GRAW 2 and PhysX

Gamers with PhysX cards get access to enhanced and exclusive bonus content in addition to the game-play and effects standard to the software PhysX engine. In particular, card owners unlock: GEIA Island?- a level designed for a more extensive physics experience showcasing fully realistic and interactive environments possible only with PhysX acceleration.
Woot! That means me!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the video options there are some Physics options which are Normal, PhysX High and PhysX Extreme. Is it possible to include in the final version a High option for the physics for those of us who don't use a PhysX AGEIA card?

I'd love to see all options (even the Extreme physics) unlocked for all the users as i'm sure our multi-cores processors can take advantage of the physics. I guess you have a contract with AGEIA for using their card which explains the exclusive physics options,BUT if there isn't anything like that then please unlock them :)

PS: I know i ask too much,but please :D

Is anybody running this demo with a PhysX card??? Thus far I'm pretty excited about the game and was wondering if the PhysX card adds a significant difference graphically. I have a 8800gtx and the game runs butter smooth but if I can get more out of it and the PhysX card adds a new dimension I'm all for it.

Any thoughts from peeps using these cards? Any input would be appreciated before I shell out $150.

Also, does the card actually take a load off of the vid card and "assist", or does it just "unlock" some graphical experiences that are built into the game that people without the PhysX card can't see?

Edited by GHOST_Sup

my understanding is that g80 cards that do physics on the gpu can only do that with code that instructs it to do so (havok engine?). not physx code.

since i do have a physx card (obtained last week from newegg ~139?) i can tell you that it is more distracting. Rubble results from gl, sparks fly everywhere when rounds impact, muzzle flash has the starburst.

not sure if it's worth it unless you dont play much else except GR like i do. the cell factor revolution demo is mind bending- like having a super gravity gun from HL2-but not much of a game-just an unreal tournament situation.

the ageia island map should be fun though.

@Cangaroo/ can you advise? what else do you play that uses the card? is it worth the cash?
LOL GRAW 1.

Let me elaborate:

I'm a geek, so I buy any whiz-bang gizmo that comes along. I bought a PhysX card when they were $250, and I do not regret it. I hope this helps more than my previous(ly brief) reply.

my understanding is that g80 cards that do physics on the gpu can only do that with code that instructs it to do so (havok engine?). not physx code.

A little confused. So it doesn't work right with a G80 card? I'm like Cangaroo, I like all the toys but if it doesn't work with the G80 I certainly don't want to waste the money.

Edited by GHOST_Sup

since i do have a physx card (obtained last week from newegg ~139?) i can tell you that it is more distracting. Rubble results from gl, sparks fly everywhere when rounds impact, muzzle flash has the starburst.

not sure if it's worth it unless you dont play much else except GR like i do. the cell factor revolution demo is mind bending- like having a super gravity gun from HL2-but not much of a game-just an unreal tournament situation.

the ageia island map should be fun though.

bwana and Cangaroo.TNT i have a question. Are the barrels destructible? Do they move/fly away while shooting them with the grenade launcher or if you throw them a grenade?

Edited by john2gr

A little confused. So it doesn't work right with a G80 card? I'm like Cangaroo, I like all the toys but if it doesn't work with the G80 I certainly don't want to waste the money.
In GRAW 2, you only get the FULL physics effects with the Ageia PhysX card, regardless of what GPU you have. I'll find the quote somewhere....

You will like it or hate it, what can i say, personaly i think screenshots and videos don't capture the physX effects simulation the way you see it in game, i reckon the physX is great in graw & graw2 for the pc, in fact it's a lot more optimized in graw2 and the physX is a lot better, nice one GRiN & AGEIA. I'm waiting for the single campaign of graw2 i'm still trying to confirm that the physX is tied to the death animation.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...22-20-03-12.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...22-20-13-79.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...18-05-57-78.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...18-06-23-17.jpg

You will like it or hate it, what can i say, personaly i think screenshots and videos don't capture the physX effects simulation the way you see it in game, i reckon the physX is great in graw & graw2 for the pc, in fact it's a lot more optimized in graw2 and the physX is a lot better, nice one GRiN & AGEIA. I'm waiting for the single campaign of graw2 i'm still trying to confirm that the physX is tied to the death animation.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...22-20-03-12.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...22-20-13-79.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...18-05-57-78.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...18-06-23-17.jpg

Good lord these screens are amazing, nice to see the difference.

Thanks.

Holy #$%^ is right.!!! I concur.

@WarCloud.

What are your system specs???

AND

What Resolution are you playing at???

AND

Are you overclocking? if so to what????

I see from Fraps you are getting between 90 and 125 FPS! Holy #$$%^ again!

I have a 8800GTS and e6600 on a 680i mobo and 2gigs of PC-8500 corsair dominator ram and im only getting about 75 frames max!

Do tell Warcloud.......

Or is that the PhysX card relieving your CPU of physics duty, thus giving greater frames to a "lesser" machine?

Edited by Sleepdoc

My graw2 keeps locking up with my Physix card ? It all so done it on the beta. Have it set on low effects and it still does it allso installed the drivers that came with the demo. If i disable the card it graw2 works fine all worked well in graw1

Graw1 / Infernal / Monster madness run fine with the physx anyone else have this problem ?

Cheers

And Warcloud...more importantly, what resolution do you run at? I'm getting 60 avg but running widescreen 16:10 at 1920x1200.

That's a good framerate at that resolution, nice one. Looking for a widescreen myself, not sure which one to go for.

My frames per second can be up one minute then down low the next, i average about mid fiftys in servers. You have to remember in those other screenshots i was on lan, so not much to drag the framerate down. I like the fact the physX accelerator automatically switches itself off when not in use.

win xp

p5n32-e sli

e6600 2.40ghz

8800ultra

physX accelerator

3gbyte 5400 ddr2 667 4.4.4.12 2T dual channel

sb X-fi em

80gb 7900 sata2

530w psu

graw2 demo settings

Video

1024x768@85hz 4:3 Fullscreen

Environment detail: 1.00

Physics: PhysX Extreme

Texture Quality: High

Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 16x

Effects Quality: High

Dynamic Shadows: High

Dynamic Lights: on

Post Effects: High

Anti Aliasing: Edge Smoothing

Audio

Renderer: SB X-Fi [DF00]

Quality: Extreme

EAX: Enabled

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...21-39-30-37.jpg

http://www.ghostrecon.net/fileman/users/wa...21-41-25-34.jpg

Warcloud, for the price THIS monitor kicks butt. I just got one and it is absolutely beautiful. If you can do without all the bells and whistles such as firewire ports, USB, ect... this IS the monitor, and at $500 it's a steal.

Looking forward to seeing what you see when my PhysX card comes in on Monday. Thanks for the screenshots.

Edited by GHOST_Sup

Well i edited the settings.xml file and i didn't see any new physics or particles effects. So that means that the simple editing of the .xml file isn't working (sadly for us :P)

software physx work, but you need to edit more than the settings file alone.

its the same as graw1 but with more options.

you'd better have a quad core if you want to run software physx though.

PhysX settings will not affect multiplayer since that would be quite an unfair advantage for physx owners, since there's a lot more destructable fences and stuff.

Are you saying the 1) environmental setting is not included or is included and 2) are all multi-players restricted to the same physicX

I've been playing the GRAW2 demo since its release and since then have been trying to find the optimal graphics settings for my computer. One setting that stumps me is Environmental detail. What does this slider do, does it have any affect on how far i can see in the map or just how far the map is rendered in my view. If I set this to the lowest setting would I be in any way be less capable of pwning people or would i just not pwn people as beautifully as possible. If someone from GRiN could please explain or any one for that matter.

I made an animation to see the differences between 100%-0%

env-2.gif

PhysX settings will not affect multiplayer since that would be quite an unfair advantage for physx owners, since there's a lot more destructable fences and stuff.

Ahh! that's interesting because i know in graw the fences and debris can explode wide and far, so i suppose you could take someone out with a fence post, lol, well you know what i mean?.

Thanks for letting us know that because i can switch to normal physics (X) claw back a few fps in mp and create a second profile for sp.