Dedicated server files ?

Yes, See BoGRIN's posts in the demo thread

I think you misunderstood.

Dedicated files will be supplied at RELEASE of the game.

So they can be used without the game but released at that point in time.

Any person can use them.

Yes?

Bo

STAND ALONE DEDICATED SERVER FILES FOR GRAW2 THE PC GAME IN 2007-

also as I said you do not need the GAME to run them.

Edited by Pave Low

Does anyone know if there is going to be a seperate server side code. I Run an unmanaged Dedicated server with MPUK and due to having to install and setup the game / demo via ingame it cant be done on our server.

Unlike my History of BF games where it all comes with server side code only, i feel a little confused over this matter.

any help or comments appreciated.... well constructed ones :hmm:

[Merged into existing thread - folks please check forum before posting]

Edited by Pave Low

They will be providing the dedicated tools with the full version of the game. So no dedicated hosting with the demo. The official servers are dedicated and provided by UBI and GRIN. While other servers are being run off of home connections primarily while a person is playing and hosting.

This thread is a repeat of this thread http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=44073

can they be combined ?

Yeah, Done :thumbsup:

So if i read it correctly there will be a seperate server side client available for those of us that Hire Servers etc, which wont need the full game to run them?

Errm.. Read BoGRIN's quotes above ^^^ particularly the second one, there is no room for confusion :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've been looking around for server providers but with no luck. Does anybody know if there are any server providers out there for the GR:AW 2 Demo yet? I know I see some regular servers up with decent pings which leads me to believe that there is.

[Merged into exisiting thread]

Edited by Pave Low

GRIN will have had to make alot of performance and resource usage improvements on the dedicated server to get server providers interested in hosting the game at affordable rates. I know Bonehead and his company had a hard time keeping the rates affordable for rental servers. So we'll have to wait and see what improvements have been implemented before we know if providers will pick it up.

it might be a resource hog for the demo, because you have to actually run the game to host. the dedi tools will certainly not be a resource hog :)

are you planning on getting the full game? hopefully the full game will be out in a few weeks, so it's probably gonna be a waste to get a dedi demo server arranged.

our dual core server costs £600 per year, with full remote access, ftp, install what we want on it etc :)

based in UK tho, so probably not what you're looking for :/

GRAW 1 did not officially support Linux servers so I'm pretty sure GRAW2 will not either. However, someone supposedly did get GRAW1 to run on Linux but I'm not sure exacly how since I'm not a Linux user . Here is a quote from them and maybe you can get it to work once the game is released...

Thanks to ben0 on www.ghostrecon.net here is some detailed info: “Its running on Dual Opteron 244, Tyan S2882, using the stock on-board VGA. Using slamd64, www.slamd64.com, current, think its V11 RC2. I installed X, and KDE, using Fluxbox as the window manager, mainly cos its lightweight. Using the 32bit version of wine from the slackware site, 0.9.20. No extra config. Wine has to be lauched from the X session because the graw-standalone requires a d3d window to run. I use x11vnc for the remote management. I started the xdm session manager from inittab on bootup, with it configured to start x11vnc with it. Only 1 tip for this, use 16bit colours, make x11vnc soo much faster! With X running and x11vnc between them they use next to nothing on resourses.â€

And to panic,

it might be a resource hog for the demo, because you have to actually run the game to host. the dedi tools will certainly not be a resource hog :)

are you planning on getting the full game? hopefully the full game will be out in a few weeks, so it's probably gonna be a waste to get a dedi demo server arranged.

our dual core server costs £600 per year, with full remote access, ftp, install what we want on it etc :)

based in UK tho, so probably not what you're looking for :/

GRAW 1 dedicated is a huge resource hog. It pegs a CPU at near 100%. The disk usage is HUGE. It pegs at 100% and will cause hitching/performance loss in other applications on the server because it claims the highest priority. For example, we currently run a quad core server (recently upgraded) and we run our RvS servers on the 3rd core. However we still only have one physical disk (no we're not running a raid array - cost reasons) and we still experience performance issues when GRAW is loading or changing maps.

Also I believe there is a memory leak that occurs and builds after time. The server crashes at least once a day and we have an auto-restart script so that kind of clears that up for us so we don't have to manually restart it. Still it's an issue that providers don't want to have to deal with.

Now GRAW2 is supposed to be optimized for multi-core processors. However, if the disk usage is still pegged, it's not going to be terribly friendly for providers to provide multiple servers per physical box. Therefore if they offer the servers it's likely to be a full dedicated box rental (like what we do) instead of just a game server at a lower rate. Which is lower incentive for providers to offer.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Purely speculation, but does anyone think it's possible that the demo servers are multiple instances running on the same machine? For example, Chicago 1, 2, and 3 are 3 instances on the same server? Just wondering aloud.

Drawing48-1.jpg

[Merged with the existing server thread (as it didn't really warrant it's own thread just for that)]

Edited by Pave Low

Or it could be individual boxes located at the same regional provider. GRIN stated that they were hosting on workstations at their offices to add to the server count. I know it was possible in GRAW according to Viiper but other people have tried and it proved problematic. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are not running multiple instances on the same physical box.

HOWEVER, I hope that I am wrong and would be very excited if they were doing so with good performance. They have improved upon the server files I hope. I do hope that they at least release some server spec and configuration information similar to what they did with GRAW 1. That way we can start experimenting with it once the game is released.

GRIN stated that they were hosting on workstations at their offices to add to the server count. I know it was possible in GRAW according to Viiper but other people have tried and it proved problematic. I have a sneaking suspicion that they are not running multiple instances on the same physical box.

RE: GRAW1

The BDA do / have run 3 instances of GRAW1 on the same Quad core machine and Armed Assault too. For graw get on our team speak (72.37.204.124:8962) and I will explain it all. Basically in GRAW1 install one copy. Then copy the main Directory for each instance (renaming the copy dir to something like server1, server2, server3). Then set up the script files so the server names are diffrent and in the script files (every script file), change the port to: base+1,base+2 etc.

server script files (per directory)

base

<port value="15250"/>

baase+1

<port value="15251"/>

base+2

<port value="15252"/>

server shared (per directory)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<ghost_recon_3_servers_shared>

<admin_password value="xxxx" />

<standalone_network_speed value="2570" />

<standalone_path value="/settings/servers/graw_server_tdm1.xml" />

<standalone_post_on_gamespy value="true" />

</ghost_recon_3_servers_shared>

Launch each instance using a service application like "Fire Daemon"

associate to each core of the CPU ie: core 0, 1, 2, 3

more help via teamspeak :thumbsup:

we run on a 100mbit up link so <standalone_network_speed value="2570" /> is set to 2.5 Mbyte

viii

• 3 weeks later...

They didn't with GRAW and have not said they would with GRAW2. This is just the latest version of the same game engine after all.

That said, some have gotten GRAW to work on Linux and may be able to do the same with GRAW2. See my post above. Your milage may vary.

Yeah i have, thanks Flimflam. I was just hoping that since the game is out in different parts of the world now that maybe there is new news about dedi's and so on.

LINUX support FTW plz.