV" correct then use the GRAW method to alter it for the various aspect ratios.

Yes I started this thread because I found that the widescreen view was cut down ...

It then became apparent that 4:3 users didn't like the view they were getting ... it was too zoomed in ...

These are two similar but separate issues ...

One is about cutting the view down to make widescreen ... which we all agree is not the best way to do widescreen.

The other is about the "base FOV" (which some say is too zoomed in/restricted when using a 4:3 resolution) and from which all the FOV's for all the various aspect ratios should be based ...

It can get very confusing if the two get over lapped ... hence I said ...

Assuming the FOV is set correctly for any given aspect ratio (the "base FOV") then all wider or narrower screens should have a wider or narrower FOV.

When the "fix" came from GRIN it did seem to make widescreen issue better but it does not seem to have helped the 4:3 users and as aspect ratios get wider there is more and more view added at the top and bottom ...

So what the so called fix did was ...

Make widescreen users believe that things were OK ...

Make 4:3 users unhappy as they don't have the vertical view that the widescreen users now get and they felt their FOV was to zoomed in in the first place ... a bad "base FOV" maybe ?

Make any really widescreens such as TripleHead have way too much vertical view making the game nigh on unplayable ...

So I again tried to point out the correct way to get it right for everyone (as in GRAW) ...

Assuming the FOV is set correctly for any given aspect ratio (the "base FOV") then all wider or narrower screens should have a wider or narrower horizontal FOV such that it feels right for everyone.

The vertical FOV should not change between aspect ratios.

The big point is ...

If the "base FOV" can be decided ... then as shown in GRAW there is no reason why all the aspect ratios and their respective FOV's can't be right for everyone.

I know some people felt that the "base FOV" in GRAW was too zoomed/restricted ... but that is about getting the "base FOV" correct not about how the FOV relates to the various aspect ratio which GRAW did correctly.

To get the FOV right for everyone in GRAW2 ...

GET the "base FOV" correct then use the GRAW method to alter it for the various aspect ratios.

I, too, noticed that when playing GRAW in 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio that the view was "zoomed in". I am guessing that GRIN set the FOV for these ratios at less than 90 degrees, for some odd reason. It was the only graphical problem that I had with the game, and it was really annoying. I can't imagine how bad this issue is for you widescreen guys in GRAW 2; I sympathize with you all.

Really though, as I said above: make FOV a config option, allow it to be set anywhere from 70 to 160 degrees, and this whole problem goes away.

forgive my density, but can you tell me how to do the above directive?

That is how GRIN should fix it ... we can't fix it for ourselves.

With out wasting my time to the extent you quoted, 4:3 is true according to Paddywak's own conclusions at the start and it's 16:9 that had the problem, now you want your 4:3 monitor stretching? get it right.

This thread is going on. READ IT NEXT TIME (all of it)

I have a 16x10 monitor and the FOV angle is too narrow. Thats the most important point, thats the reason i won't even consider buying this game. Its also pushed forward some, but that may be the designers accounting for where the ghost's heads are when aiming and its effects may be more pronounced because of the narrow FOV.

He can't, he's trying to help the dev's do their jobs...

My opinion is that nobody will miss the cutted parts on top and bottom, but it's a huge advantage to have more view to the sides!

I miss em... and i ain't nobody. At least as far a GRIN's concered, i have a wallet.

I could see how the widescreen would be an issue in clan matches, but for regular online play I think its a non-issue. The not-so-obvious advantages outweigh the costs. The more support larger monitors get, the more monitors that will be purchased. When i bought my Dell 24", it was $800US, that was a year ago, now the newer ones can be had for 500US on Ebay. A few years before that, they were going for 1200US and their quality was much lower! 30" 16-10 Dells can be won for as low as 800US on Ebay now! About a year ago they were going for 1500US.

Personally, i switch to the losing team several times a night for more challenge, and i used to do it with a 4x3 too. Don't get me wrong, im not bragging (in fact, i don't generally take credit for my physical nature, good or bad, its DNA or God and i had nothing to do with it.) I hate losing all night long if i can't see that im not making any headway through personaly.

Ok, one last point, if you read this review of a Dell 30", the fellow states

"One world to “PRO GAMERS†.. you know the type.. the ones that live and die to play these games and live by their frag count… because this panel is so large, competitive gaming might actually be a little more difficult than on a small panel, because in the heat of battle your eyes need to work more to look around to the extreme corners of the view etc. Maybe these milli-micro seconds or whatever are what separates competition gamers from the rest of us, so pros should bear in mind the extra work your eyes need to do to navigate this huge viewing area."

I had the same sensation going from 15 to 19, then when i switched to 24".

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum...opic.php?t=7060

I also play without a reticule whenever a game will let me, and a bigger screen makes it much harder to aim like that.

Edited by Batic

My opinion is that nobody will miss the cutted parts on top and bottom, but it's a huge advantage to have more view to the sides!

as i understand it, there is NO additional detail on the sides. Widescreen resolutions are achieved by chopping off the top and bottom. Yes or No?