MP Demo Feedback + Discussion

I admit I didn't care much for the beta test, mainly because no one from Grin or Ubi ever responded to any posts.

playing the demo good things I noticed:

> Vast graphical improvement over beta. Although distance draw is still a bit ugly/no detail or players drawn at max range using scoped sniper rifle (might just be my machine?)

> Sounds are improved, source direction is better. I like that I can tell exactly which weapon is firing and approx distance. although the m14 is really loud.

> Physics tightened up (cars don't hop for 10 mins after being naded) Although I did see a car door fly around for a while once.

> Load times greatly improved.

> Character animations are great

> Glad to see a game that is right between America's Army and Battlefield as far as player, and overall game speed.

Bad things:

> The who killed who log...Still too big, too many entires shown at once. please reduce it to two make it smaller..I do use it in TDM to see if the guy that shot me is still alive but it still blocks too much screen.

> Hit indicator. Don't need it, don't want it ....looks like a console game feature...(we hate consoles in PC land

> Grenade launchers. Without a minimum distance to arm explosive they are a joke...the nub cannon is used for CQB and this goes against everything else the game design seems to be geared towards.

> Hand grenade throw distance is overly exaggerated, Shorten up the full on throw by about 20m game distance.

> Spawn lock. What is the point of this? why is the timer only 45 secs?

> Speed of movement while reloading....dunno about you Devs, but can swap clips on an M4 and 1911 at a full sprint..really.

> The options/video screen is kinda goofy. took a while to get it to accept the correct aspect ratio and show fullscreen at the same time (may just be me though)

> The .50 cal sniper rifle needs to have scope sway or a serious penalty to accuracy when standing. For a weapon that will kill a player with one shot regardless of hit location on the target, and can shoot through single walls it needs a little reduction in mobility.

> Instant accuracy while running ...this is a real pisser, a running player can pull off a head-shot way too frequently over a player using stationary sights up aiming. I had hoped this would be adjusted from the beta..it wasn't. or maybe I ran across a player with an aimbot?

A word on camping:

Nobody likes campers because they catch you unaware. Same reason they don't like snipers, because you feel robbed of a chance to fight back. The only thing wrong with campers and or getting spawn camped is teamwork or lack thereof. If your spawn is getting hammered it's because the "team" is too busy doing their own thing. be a team player and go back and clear the campers out then push forward. I don't care for spawn raping because it seems cheap, and dirty, shooting some poor SOB before he has a chance to defend himself is a weak way to pad a score IMO. but containment just outside a spawn area is tactical and acceptable game play.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A word on camping:

Nobody likes campers because they catch you unaware. Same reason they don't like snipers, because you feel robbed of a chance to fight back. The only thing wrong with campers and or getting spawn camped is teamwork or lack thereof. If your spawn is getting hammered it's because the "team" is too busy doing their own thing. be a team player and go back and clear the campers out then push forward. I don't care for spawn raping because it seems cheap, and dirty, shooting some poor SOB before he has a chance to defend himself is a weak way to pad a score IMO. but containment just outside a spawn area is tactical and acceptable game play.

Agreed. Snipers are real-life (ala NORG)... complaining about snipers is something I've always felt bordered on whining. Perhaps that's why I've always enjoyed playing a sniper. :)

Spawn rape is a real problem, however, that obviously has no comparison in real-life. There does need to be some way of combating that issue. I've seen in other posts about the number of spawn points in GRAW 2 versus [GR]... seems like a simple way to at least help the problem. I'm no expert since I tend to play mostly SP....

-jk

Overall it's obvious the demo is much better than the beta. That's the good news.

The biggest impression I get when playing the demo is simple this: I get the feeling the performance of the in-game characters is based on what most of us (as very NON-professional warriors) would perform. Someone else previously said it right, "Aren't these guys supposed to be GHOSTS?"

I know I can change an M4 magazine at full run. Shouldn't the Ghosts?

It would seem to me that for certain aspects of in-game character performance, there should have been some serious baseline testing done. Some of the sound effects are way too loud... that's annoying to me as a computer game player, but I'm asking myself, "Does this effect the way the AI 'notices' me?" (Remember some of the [GR] mods that gave you silenced weapons, but they were only silenced for the sound effect? To the AI players the gun "sounded" like it was unsilenced, thus the AI was able to sense you from halfway across the playgrid?)

And frankly, the amount of recoil on some of the weapons seems way off to me as well. A professional soldier would know how to hold and control the weapon (anyone know the see-saw maneuver for a full-auto rifle?) to minimize the amount of recoil sight "spoilage".

The game seems technically "able" to me... what we're talking about are tweaks and setting adjustments. That gives me a good feeling that certain things might adjustable with a patch or two, if necessary.

-jk

Callsign threepoint

> Instant accuracy while running ...this is a real pisser, a running player can pull off a head-shot way too frequently over a player using stationary sights up aiming. I had hoped this would be adjusted from the beta..it wasn't. or maybe I ran across a player with an aimbot?

You can't even shoot while running.

You can't even shoot while running.

Okay, as silly as this sounds, I actually haven't tried shooting while running. IF this is the case and you can't do it then I do have an issue. Sometimes you want to lay down suppression or cover fire while running... you know it won't be accurate but you're looking for the tangos to keep their heads down while you move or your teammate move. If you literally can't shoot while running then this represents a HUGE issue in realism. I don't want it to be accurate (NORG states it won't be)... but to not allow it at all? BAD...

-jk

Callsign threepoint

I noticed some cool animations, like the but slide lol..

Also it's good when u run and can't shoot, I mean you Just cant in real life!

It's silly!..

Sound off!

You very much CAN run and shoot in real life, as long as the expectation isn't to be accurate, but rather to lay down suppression and cover fire. THAT is a very real tactic and if the game prevents you from firing while running it is doing a horrible disservice to the tactical nature of the game. I want to lay down a few dozen rounds above the tango's to keep them down and out of sight.

Yeah, the butt slide is a bit.. um... funny. :)

-jk

I wasn't really bothered with GRAW, But GRAW 2 has to be a buy for me when it's released! I can't wait!...

The wanderer returns.

Seriously? Is that Day?

I can verify that it isn't Daywanderer.

I was referring to a person who left without cause, without saying anything, wandering other game forums and beseiging them with his ArmA videos. Although, you won't see this person under his GR.net member name outside of GR.net (except for MSN Messenger)

Looks like the two usual suspects are back in business.

Edited by WytchDokta

You very much CAN run and shoot in real life, as long as the expectation isn't to be accurate, but rather to lay down suppression and cover fire.

I'm sorry, they don't allow real guns in the UK, but the local "gangsta's" seem to get hold of em some how :pirate: ...

But yeah...

You very much CAN run and shoot in real life, as long as the expectation isn't to be accurate, but rather to lay down suppression and cover fire.

I'm sorry, they don't allow real guns in the UK, but the local "gangsta's" seem to get hold of em some how :pirate: ...

But yeah...

My mind is my gun (and my words are my bullets). Will they send me to prison for possessing this 'gun'?

In reply to Ghost_sup:

I know players should not be able to fire when running according to game mechanics, and ye s it is silly. Suppression of ID'd targets while quickly moving to cover is a standard action/reaction to ambush.

My point was several times I have come across players in full sprint and without any change in animation they manage to shoot me in the head (instant kill) I know it wasn't a sniper because I re-spawn and instantly go after that player and find them in the same area and they are using either RX, SCAR, or G36 kits, and no I'm not really slow in my own reaction time. I'm not the fastest, but I ain't no slouch.

It should be an obvious change in animation when a player switches from full sprint to walk or sights up slow walk aiming.

One COULD run and shoot simultaneously- think playing GI Joe as a kid- but it's not a very effective team tactic. If it's jsut you, MSG Rambo, against half the Soviet army in Afghanistan, assault helicopter and all, then maybe firing your M-60 from the hip while at a dead sprint can pay off. For those of us with 'teammates', though, we should be able to rely on them to lay down the lead from a covered/concealed position to suppress enemies while we're running to the next similar position from which to reciprocate.

Not sure how many of you care about the relevance of this, but the whole my-buddy-covers-me-when-I-move-and-I-do-the-same-for-him thing is taught about halfway into the Basic Combat Training that every US Army soldier (Company D, 1st Battalion, 5th Special Forces Group has had slightly better training since BCT, but are indeed US Army soldiers) has received at least for the last 16 years, that I can personally vouch for.

I wonder if there's something to that... :hmm:

I Wish i could Run full speed and fire, even if its just REALLY innacurate.

Also, the But Slide is awesome. I use it all the time when pouncing on enemies when they KNOW where i am or if i am rushing them. They dont expect me to go Sliding around the corner, Gun blazing... normally they are expecting someone to come crouched / walking around the corner scoped ready to fire.

Also really good for when your taking fire, to run for cover, get an idea of where they are thanks to the hit detection rader thingy, swign around and return some fire, either killing them or forcing them to take cover normally too.

But, thats how i use it :)

- RnegadeVyp3r.

The TI in [GR] was incredibly accurate. When it was enabled, you could use it to pinpoint a direction to the source to within literally a few degrees. I did it many a time. Just turn slowly as the fire comes (obviously behind cover) until it JUST BARELY changes quadrants on the TI. Then back off 1/8th of a turn and move out. I've actually dropped many a Tango without ever seeing him that way- guesstimate range, use TI to fix direction, and cut loose a 'nade. WHAM!

And I can tell you the butt-slide thing only looks fun until you're at sick call getting stitched-up for your drunken antics...

=D

I just think too many people want the luxuries that people would look for in a car.

if we keep suggesting this -or- that, we may never see GRAW2.

to me, having no hit model doesn't take away my desire to play.

I'm more concerned about modding as this will determine how long GRAW2 will survive, or will they allow GRAW2 to ride the wave and whoa! GRAW3?

all the stuff brought up here is just sprinkles on the cupcake.

The title has to be worth it for people to want to mod it. That was what kept GR1 going for so long, the base title was excellent and the mod communitty grew around it. This game will live and die not on mods, but on wheter or not people stick with it for more than 3 months, like it's predessor. If you used salt instead of sugar when you made the cupcakes, nobody will care about the sprinkles....

touche'. good analogy. :thumbsup:

I was wondering what is the point of haveing two assault rifles like MR-C and G36 and only one had grenade,also is it possible to change scopes on the rifles for example scope from SCAR-L to RX-4?

I think you hit the issue that peeps have with GRAW2. pre-made weapons kits that can't be modified. But with this delay, let's see if that all changes.

I had a few good rounds last night...

The average ping is really good...

Atmosphere and feel is really good..

And damn, i can hear those rebels/ghosts walking near me...

There was this "ghost" hiding behind a fence, but i didn't see him, but i heard him, then i was like ######.. what was that.. lol..

So buying this game..

Btw, can anyone tell me how I know which attachments I will have when I choose kits in T vs T?
Attachments are class-dependent. I haven't tried every weapon, but this is what I found using the SCAR-H (I would guess they're all the same):

Demolitions = GL

Assault = Foregrip

Rifleman = Silencer

(I might have the Assault & Rifleman mixed-up).