Tinker goes Technical!

Tinker

This are masks for network.

This basically means what kind on IPs are available for you in your network

255.255.255.0 - this means that you have 256 IPs available for you. Usually we use 192.168.1.* range. That zero at the end of the mask means that you will have first 3 numbers fixed, but for the last one you can use number from 0-255

for 255.255.0.0 you can use 65536 IPs. First 2 numbers are fixed, and you can change the last 2 numbers

Are you thinking of going into a career as a computer technician?

Yes, have to find a new career now. My crane driving days are over unfortunatly.

Tinker

:)

Was you a tower crane operator? a long time ago i had the pleasure of driving a crane on a demolition site ..wooohooo!! man what great fun, you know the one with a huge metal ball on the end of it haha! smashing time i had.

I wish my testing was online lol. Tuesday i'm going for a 3 hour exam Cram and then taking a test (There is a 4 hour window for it) that will give our company a new status and bonuses on sales. With this test i get the small business solution certification for SBS 2003 + the newly updated MCP. (Both of which are microsoft tests). Most of the stuff i am already doing but it should be interesting as some tests have multiple correct answers... grr. The Testing is free though... our distribution pays for hotel, meals exam cram (1200+ value) and the test(100)

God i hate testing lol! wish me luck!

Glad your doing well with your course Tinker. The A+ is the 1st step and between that and networking essensials you'll learn the most that you will apply in the real world unless you decide to work on servers/routers and such.

Thnx again Sunraa

:)

Q for anyone:

:shifty:

I have a pentium 4, Packard Bell. Last year i had a new mobo fitted, not the same as the original. Now my system restore disc no longer works. What are my options to make a complete restore now?

Tinker

Now my system restore disc no longer works. What are my options to make a complete restore now?

Unfortunately, you'll need to acquire a new copy of the OS of your choice. OEM restore discs are pretty much only for the exact same machine they ship with.

:(

Thnx Dannik, I was assuming that would be the option. Now i have my notebook happily running wireless for now, and this pc is my main and all fine, both running XP. Concidering i am hoping to be a tech someday, do you think it would be wise to install a diffrent operating system on it?

Tinker

Concidering i am hoping to be a tech someday, do you think it would be wise to install a diffrent operating system on it?

The answer is "yes" as being a tech, you need to know how to work with various OS's, even legacy ones like Win98/ME that are unfortunately still on some systems. Play around with Linux and even Mac OSX if you have a chance.

Although I am not crazy about Vista in it's current form, one of the reasons I bought it and installed it is to get familiar with it just so I could help answer friend's questions about it.

• 3 weeks later...