GRAW 1 & NOW 2 Sniper rifle

Yeah I don't really see the point in using the Barrett for short engagements in this game but sometimes it comes in very handy like in the one mission called Strong Point(i think) and you have to take out all the 50 cals in the bunkers and what-not. But you all are right. Hopefully in this game you'll be able to see targets further out than just 150 or 400 meters. If they have added the M14, then that's a sweet addon. I think I did see that pic. Another good gun would be the M110 semi-automatic sniper system the Army's just adopted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM110_SASS

Yes, the draw distance in GRAW versus the use of fog in GR has been discussed in these topics:

- engine enhancements/draw distance&

- GR Fog)

A lot of people 'understood' that the resources on the CPU was the reason for the 150m limit. Most people suggested that in GRAW2 GRIN could implement an option (personal and server-sided) to change this distance to your liking, between 150 and 300 meters (overall). So people who have a better computer can put the draw distance on max and people with less better hardware could find their limit of it. Making the option server sided would also average out the differences between people with better hardware and less hardware capabillities.

I still stand behind that kind of option. If it is implemented into the game-engine there would be no need to find a work around for the AC, which you will need if it is modwise impleneted/tweaked.

Again, options is the key in this issue.

Much regards.

The only problem I see with the draw distance being set as an option is someone with a lesser system joining a server set with the draw distance at something that he can't handle and get owned in the process. Unfair advantage to those who can handle longer draw distances.

The only problem I see with the draw distance being set as an option is someone with a lesser system joining a server set with the draw distance at something that he can't handle and get owned in the process. Unfair advantage to those who can handle longer draw distances.

True

I agree the draw distance does make it slightly pointless but on the other hand with the tagging etc and be a slight advantage sometimes on some maps.

i think the major hic cup with the 50 cal sniper is the fact it can shoot through 9 inch brick walls in the game but can go through the thin metal sheets around some of the maps. there needs to be more consistancy with all the guns in graw2 i feel

Happens in BF2 all the time (especially on release) but they don't argue about it, at least not as much. If I would have to drop my resolution down a notch to play at full draw distance, I'll do it.

Yeah but... what if you were already playing at 800x600 ;) I have a member with a x800 that does in GRAW1.

• 2 months later...

Anyone mention that the M99, that is a .50 cal sniper rifle can not shoot through telephone poles anymore? How unrealistic is that? I'm not sure about other objects either, maybe someone could elaborate on the ballistics of a .50 cal M99, but I do know it should go right though that telephone pole and any corrugated tin fence. It did in GRAW 1.

A tin fence to a .50 cal bullet is like poking a slice of Velveeta with a hot ice pick. It worked in GRAW 1 MP, should work in GRAW 2MP, not sure if that is what you where getting at, but haven't tried that one yet.

I should have tagged someone through a telephone pole on "Nowhere", and I just saw it burst into a dust cloud on the telephone pole right in front of the enemy. No hit indication(should have dropped him). I'll test again tonight.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

A tin fence to a .50 cal bullet is like poking a slice of Velveeta with a hot ice pick. It worked in GRAW 1 MP, should work in GRAW 2MP, not sure if that is what you where getting at, but haven't tried that one yet.

I should have tagged someone through a telephone pole on "Nowhere", and I just saw it burst into a dust cloud on the telephone pole right in front of the enemy. No hit indication(should have dropped him). I'll test again tonight.

I am also wondering if maybe you did hit the target but didn't kill. Even the 99 isn't a 1 shot one kill if you hit them in the arm... or so i have found.

no sniperrifles!?! have you gone mad? I think most are against the sniperrifles as they get killed by more snipers than not. i get killed by more spawn killers then not.

remedy? startup a match server that's locked and have people/teams signup to use your server. then you'll have some sort of control over the bad things you don't like.

It can be a material setting. Nowhere has special props for telephone poles and fences (which you shouldn't be able to shoot through either if this is the case).

The 360 maps in general all have little settings that needs adjusting. I'll write this down for now.

I'm not a gun master, I just threw that one in, the post which I didn't make too clear is the Sniper rifle as it stands is made for 150m+++ not 20- 400m for example, I don't have SR25 specs but I prefer a semi auto long range rifle to a single shot, 1000m plus rifle.

my knowledge of high power semi auto sharp shooting rifles is limited, I'd rather have someone make that call. A rifle with scope that is semi, and excellent range / target acquisition from 20-300m, is what I would think is better than the stupid sniper rifle with a 1 mile range and 150m draw distance.

viii

Then except for the scope you must be loving the MSG90, SemiAuto, 20 round clip, great rate of fire, just wish that it have a varible power scope, say from 4x10x50.

I love the dang rifle, wish they gave it more than 3 clips of ammo though. I always take a scoped MP5 as a back up because of that. Inside the urban alleys I rarely use the scope takes to long to aquire target, just spray and pray.

lol Papa6, you know I started this thread as a bit of a joke (due to all the other minor topics that get too most). But I have to say, after posting, I found myself asking the question, why not replace the sniper rifle on a game that only supports 150m draw distance for players.

The real question back in MAY when this thread was started, prior to GRAW2 was the idea to get a replacement in, a rifle similar to a sniper rifle but more rifle based, like a semi auto version of the M99 (which does not exist?). But since then GRAW2 has been released and it does contain such rifles (semi auto).

So I'm not as mad as the topic suggests. But it would be interesting, to get some actual sniper rifle replacements. nice to see someone dug this thread out of the archive, members do read the back catalogue. ;)

It can be a material setting. Nowhere has special props for telephone poles and fences (which you shouldn't be able to shoot through either if this is the case).

surely you should be able to shoot through fences with the m99 sniper as this is what it does best

The real question back in MAY when this thread was started, prior to GRAW2 was the idea to get a replacement in, a rifle similar to a sniper rifle but more rifle based, like a semi auto version of the M99 (which does not exist?). But since then GRAW2 has been released and it does contain such rifles (semi auto).

Not sure if I read you right, just in case, there is a SemiAuto Model 98/M107 and a Model 95

surely you should be able to shoot through fences with the m99 sniper as this is what it does best

Yes. But if there is a bug on the telephone poles, I bet there is on the fences as well... I converted that map as my first assignment on GRAW2 as an intern. :P