MP Demo Feedback + Discussion

first impression.. hmmm.. not much different from the BETA....

BAD:

graphics seem a little better but for some reason it wont let me use all of my cards power... it limits the graphical level to medium ( ive got a 8800GTS 320mb ) the servers are either all full or never load into game.. ive lost count of the Match will begin when server is ready comments on the smaller servers...

GOOD:

Loving the new weapons and weapon selections... the new kits are ace.. the gameplay is fast and hectic which is always a plus in my book..

You can't set the texture quality to High because you don't have 512Mb ram on your gfx card.

fair enough... seems daft though as the engine looks like a tweaked version of the original.... and the 8800 is the hottest card around ( hmmm cliche alert lol ) on the unpatched version i could set it to high and it played like a dream...

Just as Halli_*BDA* said, it's possible to tweak it yourself in the renderer_settings.xml, but the reason it's limited in the menu settings is that the normal RAM is so much slower than the RAM you have on your gfx card, so if we were to allow high texture settings other complications might be a result of that instead.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

would like to see the direction markings on the compass enlarged.When our clan plays together, a lot of our communication over teamspeak involves the use of the compass.Such things as "lets head North" or "2 enemy spotted Southwest of you".....the compass markings are almost non-legible,making things rather annoying.Even if just the main ones,N,S,E,W were a bit bigger it would make it alot easier.

One more thing....I like the new maps, but the mini-map is way too zoomed in. It's not very useful unless I press "M"

I thought the recoil model was great on GRAW1. Why change?

I agree with those who have posted about the need for larger compass heading indicators.

Another thing that was missing from GRAW1 and GRAW2 that I had not been able to put my finger on until yesterday is this. When you brought up the map in GR, you could hover your mouse over a player's position indicator and it would display the player's name. This is a really great tool, especially when playing on a server with people you don't know. It would be nice to have that feature again.

All in all, GRAW2 does seem much better than GRAW1. The graphics are improved and the new recon versus assualt game type is a blast.

This game seems so incomplete and unpolished, which shows a real lack of thought for gaming.

It has only very basic elements and settings for the in-game browser and the server has almost no options.

Do these programmers actually play combat games?

I don't know what you're basing this comment on but, you obviously haven't played GRAW1. because the play,graphics,sounds, removal of popping sound when nade is thrown is first impressions that I got between the two.

I'll put it this way...GRAW2 as it is now, is waaaaay more of an improvement over GRAW1 was at release. we all knew what votex of hell GRAW1 was.. :rolleyes:

I agree with those who have posted about the need for larger compass heading indicators.

Another thing that was missing from GRAW1 and GRAW2 that I had not been able to put my finger on until yesterday is this. When you brought up the map in GR, you could hover your mouse over a player's position indicator and it would display the player's name. This is a really great tool, especially when playing on a server with people you don't know. It would be nice to have that feature again.

All in all, GRAW2 does seem much better than GRAW1. The graphics are improved and the new recon versus assualt game type is a blast.

This is a great idea. As well, make the N-S-E-W a bit larer along with the area displayed in the mini map.

Great job overall.

Semper Fi,

R_45

One more thing....I like the new maps, but the mini-map is way too zoomed in. It's not very useful unless I press "M"

I suggest assigning that to your thumb mouse button for quick access. :thumbsup:

No thumb mouse button :)

Recon vs Assault feedback:

Maybe I missed it, but is there an indicator for when you, yourself are tagged by the Ghosts? I'm curious since it would be a nice thing to know as an assault player, that is playing defense and you have been tagged and you cover has been blown yet you have no idea.

I would love to see that. Maybe limit it to if there is a scrambler on your team and if they are alive. Otherwise you tell. Still it would be nice and I think adds a bit more balance to the tagging ability of all the Ghost players.

I suggest assigning that to your thumb mouse button for quick access. :thumbsup:

No thumb mouse button :)

ARGH! Then my suggestion is that you buy a new mouse. :P

Recon vs Assault feedback:

Maybe I missed it, but is there an indicator for when you, yourself are tagged by the Ghosts? I'm curious since it would be a nice thing to know as an assault player, that is playing defense and you have been tagged and you cover has been blown yet you have no idea.

I would love to see that. Maybe limit it to if there is a scrambler on your team and if they are alive. Otherwise you tell. Still it would be nice and I think adds a bit more balance to the tagging ability of all the Ghost players.

Haven't though about it so I don't know.

But, when we test the scrambler usually lets the player that is tagged know as he wants him to sit tight and wait for the "medic" to relieve him of the burden. So once again that plays heavier on the "team work" aspect which RvsA is designed to focus on.

Quick thoughts after a weekend of HOT demo action...for this post I will note some things I am missing, then what I love, and lastly where I am comming from...

1. Things I miss/not a fan of:

-Ability to program same key to backslide AND crouch...I liked how the two features were double bound in GRAW...If I wanted to siomply crouch out of a run, I would just let off the run key for a split second...for me the less movement keys to shift my hand the better.

-the M99...I love the weapon, but hate its "shotgun" like effect...this weapon needs some sort of balance, for players to come out of a full run and instantly and accurately fire a .50 cal round while standing is just silly...could the "drift" of the weapon simulating the dificulty of holding it steady while standing be increased or something?...some games are just M99 fests.

-Strafe Sprint...its a love hate thing...i think being able to sidestep while sprinting speads up the gameplay, but it also alows people to run back and forth between objects to spot the enemy since they can run to the side and face foward...when assualting I love it, but when holding a position I hate it...I think with gernades and 203s and smoke there are pleanty of things to speed up the game...imo sprinting should be allowed with the move foward key only....I hated this in GRAW as well, since people were virtually impossible to hit while doing this...due to hit box lag or something...

-Sneak quiet walk...I like the new walk speed, but how come no "shuffle" option...its a drag to hear an enemy and know you cant "sneak" up on him since the quietest you can move is walk...which is loud enough to be discovered....if side sprint was removed and sneak added that would help alot whith game pace...many times I have to stop and wait, when i would prefer to be aggressive.

-0 distance arming 203s (rifle nades)...a shotgun 203 is silly...a minimum arming distance would be nice...something to discourage it as a primary arm weapon.

-the rifleman 3 kit M14 iron sights...ok probably done for OP reasons, but damn this ironsight is tight...as close range I can rock with this 2 shot beast but any enemy in cover or moving or at the slightest range is SO hard to track...hard..nah its impossible...since other guns like the ScarH and G36K can two shot and have open iron sights...why not the M14....I do believe though that a red dot reflex scope M14 would be a little insane in the power department.

-gernade toss...the underhand overhand toss system is wierd and still after a year of GRAW hard to do quickly and accurately....in Americas Army game a player can toggle gernade toss style with their "alternate fire" button..perhaps this can be done with the "select fire" button in GRAW 2???

2. Things I LOVE:

-The guns...a buffet of ownage and each has a different flavor...not a single one I dont like from the rifleman no scope m14 to the g18 to the .45 pistol, to the mp5A4 to the new Rx4...love em, great job...adds A LOT of fun to the game. Unlike GRAW the weapon you choose effects the way you move and play....really brings me back to GR orig.

-Limited 203s and gernades...SO nice not to have an artillary war like in GRAW where players had so many gernades....sure we all want a second third and fourth gernade...BUT we sure as heck dont want our enemy to have them...seriosuly 1-2 gernades/203s is ENOUGH! Too many explovies gets very annoying, especially on limited death servers.

-Kit selection...now I dont know if full kit customization is allowed in the full retail, but I like the demo limitations...I never liked the GRAW scenerio of people carrying full scoped out heavy rifles with 4 gernades AND 4 203s AND having a silenced scoped auto cannon....making a player tactically chose what to carry should be halmark in a tactical shooter, enncouraging team work and weapon coordination across players....If more customization is allowed, can it be limited somehow...like no gernades for a person carrying a 203, and no scope for assault class or demolitions class???

3. Where I am comming from:

Been in the series since the original Rainbow 6...played all Rainbow 6 expansions, GR expansions, and GRAW 1. My Rouge Spear experience is why i love the M14 :).....anyway GR was missing some things for the future...GRAW was an excellent platform, but was dull and boring in the long run...though I liked domination mode ALOT...GRAW2 seems to really take advantage of the GRAW platfrom and bring it out...this demo sold me on the full retail...which I wasnt going to buy...I am excited for the potential I see after playing the demo this weekend.

This is the right spot for a bug report, correct?

1) I think most people know this one--the demo does not work with Vista or some feature of many Vista computers. Buildings are shown as black and nothing else appears onscreen except for names and a bright backround. No textures, can't see the ground, can't see other players, etc.

2) I redownloaded the demo on XP and it seemed to be going fine. Unfortunately, it crashed during the patching process and every time I try to load the game I get an error message. It says the following:

"Crash in application version: 29520.2404

Attempt to grow archive bundles\quick.bundle beyond limits

Renderer: normal

Physics : threaded"

My system meets the minimum requirements (barely) except for one. It claims my graphic driver is not a high enough version, but it gave me that on my uber Vista computer, too. For the XP machine, the message said I have 6600 and need 7.100 or higher. My other computer has a GTS8800 and was found wanting, so I don't think that message has much significance.

Edit: I ran the detection again and now it reports that I don't even have the Ageia driver installed, despite the fac thtat I installed it when prompted! Is this a side effect of the failed patching?

Any work-arounds? :unsure:

Edited by Gregory

This is the right spot for a bug report, correct?

1) I think most people know this one--the demo does not work with Vista or some feature of many Vista computers. Buildings are shown as black and nothing else appears onscreen except for names and a bright backround. No textures, can't see the ground, can't see other players, etc.

If you mean like this:

graw22007060811102908ej6.th.png

then that is just a driver setting, you need to disable overriding the application's AA settings in the Nvidia control panel and leave it on Application Controlled.

Apart from a mouse wheel problem it runs fine in Vista for me :)

Anyone know the reason for not staying peeked when in a crouch position and tapping left/right? You can do it while standing up, but not crouched? Why the change?

hi

would like to see the direction markings on the compass enlarged.When our clan plays together, a lot of our communication over teamspeak involves the use of the compass.Such things as "lets head North" or "2 enemy spotted Southwest of you".....the compass markings are almost non-legible,making things rather annoying.Even if just the main ones,N,S,E,W were a bit bigger it would make it alot easier.

Absolutely. this is a very big deal. Hopefully, this will be addressed so that each resolution can have a large, easily readable compass.

Anyone know the reason for not staying peeked when in a crouch position and tapping left/right? You can do it while standing up, but not crouched? Why the change?

This was noted earlier. It is a huge hurt of they intended this. and a big QA miss if they did not intend this. Hopefully, they will fix this. Or a critical tactical manuever will be missing from GRAW 2 that was excellent in GRAW 1.

Im surprising myself with this post but.... this demo is very promising. I cant tell much because until july im on limited connection which is blocking online gaming. But i've downloaded the demo and im testing the game on lan server. Those are my very subjective and deficient ( empty lan server) feelings about this demo :

Pros :

- New weapons ! They look and sound just incredible ! I think i didnt saw all of them but if im correct there are more than 15 weapons to choose from, way better than in GRAW1. And what can i say about MG21E and Mk45 ... just :wub: !

- Tac Map ! its a feature stright from [GR] !

- New MP modes... i dont know them all but and i didnt even played it with live ppl but RvA seems to be very interesting . Game is supposed to have lots of MP modes available on 9 maps. Sounds very promising, i hope we will have Siege and HH from begining .

- Level of detail in many aspects of the game, everything seems to be more polished compared to GRAW1. Even G18 muzzle flash is different and better, grenade detonation is more realistic, has better sound and its more "dirty" than GRAW1 weird nade detonation. When you are shoting at metal obstacles, sparkles generated by bullet impact create realtime lightning, lots of realy impresing stuff.

- Lots of promises which came with demo release, graw2 is supposed to be modable, more userfriendly product, but ive heard lots of promises just before GRAW1 release so lets wait and see. But autopatcher looks realy good.

- Kit selection. Another great feature from [GR].

- Recoil, i think its better ( bigger) than in GRAW, i hope it will make firefights last a bit longer :)

Cons:

- Overall feel is very GRAW1 like, im talking about calavera map, same lightning, same objects and textures. Maybe this is not con but this game is supposed to be a sequel not expansion pack. I realy hope that maps from full game will be different than same looking boring GRAW1 maps.

- Lots of bugs in demo, especially sound bugs , its like pinch of salt in very tasty chocolate icecream :) Weapons sound just incredible and those nasty bugs are spoiling the efect. I hope aal this issues will be fixed before release.

- Draw distance & distant textures. I have a feeling that there is some progres but i still thing that diesel is not capable to deal with large open maps... i hope im wrong.

- FOV issue. I still have feeling like beeing constantly zoomed in, fov is to narrow because of that , and everything seems to ba bit to big IMHO.

It a pitty that GRAW didnt looked like that from the begining. After GRAW1 disapointment i said to myself that i'll never buy next GRAW, after demo I have to say that I'm not so sure anymore, i will way for playes reviews this time but if full game will be like demo plus many more , it is possible that ill buy it. You Guys should organize promotion like " send us video of you smashing your GRAW1 copy and you receive GRAW2 50% off discount ticket " :) .

Love this demo. The fun factor is some of the best I have had in a long time, last time I got so engrossed in a game like this was playing Pterodons' "Vietcong". I normally play Coop only but the MP demo is a blast.

I hope the servers’ settings will have a filter on the release so I can configure ping ratings and server styles.

Keep up the great work! :D

I really like the demo. Better than GRAW 1.

There are some issues, like the stupid thing won't crouch until I pound the button 10 times, can't sort the server list, and there's just a lot of things that happen in menus and what not that you just don't know what's going on. I still don't know what that damn beeping is in ReconVAssault. Sometimes menus sit there paused with no notification as to what we're waiting for, etc etc.

Overall though, pretty fun.

It has been said before in this thread but thought i would echo my annoyance too. The orange splodge when you hit someone is very annoying. At first it did not really bother me, until you start getting long range hits, that orange circle when it flashes covers the person your aiming at.

As your target is far away he is very tiny the orange flash when he is hit can cover him completely and sometimes i lose the target completely as he was running in towards buildings so because of the orange flash i lose which way he went or cannot even see him to shoot cos it covers your vision.

Please make it way way smaller or something. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee

Wanted to say I was playing the other day in a RvA server, and actually had a couple of double kills happen. Me and the guy I was in a firefight with actually killed each other, with bullets no less. I have to say I was happy to see this. Very happy to see this.

Sorry if it was brought up already... but I did not have time to hit the search function =p

Here' a weird one. I had a rank increase and hit "H" to upgrade and froze. Couldn't move my player at all but I could see people moving around. I just stood there until somebody killed me. Clanmates said I was just standing there.

Oh, and please give proper WS support and tweak the FOV.

Thank You!