Gamespy worried

Here is a preview from Gamespy.

Link

However, this "perfect storm" of military power can only happen if everything is working properly, and our preview build looks like it's way too early to be a good indicator of how the final game will play out. We were warned about AI, collision, and pathfinding issues, and for good reason. Soldiers, tanks, and unmanned recon vehicles regularly get stuck on corners or walls or fences and the AI for friendly units is sorely inconsistent.

Maybe June is too early for release :unsure:

Edited by Hockeystick

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure those are the smallest of worries Grin can fix with the game... I'll bet they already have it fixed. I've seen issues like this before in many other betas and you would be surprised how quickly they can fix them.

This is what I find troubling:

The missions feature multiple objectives and the game is open-ended enough for you to approach each one in your own way. Some missions even have alternate drop points.

They don't say that you can complete the objectives in any order, and they don't say that all missions have alternate drop points.

The funny/sad/ironic point is that, if someone from Grin would say "Hey guys, here are the issues we are working on" I think everyone here would reply "yeah, those are important to fix. Take your time to get it right."

I know we don't represent the entire customer pool, but I like to think that if you please the peopel here, you will win a lot of new customers outside of GR.net.

Lastly, I don't care what anyone says, this is another example of a miscommunication of game features that should be clarified.

If this were a console game we were waiting on you could be sure we would have an answer to our questions before we even thought about asking them. But at least UBI is reaching out further then I thought they would with at least acknowledging there is a PC version. I was kind of in shock when we had a beta test :blink:

More miscommunication and open info rather than tiny bits and pieces would boost sales a lot... On almost every forum/site I visit lately, I see most everyone is ether bashing GRAW2, saying they will wait for a final review or some word from a friend that played the final product.

All in all Grin does open the Coms every now and then so one can only hope they will say something sooner than after the game is released.

All in all Grin does open the Coms every now and then so one can only hope they will say something sooner than after the game is released.

This is the only true statement worth reading, Not at you Ron, but too many whine and the game is not here, I'm sure when it is released they will appreciate feedback, but all this, "I think" and "why are we not kept in the loop" is the usual stuff we hear every time (GRAW1 and now GRAW2 pre release). I'm not worried and accept GRIN have pushed GRAW 2 much further than most think, in the direction of the [Ghost Recon]. I did alot of script browsing from the Beta and there is alot of new ideas and features that was apart of [GR] that will hopefully make GRAW closer in feeling to it's heritage. If anyone played the original GR and remember the feeling it gave, from the stuff I've read out of the script code, you will be surprised on the new features they (GRIN) have not mentioned but included, it's there, in the code.

viii

I don't know that it's a matter of whether or not we are being kept in the loop. The problem is that the infomation that is released is contradictory &/or confusing. I do not believe we are entitled to any information, but it would be nice.

Regardless, I agree that Grin will do a great job. I'm so confident, in fact, that I preordered 2 copies back in February (if not earlier). That was even without the free t-shirt enticement!

I don't know that it's a matter of whether or not we are being kept in the loop. The problem is that the infomation that is released is contradictory &/or confusing. I do not believe we are entitled to any information, but it would be nice.

Regardless, I agree that Grin will do a great job. I'm so confident, in fact, that I preordered 2 copies back in February (if not earlier). That was even without the free t-shirt enticement!

Which information is confusing or contradictory ? it's good to actually state what you have read and what is confusing/ contradictory. As for the rest of your post, I totally agree, I'd like to post alot of things I've found out re: GRAW2 but due to NDA on the beta, it's hard to word it without getting my hands slapped. I'm sure other coders/ scriptwriters would agree. checkout this titbit http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43779

I do believe that Grin are bound to not post/ talk about GRAW2 till release and it must be killing them :shifty: but you still find them reading the forums, nearly everyday. From what I've seen, re the script code, there is a definite shift to the original side and features that will add elements lost from the original GR back into GRAW2. The number of new objects alone would increase the editors usable props (items) some 100% and other aspects like variable lighting conditions. Things that were set into the main game and not variable to each map are now part of the map environment, this gives many possibilities. I'll have to stop rambling .. I know Grin can not confirm anything I've mentioned but other scrip writers could.

You can't get everything but you can get closer to all the things you want, I believe GRIN have done this. Even when the allusive DEMO comes out, don't expect to get to see all the little extras as different maps will use different features and the demo will defiantly not be the whole game, but a sneak peak, to get you to buy.

I too have GRAW2 pre ordered since early on and can not wait for release.

best regards

viii

Which information is confusing or contradictory ? it's good to actually state what you have read and what is confusing/ contradictory.
Over the past few days there have been a number of items, and I don't want to repeat & retype all of the discussions, but here are a few off the top of my head:

It's not exactly clear if the cross-com camera will rotate 360. Early articles state that it will, but none of the screenshots, videos, or official statements state this explicitly.

Is mission coop single objective like reported in the interview with Bo? Or multiple objectives like suggested before and after the interview?

Are there weather effects as stated in various sources?

Does "realistic lighting" mean day/night cycles? Some media sources say "yes." Official media on the X360 version says "yes," but the PC version is still vague.

How many MP maps will there be? Some say 8, some say 9. The offical site doesn't say, but give the impression that there are more. The offical site says it will include the GRAW 2 360 maps, but someone suggested that they left out "a selection of."

What about weapons? The I think the article only states the Rx4 (I think). (I was in the beta, too ;) ).

Many people were left with the impression that there were multiple insertions on every map, but the article only says "some" maps. Also, the article says that there are multiple objectives, and each can be approached in different ways, but early articles left people with the impress that they could be completed in any order.

This is only a partial list, and I already know the concrete answers to most of these issues. However, some of people don't know the answers, and each new bit of press leaves at least some people scratching their head.

Do I think some of these issues should be clarified? Yes. Do I think we're entitled to any clarification? No.

The missions feature multiple objectives and the game is open-ended enough for you to approach each one in your own way. Some missions even have alternate drop points.

They don't say that you can complete the objectives in any order, and they don't say that all missions have alternate drop points.

None of the previous info has said that all missions have alternative drop points either. It's once again something that has arrived from speculations. It's said that the game will feature multiple insertions. Nothing about on how many missions.

Objectives most likely has to do with the storyline of the missions. Some stories in mission design open up as you play due to consequences during the missions that wasn't known to the player at start, while others are more simple missions where everything goes as originally planed and on those you could have all the objectives from start. So it all comes down to how each mission is designed to bring the story forwards. Not all missions in GR1 had objectives that could be completed in any order either.

Dam you do a lot of post reading, answers I have are in the post

I don't want to repeat & retype all of the discussions, but here are a few off the top of my head:

It's not exactly clear if the cross-com camera will rotate 360. Early articles state that it will, but none of the screenshots, videos, or official statements state this explicitly.

NO IDEA

Is mission coop single objective like reported in the interview with Bo? Or multiple objectives like suggested before and after the interview?

NO IDEA

Are there weather effects as stated in various sources?

Depends how you define weather, I have seen in code: the ability to set an effect (like fog) into a specific area and control it's density & occupancy of the area

Does "realistic lighting" mean day/night cycles? Some media sources say "yes." Official media on the X360 version says "yes," but the PC version is still vague.

Again in code: Enviromental lighting is scripted against time, where in GRAW1 there was nothing like that. You work it out, I'd say yes, but don't expect a 10 minute map to realistically cycle day to night, but maybe expect that you go into a map at 1200 noon and it's daylight and do it again at 2200Hrs and it's night.

How many MP maps will there be? Some say 8, some say 9. The official site doesn't say, but give the impression that there are more. The official site says it will include the GRAW 2 360 maps, but someone suggested that they left out "a selection of."

NO IDEA (but posts from UBi say 9 different ones used in 6/7 different modes, A map in the single player story line can cover several multiplayer areas, which would lead to in effect more than nine, but it's speculation.

What about weapons? The I think the article only states the Rx4 (I think). (I was in the beta, too ;) ).

I can answer this one but how accurate shall I be with the NDA, I read the code, there are alot: M416, M240, MK19, MSG90, PSG1, RX4, RPG7, M14 SCAR, M32, this is part of a list from the code and I'm not inc explosives.

Many people were left with the impression that there were multiple insertions on every map, but the article only says "some" maps. Also, the article says that there are multiple objectives, and each can be approached in different ways, but early articles left people with the impress that they could be completed in any order.

Too much for me to answer, and your point is valid.

This is only a partial list, and I already know the concrete answers to most of these issues. However, some of people don't know the answers, and each new bit of press leaves at least some people scratching their head.

Do I think some of these issues should be clarified? Yes. Do I think we're entitled to any clarification? No.

Your right, and to be honest I don't run with the crowd that are asking the questions and the answers do come from some speculative sources, the answers I gave are not speculative but from the script files. Sorry if I sounded course in my question to you, your not a big rumour spreader, but alot do, and it leads to some miss information and this whole wheel effect of yes/no. could be/ would be posting which I truly hate, as I assume alot of others do to.

viii

Also, like IGN stated:

Compared to the original game, GRAW 2's maps are absolutely enormous...

The maps in GRAW was pretty large IMO so how much bigger are the maps?

Gamespy states that the game is open-ended enough for you to approach each one in your own way.

Is enough large enough?

None of the previous info has said that all missions have alternative drop points either. It's once again something that has arrived from speculations. It's said that the game will feature multiple insertions. Nothing about on how many missions.

Objectives most likely has to do with the storyline of the missions. Some stories in mission design open up as you play due to consequences during the missions that wasn't known to the player at start, while others are more simple missions where everything goes as originally planed and on those you could have all the objectives from start. So it all comes down to how each mission is designed to bring the story forwards. Not all missions in GR1 had objectives that could be completed in any order either.

Are your comments directed at me? Or are you just adding to the discussion? If they are directed to me I would like to point out that I did not make these statements, and I did not say that anything was explicit (I never said so-and-so said every map would have multiple insertions, etc, etc.). I'm just pointing out public statements that seem contradictory & confusing. :thumbsup:

Also, like IGN stated:

Gamespy states that the game is open-ended enough for you to approach each one in your own way.

Is enough large enough?

Didn't another recent review state that the maps were small compared to GR? :rofl:

(Something to the effect that GR maps were large enough to get lost in).

Are your comments directed at me? Or are you just adding to the discussion? If they are directed to me I would like to point out that I did not make these statements, and I did not say that anything was explicit (I never said so-and-so said every map would have multiple insertions, etc, etc.). I'm just pointing out public statements that seem contradictory & confusing. :thumbsup:

It was not directly back at you, more adding to the discussion. Just think it isn't contradicting based on the info given when looking past the different assumptions posted in other discussions.

Edited by Wolfsong

Also, like IGN stated:

Is enough large enough?

Didn't another recent review state that the maps were small compared to GR? :rofl:

LOL yeah :hehe:

Either the reviewers suck or UBI's marketing department.

Also, like IGN stated:

Is enough large enough?

Who gets lost on GR1 maps? :P

Also, like IGN stated:

Is enough large enough?

Who gets lost on GR1 maps? :P

Gamespot :rolleyes:

Fans of the [Ghost Recon] will likely be disappointed at the size of the levels. The very first Ghost Recon had gigantic levels that you could almost get lost in.

One thing that really winds me up about these previews.

No system test specs what so ever ie a full description on what machine this was done on, dual core which one.

What version of the game it is.

The story behind the mission.

What it felt like.

I have seen better reviews/Previews here.

At least we are getting media and previews. At least it's not like it was with Rainbow Six Vegas PC that had no previews or media until the game was released. I bought RSV anyway because I knew it was my type of game and I love it but Ubisoft really dropped the ball when it came to getting the word out about the pc version. I am glad to see that our complaining has gotten Ubisoft to get off their behinds and give PC GRAW2 some media and previews. :rocky:

For me... I hope they release on schedule even if there are still some know bugs. I've never run any complex software that was bug free anyway....

In fact... I'm kind of a techno-geek, sometimes I have more fun making something work than I do actually using the software or hardware that was having the problem anyway

I execpt GRAW2 will be fun upon release.

I expect there will be features we don't like

I expect there will be an abscense of features we wanted

I expect there to be bugs.

I expect GRiN will work diligently, as they did before, to clear those bugs up over time.

I expect to have lots of fun no matter what.

From a commercial standpoint I find your comment hard to believe. After all, they are trying to get us to buy their product. all firms that sell something, inherently tell customers about the features of their product so customers can educate themselves about the product and decide to buy.

If you don't give info about your product, customers won't know it's there and will look elsewhere.

Are you telling me that Ubi's marketing department has been doing a good job? These forums are full of people complaining about their poor marketing strategies. Everything from GRAW 1, R6V, to GRAW 2. These forums are full of confused people. It's because the press thus far has been contradictory. These forums are full of examples.

Did you watch the videos at ubidays.com? That is strictly a marketing tool, and it sucked big time.

I agree that they want us to buy their product. I just don't think they're doing a good job convincing us. If Grin was not involved, it is doubtful that the press & media we have received thus far would convince many people here to buy GRAW 2.