AvR Discussion

I noticed a lot of people last night playing AvR as if it was TDM. Also, I read a lot of this in the chat:

Why can't I respawn?

Why is the respawn wait so long?

The teams are unbalanced/unfair?

How does tagging work?

Also, it is very frustrating, as a Ghost, to watch the last 2 or 3 remaining Ghosts amble about the map with no direction or idea of what to do.

AvR is mostly what I played in the beta & most of my demo time will be spent in AvR servers. If you have any questions, let's flush them out here so you don't look like a complete noob when you're in the server. :santa:

The main complaint about RvA is if you join late, you have to wait and wait.....

Besides that, everything about RvA is great, tactical, strategic and fun. The attacking team can attack any ADT A,B or C there is no sequence (great idea). The defenders have to split up and defend multiple points, I hope custom maps can add more RvA points to defend, this could end up like a mini mission mode.... but my favourite is after you had enough, the map sequence just rotates to tdm without kicking all players...so sweet.

p.s. it's funny, in the beta I really did not like RvA but here in the demo playing with friends it rocks and the other point is you don't need a full server to enjoy it, it works well with 6-8 player and is full on with 16+.

Well done Grin :grin2:

p.p.s. I love the Tagging & untagging (which many don't realize, you have to have line of sight). There is so much going on, this concept needs a beer. (for the guys that thought it up).

I also like the tagging and untagging. I just wish you could allies through walls just like the ghosts can tag you through walls. I think it's an unfair aspect.

Not all the ghost classes can tag through walls though. Only the scout with his heartbeat tagger.

:)

and the rebels are supposed to be at a technical disadvantage compared to the ghosts ;)

this mode is really fun. ok, playing as ghost is very hard and very annoying, if the whole ghost team is sniping without destroying the objectives.... but with a good team its fun to sneak and hide! also the "ranking" system is very good. its something new. WELL DONE GRIN :thumbsup:

The key to RvS is communication communication communication. That way people on a team can work better together. Even if they don't exactly know what they are doing, they can get help.

Communication can help with assaulting a ADAT or defending and calling in backup when you know the ghosts are about to make a move on A, B, or C. Also use use the map grids or ADAT's for positional references. This can help people find the enemy easier or respond to a call for help.

Another thing that many people don't know that when you are a ghost and spectating on a player, keep hitting the middle mouse button to tag players. This can help the surviving player when you tag a player for them that they didn't know was there.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

For those of you who play ghost sniper in AvR, I have a small tip:

If the number to the right of your health/stance says "1" - You are the only one left (and everybody is watching you through the deathcam).

If you die, the team lose, if you take out an ADAT - everybody will love you.

So, snipers, check that box now and then - and sacrifice youself for the team (if it says "2" it could be worth it to check with your team mate if he/she is trying to take the ADAT) .

Campers should of course consider this as well...

;)

AvR is a really interesting game mode, and remember that one "round" is playing recon once and rebels once - so you have the same chances.

I also like the tagging and untagging. I just wish you could allies through walls just like the ghosts can tag you through walls. I think it's an unfair aspect.

Not all the ghost classes can tag through walls though. Only the scout with his heartbeat tagger.

:)

and the rebels are supposed to be at a technical disadvantage compared to the ghosts ;)

I know only the scout can do it. What I mean is that if you are inside a building and enemies run past you but on the outside they will be tagged. All you have to do is look around where you hear their footsteps. I've tested it. It works. I got 6 kills camping inside a torn down house and tagging everyone running past me.

If the rebels have an untagging devide they should be able to untag allies that are near them but, perhaps, one wall away. It's only fair, in my opinion.

I know only the scout can do it. What I mean is that if you are inside a building and enemies run past you but on the outside they will be tagged. All you have to do is look around where you hear their footsteps. I've tested it. It works. I got 6 kills camping inside a torn down house and tagging everyone running past me.

If the rebels have an untagging devide they should be able to untag allies that are near them but, perhaps, one wall away. It's only fair, in my opinion.

It's a mater of opinion, I like this method, you don't, like Grin said the balance is with fire power v technology. Try TDM where all is equal, where 90% of the players play for kills and not the team , not the objective.

So its different to the beta how !!!!! :)

Why do we have to have a red dot appear when you shoot an enemy, it kinda puts me off and will we be able to deselect this option in the real deal game, plz dont say its standard throughout all the modes.

Recoil is slightly better . Trying not to condem to much yet as its only a demo.

The key to RvS is communication communication communication. .....................

And the Key to meaningful and useful communication in such a fast paced environment is the use of very specific information such as COMPASS HEADING. but unfortuntely, those of us with Hi-res, wide screen monitors (mine is 1680 x 1050) find the compass IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. The N,E,S and W heading letters are so SMALL and INDISTINGUISHABLE, they are USELESS.

I know I said this in a previous thread as well, but this point deserves to be highlighted. Becuase without the tools needed for proper communication, I was unable to organize qiuckly with my buds last night. We are all accustomed to giving compass headings in our calls and I was left out in the dark along with others. And when Coop campaign finally arrives, this simple-to-repair "bug" will be a real bummer if it is not addressed.

Why do we have to have a red dot appear when you shoot an enemy, it kinda puts me off and will we be able to deselect this option in the real deal game, plz dont say its standard throughout all the modes.

Agreed. IMHO, it is a huge mistake to force this on the server. this should be a server side option to be turned on or off. The blood splatter is far more sublte and satisfying for the shooter to indicate "hit feedback'. The red/orange Blob just kills immersion and can even block your view a bit. I wish I could turn it off.

Edited by Sleepdoc

well although I havent played ti yet - download crashed twice (phook!!) it sounds like most ppl are happy with it.

assault v recon - sounds good.

dont quite understand tagging system, but im sure ill know soon enuff.

anything that promotes teamwork is most welcome.

And the Key to meaningful and useful communication in such a fast paced environment is the use of very specific information such as COMPASS HEADING. but unfortuntely, those of us with Hi-res, wide screen monitors (mine is 1680 x 1050) find the compass IMPOSSIBLE TO READ. The N,E,S and W heading letters are so SMALL and INDISTINGUISHABLE, they are USELESS.

I know I said this in a previous thread as well, but this point deserves to be highlighted. Becuase without the tools needed for proper communication, I was unable to organize qiuckly with my buds last night. We are all accustomed to giving compass headings in our calls and I was left out in the dark along with others. And when Coop campaign finally arrives, this simple-to-repair "bug" will be a real bummer if it is not addressed.

That's why map grids and land mark references are also useful in this situation.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

dont quite understand tagging system, but im sure ill know soon enuff.
All Ghosts tag Rebels by aiming at them. Scouts can tag through walls.

Rebels DO NOT tag Ghosts at all. The Scramber class (Rebels) can see which teammates have been tagged (purple diamond) and can de-tag them if they are visible and within a certain range (I think it's 20m or so). You cannot de-tag through walls. To de-tag, aim at your teammate and depress the mouse wheel.

Edited by Cangaroo.TNT

That's why map grids and land mark references are also useful in this situation.

Yes. there are other ways to communicate in GRAW. but they are far less specific. compass headings are the Gold Standard. Period. And these other "options' do not make my point any less meaningful. Compass headings are VITAL.

When in coop, a standard radio comms is ...

"Move West to this point (See ground marker) and keep your eyes north"

or

"Cover North while I advance across this road".

In coop (and any game mode really), general locations and "map grids" are simply useless when you are moving together as a slow and tight team. After all, you might make 4 or 5 small bounding moves in a single map grid. COMPASS HEADINGS are irreplaceable by these lesser options. when you need them, nothing else will do.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Just thought I'd paste this here becasue it's appropriate and I'd like to hear comments on what I think. This was in the demo feedback thread, but it should belong it here. I wrote this:

Hey guys.

After spending heaps of time playing the beta and this demo.

1 thing kind of annoys me at the end of each RvsA game.

I don't like how once the Ghost destroy all the ADATS that the voice over guy goes

"Get under cover, air strike underway" (Or whatever he says) and then straight away the whole map "explodes".

Now some reasons why I don't like this.

- Would in real life as soon as the anti-air threats have been eliminated, would they do an air strike on friendlies? I think once the voice over says "Get under cover, air strike underway".... thats it. The game should just end there. The whole map shouldn't explode.

- When the whole map explodes, there isn't even really an explosion sound. The map just looks like it is catching on fire without any explosion sounds. Well there is some sounds, but they are not loud and it does't seem like it's actually blowing up. Also, explosions go off infront of your face and you don't even die, or get any damage.

I dunno, I don't think it looks good and should be removed.

Personally, I think that once the 3 ADATS are destroyed, the Ghost should have to get to an extraction zone. And then perhaps there should be a cinematic of the Ghost leaving the area in Blackhawks or APCs.

By the why, why do they do an airstrike on the area? Just to blow up all those houses?

Thats all from me.

Did I mention how good the demo is? thumbsup.gif

Comments welcome.....

Yes. there are other ways to communicate in GRAW. but they are far less specific. compass headings are the Gold Standard. Period. And these other "options' do not make my point any less meaningful. Compass headings are VITAL.

When in coop, a standard radio comms is ...

"Move West to this point (See ground marker) and keep your eyes north"

or

"Cover North while I advance across this road".

In coop (and any game mode really), general locations and "map grids" are simply useless when you are moving together as a slow and tight team. After all, you might make 4 or 5 small bounding moves in a single map grid. COMPASS HEADINGS are irreplaceable by these lesser options. when you need them, nothing else will do.

I'm sorry I wasn't attempting to lessen the importance of your earlier statements. I was just suggesting that alternatives could be used for those who cannot see the compass headings. You can also use the minimap as a reference but it is much harder because you have to establish on the map which direction you are looking and which direction relative to that is the bearing called out. More difficult than actually just using the compass but it can in the short term work as an alternative to the compass.

What about your team mates being able to know if you're a scrambler or not?

Nope, nothing makes them stand out more then the others.

More then that their starting weapon is the MP5A4

Why would you want to mark the scout/ scrambler guy out ? something funny ?

Maybe you misunderstood me, or I misunderstood your last post,

but by saying standing out, I meant that the teammates can't notice any difference between the classes, other then the weapons they are using :)

Maybe you misunderstood me, or I misunderstood your last post,

but by saying standing out, I meant that the teammates can't notice any difference between the classes, other then the weapons they are using :)

Np Lufo, that is exactly what I ment, why would anyone want a soldier to be marked different to his/her buddies in a "Ghost" team ? my question was to "Lethal.Ambition" ? Why?