GRAW2 PC Q&A with PC developer GRIN's CEO Bo Andersson

The community on GR:AW1 mapped over 70+ Multiplayer maps

That all looked like clones of everyone elses maps.

No disrespect - but [GR] stood the test of time bcoz it had lots of uniquely interesting and very playable maps (all with their own flavour).

GRAW had a couple of flavours, and the Modders reduxed them over n over. Still only a couple of flavours, just served differently.

I still think that if GRAW2 cant improve on the individulaity of the maps, then it will be doomed from the start.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's because you need 3dsmax in order to create new assets and most people don't have $3000 to get it. I know in the Unreal Editor for RVS you could create your own from withing the editor using stock textures or you could create your own textures if you wanted to. This helped in making RVS custom maps new and enjoyable.

I really don't feel custom maps/mods is what will make or break GRAW2. Look at RVS the stock maps are just as fun now as they were 4 years ago. As long as the stock maps in GRAW2 are well designed, which I am sure they are, the game will be a success in that perspective. Just having the server stuff sorted out for release will be a big boost for GRAW2's success.

If you made a pole at GR.net asking what people play, you will get a heavy co-op result as this site has always been known for its co-op map makers and modders therefore the results would be bias.

Having both a strong co-op and multiplayer element will be the key to Graw 2's success.

Once again, Coop is a multiplayer game mode.

There are many things that will contribute to GRAW2 being a success and not just one area. Remember, there were and probably still are many who do not ever play online and they too deserve a well rounded SP experience. While many of us here play MP of some sort, we have others here do have never played online and do not intend to start. Should they be left out of the GR/GRAW experience?

Edited by Stormin

I could be wrong on this but I think Ravenshield only shipped with 8 multiplayer maps but when added to the 9-11 maps from the sp campaign it gave players 16+ maps for mp use. If Graw 2 did something similar I am sure people wouldnt mind having only 9 mp maps.

Just my .02 :)

This thread started with an interview transcript and is going into a long moan about anything, even before the game goes GOLD or a DEMO is out. Why do so many say there unhappy with things and want more even before the release? The other point I noted is the disrespect to anything that GRIN did not make, as if it is all crap. I can only talk for myself but others would surely have something to say too.

On a mapping theme, 9 maps for MP from GRIN is alot more than the first GRAW and there has been no signs that the original maps can not be converted from GRAW 1 to add to the stock. The only truth mentioned was the flaw with loading none stock maps. Having to load, download then shutdown and reload again to get one map into your play.

As long as the way the modded maps install and you dont have to restart like before changes then it might take the pain off only 9 nines maps but ill guess we will have to wait and see.

As for the drool of regurgitated custom maps

No disrespect - but [GR] stood the test of time bcoz it had lots of uniquely interesting and very playable maps (all with their own flavour).

GRAW had a couple of flavours, and the Modders reduxed them over n over. Still only a couple of flavours, just served differently.

I still think that if GRAW2 cant improve on the individulaity of the maps, then it will be doomed from the start.

All the maps I've released have all been made with a unique idea in mind, using the tools from GRIN (and I don't have $$$$ for 3DMaX). Here is a list of the Multiplayer maps I've released, everyone is made on a different theme.

OAKLANDS -- parkland & Mexican town conflict

BROKEN ARROW -- twin train tunnels with hijacked train

5 DRAGONS -- underground tunnel complex

3 KINGS -- architectural treasures buildings

BASE 51 (Area 51) - small deserted fort in the middle of nowhere

VENDETTA -- doom styled labyrinth on a offshore platform

WATER FRONT -- Sea front storage complex

MOONDOG BAY -- multi level listening station

None of these are copies of GRINS original maps, I always avoid this so comments like above are not made. I spend alot of time planning laying down and relaying strategies which I play out on my maps prior to final render. They are made with the GRAW fighter always in mind. Please try one.... by yourself load it into your custom_levels and start a 1 player server.

I know when GRIN do release GRAW2 that the maps that come with it will be great and if your one of those that play custom maps then your going to get some great new maps too. I'm actually glad GRIN don't spoil us by giving us all 30+ maps, cos it would kill mapping, just like the other comments about mods. [GR] handled mods 100% and maps I think if GRIN addresses the loading / downloading method of maps and activation/ deactivation of mods, we are on a winner (not forgetting the admin tools and dedi server).

Till the next moan...... :yes:

viii

I'm glad to have been corrected on the 1 mission for Coop deal. 12 players with multiple objectives and paths....assuming the editor is fully functional I'm going to be spending more time with the editor than I am playing the actual game. Oh, the ideas I'm having.....

Too bad there isn't a plug-in for Maya PLE or GMax or Blender or some free 3D program...

Edited by Nutlink

I think it's because you need 3dsmax in order to create new assets and most people don't have $3000 to get it.

That didn't stop people from making maps for GR1, which needed 3DS Max to even the simplest map. So I don't see that as an argument as it didn't stop modders from creating load of maps before.

This thread started with an interview transcript and is going into a long moan about anything, even before the game goes GOLD or a DEMO is out. Why do so many say there unhappy with things and want more even before the release? The other point I noted is the disrespect to anything that GRIN did not make, as if it is all crap. I can only talk for myself but others would surely have something to say too.

I agree.

People complain about the 4 player coop and 12 player "[GR]" coop modes even without knowing what they actually are anymore. It's a new game, things will have changed. Of course the 4 player coop is the one using the stock missions from the campaign like in the first game, and so works most likely like SP gaming. But what do the community know about "[GR]" coop (I so hate that name) in GRAW2? None knows what it's capabilities are at this time or what it's restrictions are compared to normal coop anymore.

Just wait and see what the current status is before starting to complain would be my advice.

Yeah I was never really big on the custom maps but the Task Force Wraith ACU mod is what kept me playing GRAW 1. Not many people like the ACUs but I do and that's another reason I'm psyched about GRAW 2. Even if it's only 9 missions, I won't really mind cause there's so many different ways to play the maps. You can customize all their stuff. Gotta cut this short cause I'm about to be an uncle. Have a good 'un.

Even if it's only 9 missions, I won't really mind cause there's so many different ways to play the maps.
If you are referring to the SP campaign, where did you read that there are 9 missions? Or, is that just a type-o and you really meant MP maps? Just curious if there is some info out there I missed. :hmm:

On a mapping theme, 9 maps for MP from GRIN is alot more than the first GRAW and there has been no signs that the original maps can not be converted from GRAW 1 to add to the stock. The only truth mentioned was the flaw with loading none stock maps. Having to load, download then shutdown and reload again to get one map into your play.

As long as the way the modded maps install and you dont have to restart like before changes then it might take the pain off only 9 nines maps but ill guess we will have to wait and see.

As for the drool of regurgitated custom maps

All the maps I've released have all been made with a unique idea in mind, using the tools from GRIN (and I don't have $$$$ for 3DMaX). Here is a list of the Multiplayer maps I've released, everyone is made on a different theme.

OAKLANDS -- parkland & Mexican town conflict

BROKEN ARROW -- twin train tunnels with hijacked train

5 DRAGONS -- underground tunnel complex

3 KINGS -- architectural treasures buildings

BASE 51 (Area 51) - small deserted fort in the middle of nowhere

VENDETTA -- doom styled labyrinth on a offshore platform

WATER FRONT -- Sea front storage complex

MOONDOG BAY -- multi level listening station

None of these are copies of GRINS original maps, I always avoid this so comments like above are not made. I spend alot of time planning laying down and relaying strategies which I play out on my maps prior to final render. They are made with the GRAW fighter always in mind. Please try one.... by yourself load it into your custom_levels and start a 1 player server.

I know when GRIN do release GRAW2 that the maps that come with it will be great and if your one of those that play custom maps then your going to get some great new maps too. I'm actually glad GRIN don't spoil us by giving us all 30+ maps, cos it would kill mapping, just like the other comments about mods. [GR] handled mods 100% and maps I think if GRIN addresses the loading / downloading method of maps and activation/ deactivation of mods, we are on a winner (not forgetting the admin tools and dedi server).

Till the next moan...... :yes:

viii

If people dont like what they see in the game/coming game then they will express this or moan as you say, if it wasnt all left to the imagination then they wouldnt have to, by replyinganswering these post you just fuel this thread with the things you dont want in it.

Hey i will try your maps this week :)

Edited by JJUK

Answered by: Bo Andersson, CEO, GRIN (Sweden)

Moreover, GRAW2 includes the classic Ghost Recon MP modes, like the cooperative campaign (up to 4 players can play the single player campaign together) & the Original Ghost Recon coop mode: short missions with a single objective in cooperation with up to 12 players.

//Rhetorical: What's the difference between "classic" & "original"? :hmm:

Answered by: Bo Andersson, CEO, GRIN (Sweden)

Moreover, GRAW2 includes the classic Ghost Recon MP modes, like the cooperative campaign (up to 4 players can play the single player campaign together) & the Original Ghost Recon coop mode: short missions with a single objective in cooperation with up to 12 players.

//Rhetorical: What's the difference between "classic" & "original"? :hmm:

Sadly in this case it's only in the name [GR], which has come about in this forum, that the added game mode in GRAW1 was given. It's a stupid name as the first game is simply GR or possibly GR1, and doesn't have original in the title and as such should never be referred to in short as [GR].

Moving on. Besides that you can't say it includes the "original" Ghost Recon MP modes as they where not original to the gaming world when Ghost Recon was released. So in that way it is classic MP modes seen in the GR series.

I see original as the first instance of an idea or piece of work. Classic doesn't need to be an original idea but something a big crowd has taken to heart and remember.

Edited by Wolfsong

But it's most likely easy to mod in if its not available from the beginning.

Be VERY careful with statements like that m8, they have a tendancy to come back and bite ya (as a few people round here know ;))

Well, it isn't hard to add maps to other game modes in GRAW1. Just annoying to have to have another instance of the map. So I based it on that. You only need the zones and a new export and of you go.

In this post at the official forums (which Rocky pointed out on the news page), it still says

[GR] Mode:

Short missions with a single objective in cooperation with up to 12 players.

So, the official line is still that there is only one objective.

They won't change a posted Q&A at UBI. You know how UBI are. :P

But we have been told that it's not correct by Grin. And that is also official.

EDIT:

Just looked at the latest link on the news page here...

UBI can't even get weapon names right. G1 8... I'm guessing Glock 18 is what they are after. And MS690... That would be the MSG90. So UBI and info ain't compatible, period.

Edited by Wolfsong

In this post at the official forums (which Rocky pointed out on the news page), it still says

[GR] Mode:

Its has not been updated for a few days, should be ok now.

Things need to be confirmed before changes to current information. :)

Bah!

What a read!

There is a big diffrence in being able to play the campaign with 4, to playing [GR] FF with 12 and, blow that pole up.

You must have 2 objectives surely, otherwise game would end and, you don`t need to firefight to extraction, i am guessing?

Tinker

<_<

Well now..As we get closer, everyones getting alittle ancy. All the new tools are great. Tweeking the game engine great. But,,,Same old mexican story? Im loosing my job to our southern brothers. Couldnt you guys attack Canada or something. :D At least they have trees.

9 maps? Your loosing me. Yes the community banded together and made maps for Graw1. All the same old objects . Boring. Most were tainted with choke points and spawns to close for the weapons,ect.

Although not a big deal to me,weapons choices,(since I used the same one allmost all the time because it was the only one that worked) are not to many. Lets hope they work this time. Ive shot everything under the sun including a tow.So when I say most of the weapons sucked. They indeed sucked. I speng alot of time on the range(No not the praire). :D I know for sure at 15 yards I can plant one in someones face and at a run if I pull the trigger before my foot falls(jar of hitting the ground)Im darn close.Thats asking to much out of a game I know. :blush: It would be sweet though.

Personaly Graw 1 worked fine. They should have come out with a expansion that tweeked the game engine and added more maps ect. Now that Grins beta period for its game engine is maybe over. Maybe now we can have a real Graw experiance with regular map and senario upgrades. Ya think???

I personally will buy Graw 2 . Ive always thought it was the bomb. But, it got boring playing the same maps over and over and over again. I mean after awhile you get to no them :D .So,Lets get it on or something.

Whens the multi demo coming out???

Its has not been updated for a few days, should be ok now.

Things need to be confirmed before changes to current information. :)

Thanks Colin. It sure is nive having you on both sites. BTW, there's a small grammatical error. :thumbsup:

[GR] Mode:

Short missions with a objectives in cooperation with up to 12 players.

[GR] Mode:

What if that one objective was "complete the mission" but the mission included multiple objectives? :hmm:

Hey, it was a just a thought! 0:)