Can we tag enemy in Satellite view now?

Although I used the tactical map a bit (in GRAW 1 PC obviously) to setup team seperations for flank manuevers and such, I must I admit I used it less so for that. Mostly, I used it to give one step team advancements and for recon as a squad leader. I would look ahead for trouble such as visible patrols etc.

2 Things always struck me as odd, however, about the satellite images.

#1.

You cannot tag a enemy soldier that you can see, plain as day, walking around (from satellite view)

#2.

You cannot scroll the image too far, even though the satellite in orbit need only alters its lens angle by like .00000001 degree in order to swing its view miles around. After all, its in orbit.

Now before anyone says .."But sleepdoc", then you would have to spawn every soldier in the level if they let the satellite look all over the place and that would simply bog down the game not to mention it would ruin many future surpises ...."

Yea. I know. But satellites can do that. And you could "deagregate" and "reagregate" spawns as you look at them. In other words, "spawn" them in the area the camera is looking, then "unspawn" them when the camera leaves their area. This is called "the bubble" and many games use variants of this technique.

OK. OK. Im rambling now. I admit it. But I am still curious about these 2 issues.

HAVE THEY BEEN CHANGED/IMPROVED/ETC IN GRAW 2 PC??

Edited by Sleepdoc

#2.

You cannot scroll the image too far, even though the satellite in orbit need only alters its lens angle by like .00000001 degree in order to swing its view miles around. After all, its in orbit.

I'd say that you're simply not looking at the entire image at the same time. You can't control the satellite itself as a puny team leader. ;)

So what you can scroll around is the bigger picture that you are given by your superiors, just that you're zoomed in a bit.

#1.

You cannot tag a enemy soldier that you can see, plain as day, walking around (from satellite view)

Oh! I just though of something. Maybe you it always uses the satellite view in combination with the other view that tags to triangulate the position. That could explain why you can't tag with the satellite alone as it doesn't have detailed enough knowledge of the dept.

Hmm. Well. That is an interesting "story line" for the technology. Clancy would be proud. He likes to explain his stuff with details.

And this may be hte logic they were intending. This would eplain why red diamonds dont necessarily dissappear when tagged soldiers in GRAW1 leave all players lines of sight, but they do when they go under overhangs etc. Did you ever notice that in GRAW1?

Anyway, it is an interesting idea you came up with. And since the only fun we can have with GRAW2 right now is talking about, Lets keep doing it.

I vaguely remember something. I will have to listen to that voice sequence again.

But I know that in mission coop, if my buddy sees a guy, i automatically get a tag on him pretty soon after. and visa versa. In other words, tags only occur when one of the guys puts mark-one eyeballs on them. They never occur simply becuase they are visible on satellite. And that is the nature of my question. Why not? Or has this been changed in GRAW2PC?

In other words, tags only occur when one of the guys puts mark-one eyeballs on them.

Don't forget the Drone though. The lack of depth argument makes a lot of sense for the satellite view. Of course, I don't know if this was actually reasoned out by GRiN or if a simple gameplay decision was made; it would be too easy if you could see every bad guy on the map because you always have satellite cover available. In contrast, the drone can be controlled by the mission parameters.

In other words, tags only occur when one of the guys puts mark-one eyeballs on them.

Don't forget the Drone though.

Right. I did forget about the drone. But that just enhances my point. If I can see them in ANY WAY, I should be able to tag them.

And to your point, I'm sure the "No Sat Tagging" was a gameplay decision. I'm just getting bored waiting for GRAW2 and finding any little thing to discuss, no matter how meaningless or irrelevant. :lol:

Edited by Sleepdoc