? GF2 Drivers ?

Alot also depends on which OS and which directx version you are using.

I recommend 21.83 for any Win9x/me system with dx8.1 or above.

I recommend the 29.42's for XP/2000 with DX9x.

Also, make sure that you have the latest drivers for your mobo chipset.

i have a 32 meg gf2pro and just updated to the latest 43.45? the other day from the previous version which i have no clue what that was ..i actually notice a better pic with the latest drivers and have no probs with them in gr with dx9 on win/me

Similar in thought with Sound Card drivers, I must ask this question:

Are you using On-Board Sound(integrated sound chip on motherboard) with your system? If so, this can steal substantial resourses from the CPU and system bus.

The solution:

Aquire at least a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 PCI card.

This may solve some issues for you.

Might play around with graphic settings in-game...be sure shadows are turned off. Also, close any open applications prior to launching GR to free up additional system resources.

Just a suggestion - you may want to look at upgrading your GF2 for a more powerful card. This will help overall system speed, cause your GFX won't be the system bottleneck anymore.

JMO

System as follows:

AMD 1200

512 Kingston DDR

I-will KA 266R mthbrd

Asus V7700 GF2 64 mg

SB Platium 5.1

Maxtor 7200 40G HDD

Asus 50x

Plextor 121032

WinME

DX 9

All software/hardware is up to date

I waiting for prices to drop a little then plan to upgrade to a P4 2.53, Asus mthbrd and ATI 9700Pro :wub:

;)

Win9x/me is not really fond of directx9. Directx9 was almost specifically written for 2000/XP. That could be part of your problem. When I was still running ME, I went back to DX8.1, and everything was fine after that.

You need to make sure that you have the latest drivers for your VIA Apollo chipset. Very important here. They should be updated and loadded before you update DX.

If updating the VIA drivers doesnt work this time, you may want to consider reinstalling WinME with DX8.1, as there is really no way to uninstall DX completely without hosing the OS. Yes, some folks have accomplished this, but most havent.

If you do Reload windows, format first, then update your VIA drivers, then update DX to 8.1.

Edited by phantom110565

My mthrbrd does run on the Via chipset, it uses Ali Magik which are up to date. The DX9 is a very recent upgrade, last ditch effort. My game has been locking up for more then a year on different drivers, the only one I can get to work are the 21.83's or the 6.31 that came with the Video card. Not even the new 34.01 from Asus work :angry:

Iwill KA 266R

I was having lockup probs too... didn't seem to matter what drivers i used. Even tho I had a system that practically matched some of my friends, and they had no lockup probs.

Come to find out, even tho i had 7 fans in this 'puter, they just weren't keeping the video card cool enuff!!!

I now have the sides off the 'puter, and a big 22" box fan blowing air thru the 'puter.... It's never locked up since!

(Your results may vary... see store for details. :P )

P.S. I'm using the 30.82s with my GF2 card... seems stable, now that everything is cooooool. :)

104 degrees f. you can proly get that lower by applying a fan to your GPU, but that shouldnt be causing your trouble. That really isnt that hot.

You may want to ask snakebite1967. He is very very good with the GF cards, ands has run and tweaked just about every chipset they have. HE may have an idea for you.

I've uninstalled DX 9 at least a dozen times. If you want I can email you the file that I used. Not sure if it works with Pre 2k OS's though. You still have the OS disk?

The Asus video cards come with a program that monitors temp, volts etc. Everytime I reboot the program says that the video card is fine, 52 degrees Celsius

104 degrees f. you can proly get that lower by applying a fan to your GPU, but that shouldnt be causing your trouble. That really isnt that hot.
Thats not great but not horrible as Phantom said. 90% of GPU's don't need bloody fans they are a waste or energy and space. Get a decent HS for it and it'll be fine. Zalman has a heat pipe solution if you want to look into it. It has gotten some great reviews.

I have two systems. One will play GR flawlessly the other will crash every single time. Both use the NVidia GeForce4 TI 4600 w/128MB and have 1gb of RAM installed. The machine that runs great is a Gateway running an Intel Proc at 2.4GHz, not exactly sure what the MB chip was but pretty sure it was Not Via. The other system which tanks 100% of the time regardless of driver version, DX8.1, DX9, DX9a,WinXP, WinXP SP1, no matter what I have tried it still blows chunks in GR.

Personally I blame the Via chipset but the combination of that Via chip with an nvidia video card and Athlon 2200 Proc and an ASUS Motherboard seems to be particularly combustable.

What really ###### me off though, was that I knew Via was problematic and I let the salesperson convince me that this latest Via (was the 4-in-1) has fixed the interoperability issues.

I had a friends pc over the other week he had an issue with a new video card possibly causing his pc to crash hed already exchanged the card for another one same problem, hes running an msi via kt333 chipset and was being told this might be causing the issue so i tried several of my video cards in it and no problems at all.

totaly stumped i looked closer at his video card BTW a pine gf4 ti 4600 128 nifty little chrome heatsink and fan very flashy looking good fan speed but the back of the card was extremely hot, after a closer look we realised the the sticky pad connecting the assembly to the gpu was very thick and not the whole size of the chip, after buying a very cheap blue orb $25 canadian and sticking it on no more problems no artifacts no crashing simple fix.

the only via / nvidia issue ive had was an msi mobo with an msi vid card could never get the two to work, also a good power supply is needed with a 2200 and a gf 4 add an audigy sound card and your asking for trouble even running a 350 psu, unless the rail is at or above the recomended .

another problem i had was with sound after going to an sb live 5.1 i had to tweak the pci latencies just to get it to run with a gf4

Edited by snakebite1967

These are all great tips but, my game only locks up when I switch away from the 21.83's. And as I said before, I'm using the Ali Magik chip set on my motherbrd NOT Via. :rocky:

System:

AMD 1200

512 Kingston DDR

I-will KA 266R mthbrd

Asus V7700 GF2 64 mg

SB Platium 5.1

Maxtor 7200 40G HDD

Asus 50x

Plextor 121032

WinME

DX 9

@grumsh

I dont know if this is still a factor, but I do know that with nvidia drivers up to 21.83, that nvidia had severe memory leak problems on systems using more than 256MB ram. Double check me though. But that was a big issue when GR first came out. Snakebite1967 and I had probs with it.

Memory leak means the program or whatever keeps using more and more memory in a domino effect.

I think this is mostly typical Nvidia Det drivers. They optimize for one thing and hurt another. All I can say is, stick with what works. Also, DX9 isn't the best thing MS has spit out in a while :rolleyes: I'd stay away at all cost unless you absolutely have to use it.