GRAW 2 and PhysX

@Grin:

On the decision to remove Havok and go solely with Ageia for the physics processing; what or how is the slack being taken up with? Has the Ageia PhysX software been revised/enhanced to work standalone (sans all the bells and whistles) without a PPU? Has the Diesel engine been modified to allow multi-threading, routing the physics over to another CPU core? Or is it all being passed on to the GPU?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PhysX settings will not affect multiplayer since that would be quite an unfair advantage for physx owners, since there's a lot more destructable fences and stuff.

So the PhysX card is not working at all in MP? I definately see a lot more particles while using it in MP.

Interesting Article About Ageia Island Map, Are you undecided about a PhysX card?

Article Here

Relevant text:

Not only will all levels of the game be enhanced with PhysX, but owners of the AGEIA PhysX accelerator will be able to take on an additional hardware-accelerated, fully immersive mission known as "AGEIA Island." This exclusive level features a fully destructible environment with groundbreaking environmental physics and persistent effects. Here, gamers can morph the environment to complete the mission in new, game-changing ways. Nearly every element in the level is physically modeled to enable strategically significant real-time interaction. Shoot individual planks of wooden fences to expose the enemy; destroy trees to get a better look at an opponent; blow up towers and buildings to take out the enemy within, while the flying debris impacts those nearby. Environmental effects such as blowing wind send swirling leaves and debris flying throughout the landscape to add to the "in-the-game" experience and create new challenges that directly affect how you interact with the game. The PhysX processor also enables more persistence of effects throughout the AGEIA Island level, for a more believable experience. The game is never the same.

This should be a blast in coop. Us PhysX owners should get together an give it a go.

Quote from Bo:

With PhysX, we are able to bring gamers a realistic combat experience they will crave to play over and over again because it's never the same twice," said Bo Andersson, chief executive officer of GRIN. "The physics system is built into everything in the game - from the characters to tanks to buildings and every other object within the game world. When something explodes, the physics engine kicks in to create superb explosions, emitting debris which affects gameplay.

From HERE

[Merged into the existing GRAW2 PhysX thread]

Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

Hey I totally skipped ahead an didnt read anything here but my friend called me today and he's getting a Physx card made by BFG and also an 8800 ultra. Supposedly the ultra just came out this week. He said if he was to ring it up for a customer, it would be 1100 bux but with his discount(works at a computer store) it's 900. That's not including the Physx card. That's just the 8800 ultra. The physx card is like 150 I think. So this means I'll be getting his 7950 1 gig card. I have a 512 7950 right now. But yeah just thought I'd post here since this is a post about physx and GRAW2.

Hey I totally skipped ahead an didnt read anything here but my friend called me today and he's getting a Physx card made by BFG and also an 8800 ultra. Supposedly the ultra just came out this week. He said if he was to ring it up for a customer, it would be 1100 bux but with his discount(works at a computer store) it's 900. That's not including the Physx card. That's just the 8800 ultra. The physx card is like 150 I think. So this means I'll be getting his 7950 1 gig card. I have a 512 7950 right now. But yeah just thought I'd post here since this is a post about physx and GRAW2.

... no actually... the gloating thread is further down the forum - I came here for abuse.

Well his one gig card doesn't support DX10 so yeah. I'm not really gloating. Just thought I'd post that. My friend's crazy when it comes to buying anything. I don't wanna get into it cause it would get way off topic. He was talking to a customer that came into his work one day and was saying that Physx cards make explosions and everything more random. So it's kinda funny that my friend is buying one cause in GRAW, whenever something blows up, we say "That's it that explosion wasn't random enough. I'm getting a Physx card." I'll probably end up getting one too just cause what I've seen them do does look awesome and the explosions seem more detailed...and random.

Not sure if this is up already?

"Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 will feature changing climate, improved AI, an advanced Cross-Com system, air strikes from jet fighters, new weapons and a new soldier class, the Medic.

The game also features an innovative PhysX hardware bonus level that delivers an action-packed, physics-intensive mission available exclusively to owners of the AGEIA PhysX accelerator."

Not only will all levels of the game be enhanced with PhysX, but owners of the AGEIA PhysX accelerator will be able to take on an additional hardware-accelerated, fully immersive mission known as "AGEIA Island."

This exclusive level features a fully destructible environment with groundbreaking environmental physics and persistent effects. Here, gamers can morph the environment to complete the mission in new, game-changing ways.

Nearly every element in the level is physically modeled to enable strategically significant real-time interaction. Shoot individual planks of wooden fences to expose the enemy; destroy trees to get a better look at an opponent; blow up towers and buildings to take out the enemy within, while the flying debris impacts those nearby.

Environmental effects such as blowing wind send swirling leaves and debris flying throughout the landscape to add to the "in-the-game" experience and create new challenges that directly affect how you interact with the game.

The PhysX processor also enables more persistence of effects throughout the AGEIA Island level, for a more believable experience. The game is never the same.

http://worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=43...ead&order=0

http://www.ageia.com/

[Merged with the existing GRAW 2 PhysX thread - Where this is already posted, Please check before posting ]

Edited by Pave Low

I'm just not sure how I feel about stuff like this. I'm sure Ageia paid GRiN/Ubi to develop the exclusive map, but I can't help feeling that even the world of gaming has become a gigantic marketing "target rich environment", with in-game ads that make no sense (a game set in 2012 or beyond with billboards of 2007 model cars?")... exclusive levels developed just for those with special hardware, etc. I started feeling this way when certain games were "enhanced" to work with either ATI or Nvidia graphics cards... let's face it, they developed the game and tuned it for one driver set... they didn't really "enhance" it much one way or the other... but ATI and Nvidia paid those developers for that effort.

On the other hand, game development is getting to be as expensive as producing a major Hollywood motion picture... game houses need revenue other than us junkies and our credit cards.

Dunno.... guess I was in a philosophical mood this morning and decided to share. For those of you with the Ageia cards, I'd love to hear your review when we finally get our hands on the game...

-jk

Callsign threepoint

Too much brain food bro, I tend to agree though, it comes down to the have`s and have nots.

I got one pci slot on my board and its filled with a sound card. So no ageia.

I like the software used at present I dont think having more effects will change my thoughts on the game as the play to me is far more relevent than the look.

Ill admit though it would be nice to have both and I think developers are trying to do this, its just so bloody expensive keeping up with it.

I also feel that a look of a game any game is overtaking the actuall gameplay elements of it, this is a bad thing.

Its nice to show off hardware at its full potential but do we really need or want it.

I would say at the moment no I like playing as is the visuals are already great and the game play is comeing along nicelly thank you

I would like to see a side by side difference in the physiX, I run a nVidia 88xx and have the Agiea in one of the PCI slots from last year (what a waste it was then). But I wonder if they are experimenting with advanced features. All I've noticed in the GRAW2 Demo is how dam good it looks the explosions, the smoke the whole feel, but this might not have anything to do with Ageia, there again it might.

The point raised regarding phisiX making a kill phsicX is interesting

Nearly every element in the level is physically modeled to enable strategically significant real-time interaction. Shoot individual planks of wooden fences to expose the enemy; destroy trees to get a better look at an opponent; blow up towers and buildings to take out the enemy within, while the flying debris impacts those nearby.

That's why it's a bonus level cos you can't have the discrimination, YET. :whistle:

GRAW is my favorite game, and the videos that came out last year comparing explosions with and without the Physx card really looked neat. When I found that the card was $300, there was no way I would spend the money. However, I found that the BFG card was down to $150 so I purchased one last week. I can say that it adds some neat effects to GRAW 1, and I am really looking forward to see it in action next week with GRAW 2.

I still think its a wast of money.. The crysis engine has a Completely destructible environment, and doesnt require the physics card. I know it can be done on most computers now. The only thing that I think it does still is just throw more dabre around that are pretty much useless..

I still think its a wast of money.. The crysis engine has a Completely destructible environment, and doesnt require the physics card. I know it can be done on most computers now. The only thing that I think it does still is just throw more dabre around that are pretty much useless..

Hopefully there is a software workaround for this, like there was for GRAW1. I do however strongly disagree that the effects are useless.

The effects is of course possible without a PhysX card too but the system requirements would be much higher.

Edited by Hockeystick

Cell factor demo without AGEIA PhysX accelerator , with one tweak for activate the PhysX . C2 3200 mhz , 8800 gtx

http://www.mediafire.com/?aq2my3ntzjo

37 mb, 720 p

---------------------------------------------

http://stage6.divx.com/user/oritxupolite/v...arjeta-de-Ageia

In streaming , 17 mb 720p

Edited by jonelo

I've read all the really helpful info on this forum about the Ageia PhysX video cards (thanks guys!)...

But I'm still undecided!

What do you think - is it worth the purchase?

Well, Maximum PC seems to think so:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/graw2_cou...in_ageias_physx

GRAW2 Could Rekindle My Enthusiasm for Ageia's PhysX

Posted 06/18/07 at 07:00:19PM | by Michael Brown

I’ve been a relatively harsh critic of Ageia and its PhysX technology; not because I don’t believe in the concept of hardware-accelerated physics, but because I think Ageia has done a poor job of making a case for its own product. But a hands-on demo of Ubisoft’s Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 at this weekend’s Showdown LAN 2007 has rekindled my interest.

I found the recent CellFactor: Revolution demo to be a major disappointment because it didn’t offer a compelling reason as to why you should buy one of these cards. Redirecting lava flows to turn my enemies into crispy critters with my character’s “psi power” was fun, but the graphics were pedestrian at best—and the gameplay was utterly banal. GRAW2 is a different matter. Ageia tells me all the physics in the game were created using its PhysX SDK, but only one level (dubbed Ageia Island, appropriately enough) requires a PhysX card—you can’t unlock the level without it. Could this be just a marketing ploy? I guess it’s possible, but I’ve never seen such detailed physics in a game.

Sounds like Ageia should have waited for a game like GRAW2 for launching their product :shifty: