GRAW 1 & NOW 2 Sniper rifle

Can someone tell me the point of a sniper rifle with a high power scope

in a map where you can only shoot 150m?

I think it's time to drop the sniper rifle or as I like to call them, 150m sniper and

give us another semi auto like? M25 a cross sniper/ semi auto !

Anyone got any ideas?

SR-25

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn13-e.htm

or

UN Custom-M4 S.I.R. Long Version with scope

yeah, maybe more weapons can be added later on? or through mods? i remember seeing a sniper/semi-auto gun on discovery's futuristic weapons...that sniper rifle could take targets from a mile away and had the ability to shoot 5 (15, i am not sure) rounds without reloading

yeah, maybe more weapons can be added later on? or through mods? i remember seeing a sniper/semi-auto gun on discovery's futuristic weapons...that sniper rifle could take targets from a mile away and had the ability to shoot 5 (15, i am not sure) rounds without reloading

Hi sb85, I think you may of missed my point abit.

What I'm saying, it's time to suggest alternatives to the sniper rifle in GRAW as the viewing distance is limited to 150m, therefore any sniper rifle with a range of say 400m+ is a waste of time, we need a semi auto rifle for accurate shooting and rapid fire modes to range up to say 250m max. So ditch the sniper altogether and suggest an alternate with that in mind. :thumbsup: ditch the sniper category and replace it with sharp shooter support or something more useful .

viii

So... as it's already confirmed that the M14 with scope is in the game from screen shots, why more are you looking for? ;)

What I'm saying, it's time to suggest alternatives to the sniper rifle in GRAW as the viewing distance is limited to 150m, therefore any sniper rifle with a range of say 400m+ is a waste of time, we need a semi auto rifle for accurate shooting and rapid fire modes to range up to say 250m max. So ditch the sniper altogether and suggest an alternate with that in mind. :thumbsup: ditch the sniper category and replace it with sharp shooter support or something more useful .

erh? Then why are you suggesting the SR-25? That's for more then 250 meters away. 250 is just your normal assault rifle with say x4 scope for squad marksman purpose.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong here, I also think the Barret is out of place in GRAW. But for 150 meters you really don't need any snipers or scopes at all. So why try to replace the sniper with something else that's equally not needed.

Edited by Wolfsong

I think it's time to drop the sniper rifle or as I like to call them, 150m sniper and

Anyone got any ideas?

SR-25

or

Leave the sniper rifle in the game. Some map makers will be making larger maps.

Just add to the game this puppy --> http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_468.aspx

Anyone got any ideas?

SR-25

or

Leave the sniper rifle in the game. Some map makers will be making larger maps.

Just add to the game this puppy --> http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifle_468.aspx

:rofl: I made maps 400m x400m, you miss the point, the cut off draw distance in GRAW1 & 2 is 150m, you can not see anyone after that distance !! DO YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN ? you can not sniper passed 150 m ! the map is not the limit the game is !

So... as it's already confirmed that the M14 with scope is in the game from screen shots, why more are you looking for? ;)

erh? Then why are you suggesting the SR-25? That's for more then 250 meters away. 250 is just your normal assault rifle with say x4 scope for squad marksman purpose.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong here, I also think the Barret is out of place in GRAW. But for 150 meters you really don't need any snipers or scopes at all. So why try to replace the sniper with something else that's equally not needed.

I'm not a gun master, I just threw that one in, the post which I didn't make too clear is the Sniper rifle as it stands is made for 150m+++ not 20- 400m for example, I don't have SR25 specs but I prefer a semi auto long range rifle to a single shot, 1000m plus rifle.

my knowledge of high power semi auto sharp shooting rifles is limited, I'd rather have someone make that call. A rifle with scope that is semi, and excellent range / target acquisition from 20-300m, is what I would think is better than the stupid sniper rifle with a 1 mile range and 150m draw distance.

viii

I have lways found it odd that even though the draw distanec for humans and other objects is 150M, that there still exists other things (like buildings) that can be drawn well beyond 150M.

So I continue to wonder if this is hard coded in the executable of if some smart mod guy will finally find out how those long range draw distances are imparted to the objects that do draw far out and start imparting those smae properties to players, vehicles etc.

My guess is that in GRAW1, it was hard coded. I'm hopeing that the folks at GRiN extrenalized the data needed to manipulate that so that those of us with better machines could mod it for our own use. After all, GRiN knows it has been a issue. They read everything we post here. And this issue is as old as GRAW1 itself. It was in the "top 10 most harped about" issues.

Of course, this sort of mod would need to be picked up by their in game anticheat, or it wouldn't be fair to the poor saps we keep sniping through the abyss.

Edited by Sleepdoc

I have lways found it odd that even though the draw distanec for humans and other objects is 150M, that there still exists other things (like buildings) that can be drawn well beyond 150M.

So I continue to wonder if this is hard coded in the executable of if some smart mod guy will finally find out how those long range draw distances are imparted to the objects that do draw far out and start imparting those smae properties to players, vehicles etc.

My guess is that in GRAW1, it was hard coded. I'm hopeing that the folks at GRiN extrenalized the data needed to manipulate that so that those of us with better machines could mod it for our own use. After all, GRiN knows it has been a issue. They read everything we post here. And this issue is as old as GRAW1 itself. It was in the "top 10 most harped about" issues.

Of course, this sort of mod would need to be picked up by their in game anticheat, or it wouldn't be fair to the poor saps we keep sniping through the abyss.

I have an educated guess that it it can be increased but it has to be done as a "MOD" that can be activated or deactivate server side, the client downloads the mod and activates it prior to joining the game that way the anti cheat does not kick you for altered script files. A nice number would be around 250m but we will ses if the MOD add-on is supported as a modulate function.

Viiiper is trying to make the point that a single shot anti materielle rifle seems out of place in a game with a draw distance of 150metres.

I would like to see a long barrelled SCAR H (500mm barrell) with an intermediate scope. This would seem to be more consistent with the game and the sharp shooter would not be as disadvantaged at closer ranges.

Anyway thats my wish, probably too late now,lol.

Cheers

zeno

The draw distance has been an issue since the release of GRAW1. I don't know if anyone remembers Papa6's rants about it then and even recently (might be in the beta forum). I find the LOD and draw distance at 150m very odd. I believe Papa was able to mod it to higher in GRAW1 so it is likely that it can be in GRAW2. I have always hated the draw distance being so short especially when you come under fire from AI beyond it and you cannot see them to return fire - even with the sniper rifle. And I hope GRIN has reduced the AI Extra Sensory Perception to 150m as a result. If not it will just be more of the same.

I agree with Viiper, ditch the sniper rifle - I have always thought it all but useless in the urban setting with few spots to take advantage it combined with the draw distance further handicapping it when you do find a good vantage point. Give us a long barrel assault rifle with a more powerful scope for a "sharpshooter" instead.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Yeah I'm used to picking off targets at max range in [GR], thats why I hate sniping in GRAW because they are so close they can easily get you with a standard rifle where as you've got a clumsy bolt action .50.

I'm not a gun master, I just threw that one in, the post which I didn't make too clear is the Sniper rifle as it stands is made for 150m+++ not 20- 400m for example, I don't have SR25 specs but I prefer a semi auto long range rifle to a single shot, 1000m plus rifle.

my knowledge of high power semi auto sharp shooting rifles is limited, I'd rather have someone make that call. A rifle with scope that is semi, and excellent range / target acquisition from 20-300m, is what I would think is better than the stupid sniper rifle with a 1 mile range and 150m draw distance.

Well. Your standard rifle shooting range is 100 meter where you can easily shoot at full body half body and a third body target with iron sights or non-zooming aimpoint only. Most standard assault rifles have iron sights that can be adjusted for 100, 200 and 300 meters range. At 200 meters targets are quite small so then you would need a little zoom for anything less then full body targets.

Not everything have LOD steps in GRAW. Buildings and larger objects have 1 step that goes in at a set range and then gets cut away at another. The range for these things can vary and are set in the collected unit XMLs where slots and such are also set. The mass unit type set here is relevant to the clip in and out distance of the LOD step. So they can be set however people like, but should not be set to high or the game won't run on min spec systems. That's where the call has to be made. So with higher min spec comes many better things...

Sniper rifles aren't JUST about range, they're also about power. In RL they also use sniper rifles in the anti-equipment role. They also use the tactical advantage that a large cartridge could provide. It'd be nice to have the capability to say, use the drone to tag someone hiding behind a wall and then have the sniper to shoot that person through the wall. Of course I think this usage all depends on how the maps turn out and whether they allow for such an advantage.

Sniper rifles aren't JUST about range, they're also about power. In RL they also use sniper rifles in the anti-equipment role. They also use the tactical advantage that a large cartridge could provide. It'd be nice to have the capability to say, use the drone to tag someone hiding behind a wall and then have the sniper to shoot that person through the wall. Of course I think this usage all depends on how the maps turn out and whether they allow for such an advantage.

True. But at 150 meter most of what a .50 is used for can be done by grenade launchers instead. It's the "behind walls" that's not always possible.

So they can be set however people like, but should not be set to high or the game won't run on min spec systems. That's where the call has to be made. So with higher min spec comes many better things...

Right. That is kind of what I was saying. It would be nice if the setting could be controlled server side or at least a mod that gets rejected if not same as the server.

Many servers do not allow high pings. Why not discourage low machine specs?

It would be nice if high end servers could set longer range clipping planes and if players get bad frame rates as a result, then those guys would simply not want to play on those servers. So we would essentialy end up with servers out there for higher range and lower range machines.

It would be nice to put this draw distance control back into the hands of the players and the servers and let the "groups of player and machines" chips fall where they may depending on the server settings

Edited by Sleepdoc

Sniper rifles aren't JUST about range, they're also about power.

good point, I take the .50 on pretty much all the maps in GRAW because 99% of the time it only takes one shot to take someone down :) (in view or behind a wall). the mp5 as backup is more accurate than the scar weapons anyway if things get within swinging distance hehe.

hows about an M107, 10 .50 rounds semi automatic :D

Edited by Panic

I know i said this before but turn post effects to high in GRAW1. With the haze they made from mexico, you can't see over 150m.

The game was designed for post effects high. When low or medium they should have incorporated some sort of fog instead of just a cut off.

people have to understand that if they want to play the newest epic games comming out with insane graphics, textures, draw distance ect they are going to have to shell out some serious money. The problem of this post is not that sniper rifles are uneeded or unwanted but that the draw distance is too low. Its low because people want to play next gen games on thier crappy last gen systems and they expect it to run flawlessly. Gamming is a hobby and as with any other hobby in the world money is going to have to be spent. dont spend the money right now though, if you do you are a ######. the next generation of dx10 games are right around the corner. i personally own a ati x1900xtx in a comp with 2 gigs of ram, needless to say this computer isnt garbage and i will be first inline to buy a whole new dx10 compatable system when i see ati release their high end dx10 card. i dont know if any of you look ahead to whats comming out 6-12-18 months down the road but i do all the time and some of the stuff companies are comming out with is just insane

Crysis - looks sweet

COD4 - the cod franchise is making big changes, if they move away from the scripted coridor shooter of previoius games and give it a more open free roaming feel combined with its new special forces modern warefare theme this game could be a real contender

Frontlines: fuels of war - this game looks pretty cool, its sill early to tell though

alan wake - no idea what the game is about but the gfx are crazy

[Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising] - we'll be waiting a while for this but if they make the contorls better than arma or the original ofp this could set a new standard in tactical fps games. theres a wack of screens over at gamespot. they are pretty rough but considering this gme is tba 2008 i think they are off to a good start.

-Phil

True. But at 150 meter most of what a .50 is used for can be done by grenade launchers instead. It's the "behind walls" that's not always possible.

I always found the addition of the 50 to be inexplicable, especially when its limited to single shot. Counter-sniper urban warfare, and they give you a slow as beans, unwieldy as sin bolt-action anti-material rifle? Didn't make sense to me. Hopefully the new additions in designated marksman rifles will help fill the gap. Frankly, I don't see the need for too many more guns. I'd like to see gameplay and AI improvements first. But you gotta cater to the masses somehow I suppose.