MYTOAN Sniper Mission/Map Mod.

SOTOMac

"MYTOAN Sniper" Mission/Map Mod.

A Map and Mission Mod by : K1ller.

Reviewed by : SOTOMac.

Modder's Website.

Download the Mod here.

File Size : 14.6MB.

The Replay ( Note - You'll need SPV4 to view this Replay ) : Download Replay here.

Mod Type : This is a Custom Map and Mission based on You and Your Team moving through a ruined Villiage or Town. You and Your Squad seem to have gone the wrong way as is now Indicated on Your Map. This has prompted a Decision by the Team Leader to take the Squad in the - NOW - Right direction. You and Your Team must make it through this ruined Town ( Eliminating all resistance / Including some very well hidden Snipers ) all the way to extract. The Mission can be played in both SP, and MP Mode ( As long as both the Server and the Client have the Mod Installed ).

mytoan_sniper05.jpg

Introduction.

I Downloaded and Installed this Mod with the anticipation of engaging in a Great Urban Sniper Battle. While I was not Let Down in any way at the Successful Completion of this Mission, I WAS surprised that the Mission ended when It did. The following review is My Impression of this Mission and Map Mod, as well as It's features.

mytoan_sniper02.jpg

Originality - 10 out of 10.

The Impression that You'll get by the look of this Town is that its been extensively Bombed from the Air and Hammered by Artillery. This presents a very challenging Obstacle to those You and Your Team who need to traverse this Obstacle. BE WARY - There are no doubt Enemy Forces still alive and waiting for possible reinforcement hidden in the Ruins of this Town.

The Tension on this Mission is palpable...

Once You Insert on this Map You had better get some cover before You look around. There are so many nooks and crannies that You COULD get shot from, that its a smart bet to "Slug-Crawl" around a bit and see what You see.

mytoan_sniper03.jpg

Sounds - 9 out of 10.

All areas of this Map behave sound-wise as they should. This Map on Insert is very Quiet and I found this very Disconcerting as its usually Quiet before a Storm. There is some nice use of music that creates a Mood in one of the Buildings that really makes You have to concentrate on what You're doing or You'll get bagged by the Tangos in short Order. The Synchonicity though of this music with the task at hand really creates an effect that I feel is a New and Innovative one. First its Quiet as You engage, Quiet again as You enage again, and finally Quiet again as You clear to the structure. Then - As You enter one of the Ruined Buildings, the Tension gets ratcheted as this music starts up and gets You looking at every shadow - Thinking Your Time is near. Great Mood - GJ K1ller...

While this is not a Critism it is a suggestion. Due to the Fact that this Map and Mission are supposedly created on the Premise that this is a ruined Town and that You and Your Forces have basically overun the Enemy and they are now on the Defensive. This would suggest to Me that the Sounds of overflying Aircraft or Closely Incoming Arty could - And IMO - Would really enhance this Mod while its being used. The Tension is already at a very stiff level, that with added Arty and/or overflying Aircraft I'd have to give the Sounds included with this Mod, an 11 out of 10.

mytoan_sniper04.jpg

Textures - 9 out of 10.

The Textures used in this Map Mod were really what You would expect for a Bombed out Town. The Buildings look Blasted and very Destroyed. In fact, there is not one Intact structure in the whole Town. My Only critism of the Textures with this Mod would be to say that if there had been areas on the map where there were knee high grass ( Say both in Town and/or around its environs ), the Teams attempting this Map and Mission would have to be much much more careful.

Trigger Zones - Not applied to this rating as its not a necessary feature with the Mission Included.

There really aren't any Tigger Zones to speak of that I could see on this Map and accompanying Mission. The Tangos are pretty much set up in Positions that they've been placed or moved to while the Town was being bombed.

Features - 9 out of 10.

This Map is a really Impressive representation of a Bombed out and Blasted Town. It's completely drenched in a Mood of Impending Doom for the Unwary from Insert to Extract. The simply Incredible number of angles that a Team can get shot from at any time on this map is simply astounding but very welcome. That said - Bring Your Head on a Swivel for this One...

Again the use of Music while clearing one of the Buildings deserves a second mention here as It prompted Me to first think about it Ingame and then mention it here on how the added sound of Arty or Aircraft on overflight would have only enhanced the gritty-ness of this Mod/Mission.

Unfortunatley - The Mod loses a point here for the Limited number of Enemy Forces that were/are left in the Town as You and Your Team attempt to make it to Extract. Other than that, this Mod gets full points in this catageory.

3D Geometry - 10 out of 10.

This Map is a very Impressive Creation from K1ller. Its so Impressive that I relish the Next Creation from this Mod Maker. Again, the Degree of Destruction is portrayed very well by the Maker of this Mod, and I found not one Collision Property Problem or hangup on any Object while on this Map/Mission.

Overall Impression.

My Overall Impression of this Map/Mission Mod is that I really liked and enjoyed it. The Only critism I've made was that I would've liked to have seen more Enemy hidden within the Ruins of this Town. Additionally - It would've been an even harder task than it was to clear the Main Bombed out building if there had been more than 2 Tangos in the Halls and Stairs as You and Your Team cleared the structure Flight by Flight - Going up...

All in All I would recommend this Mod to anyone who'd Download it. The Zip File works just fine when extracted to a Temporary Folder ( I never extract to "GR" as I Drag and Drop after all Mods after their extraction ) and I found no Issues to report in that regard.

Overal Score.

This Map Mod earned a Points Total of 47 out of 50, which translates to a 94% Approval Rating from this Reviewer. A Big Thanks goes out to K1ller for releasing this Mod to the Community...

>--<

Sincerely,

Is it just me? or is anybody else getting CTDs with this map? I figure it may be the textures, or lighting, or something. I've gotten three in a row CTD. However, I'll admit before it does CTD, the mission gives that feeling of impending doom. I take my time when playing a new mission, but I've really taken my time with this one....

• 6 months later...

Very nice map.

Anybody know if there's a command-map that has the offset right ?

In the ENV-file it's set at -200 for X and Y, but with that setting the icons on the command-map are not at the right places.

I tried -195 to -205 for X and Y, and nothing worked right.