GRAW2 PC Q&A with PC developer GRIN's CEO Bo Andersson

http://ghostrecon.uk.ubi.com/

Check out this developer Q&A on the upcoming Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 for PC:

Answered by: Bo Andersson, CEO, GRIN (Sweden)

Game developed (Single Player & Multi-Player) by GRIN.

I heard GRAW2 X360 is already out, what are the differences with the PC version?

Two different teams are working on the games. The entire PC version is being developed by GRIN, with the objective to create the tactical shooter reference on the platform. In terms of game design, technology & controls, the games go in different directions, but share the Ghost Recon background (high-tech gear, accuracy…) & the storyline. Regarding the Maps, Multiplayer modes & Single Player feel, it’s totally worth it to play both games, as each gets the most out of its respective platform. Think about reading two books relating to the same events: two different visions of the same scene.

What’s the storyline behind GRAW2?

The action in GRAW2 takes place shortly after the events in GRAW and revolves around the US border. Following the events in Mexico City, the Ghosts leave the country after saving the US and Mexican presidents. Soon after, while they are training in Fort Bliss in Texas, they are called back to Mexico. The remaining Mexican rebels have gathered their forces alongside the US border. Ciudad Juarez, which is one of the key strongholds of the rebels, is separated from El Paso Texas only by the newly constructed wall on the US / Mexican border,. Mexican rebels threaten to strike on US soil if the Americans interfere again on what they qualify as an internal conflict.

I spend most of my playing time on PC on multiplayer games, what does GRAW2 offer?

We tried to create with GRAW2 on PC an extensive Mutiplayer experience, with a huge variety of maps & modes.

First of all, the Recon versus Assault mode is totally exclusive. The high tech Ghost team is fighting against heavily armed Mexican rebels. In this mode, the Ghosts need to clear the anti-air defence of the zone in order to launch air strikes. Thus the Rebels try to take the Ghosts down. This mode demonstrates the essence of the Ghost Recon games: stealth & technology, against brute force & firepower.

Moreover, GRAW2 includes the classic Ghost Recon MP modes, like the cooperative campaign (up to 4 players can play the single player campaign together) & the [Ghost Recon] coop mode: short missions with a single objective in cooperation with up to 12 players.

Finally, we wanted the PC players to find their favourite modes in the game: Death Match, Siege, Team Deathmatch & Hamburger Hill.

This makes a comprehensive package, with 9 multiplayer maps to play on.

Multiplayer functionalities

Will the game have dedicated servers?

Yes, the game will have dedicated servers at release. We’re currently testing them with the Closed Beta, and have European & US servers.

Is there a standalone dedicated server application to create my own server?

Yes, there is. You can install it on any PC (no need to have the CD in the drive, no powerful GPU needed). It includes admin tools & remote control.

Will there be a multiplayer demo?

Yes, this will be detailed in a separate announcement!

Will there be an anti-cheat system?

Yes, this is a GRIN developed tool.

Will the game allow in game voice communication?

Yes, through Teamspeak services.

Will the game have online leaderboards?

Yes, we will have ladders, including clan ladders, using Gamespy services.

Bonus question

I HATE checkpoints, will there be again automatic savepoints?

Yes, there will. But you’ll also be able to save anywhere, as long as you’re not in a fight

Edited by Panic

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

some nice info there :)

but (hehe there has to be one) i have to pick up on this point:

a huge variety of maps ... 9 multiplayer maps to play on.

Am i right in thinking that each gametype will not use each of the 9 maps? I reall hope all 9 maps are available for each mode, because lack of maps is the only single thing i have an issue with in GR:AW, i think the game is great, but playing 3 maps over and over seriously damages my sanity :)

i'd say a huge variety of maps would be a figure like 48 :)

feel free to add all the GRAW maps to, please don't treat us to a special addon pack in 3 months time with the added bonus of old GRAW maps, i think we would rather have them sooner rather than later :D

thanks again for the info GRIN.

Seems strange that there will be only Nine Multiplayer maps isnt this one of the top reasons why people got bored in the first place, lack of variety, come guys you have to add more than this, unless im reading it wrong.

As for only having 9 maps, I believe GRIN said you can play all gametypes on each map or easily modded to accustom a different gametype. Whereas in GRAW 1 you had to re-render the map in order to use it for another gametype.

The only thing that concerns me is where he said a powerful gpu is not needed for a server. But don't most rack systems (hosting sites) not have room for any gpu?

As for only having 9 maps, I believe GRIN said you can play all gametypes on each map or easily modded to accustom a different gametype. Whereas in GRAW 1 you had to re-render the map in order to use it for another gametype.

The only thing that concerns me is where he said a powerful gpu is not needed for a server. But don't most rack systems (hosting sites) not have room for any gpu?

Some will take low profile agp or such.

As for 9 maps... if there is day and night cycles... that 9 could be more like 18 :D

All maps in all modes...? now why would they do that ;)

Oops i need to read the whole article instead of skimming. Ignore my last comment... they do talk about our own dedicated.

Seems strange that there will be only Nine Multiplayer maps isnt this one of the top reasons why people got bored in the first place, lack of variety, come guys you have to add more than this, unless im reading it wrong.

The GR series is mainly marketed as a single player and coop first person shooter series. 9 maps would even be much for a game of this type. If it's not enough, make your own. ;)

EDIT: I should add that the most likely reason why there is a big pile of MP maps on the console version is because there where 2 studios working on that titles. More people gives more man hours, which in turn gives more content which and so there will be more maps.

Edited by Wolfsong

I believe GRIN said you can play all gametypes on each map or easily modded to accustom a different gametype.

With the variety of different game modes come always the variety of basic map types, and remember that all map types are not suited for all game modes. Seeing it from a design and game play point of view, you can't make DM work well on a huge map and you can't make Siege or Hamburger Hill work well on a small map for example. Hence restrictions are sometimes needed to supply a better product with modes that are playable out of the box.

But, If the community wants to play a map in a mode not supplied with it in the original game, I'm sure it can be fixed by modding, like in GRAW1.

Edited by Wolfsong

:D I just got Horny :yes:

"the [Ghost Recon] coop mode: short missions with a single objective in cooperation with up to 12 players."

The question now is can you MOD it ???????????????????? But of course.

That part right there bothers me. It appears to be GRAW 1 all over again with coop. Only 4 players for the campaign coop and only one objective in [GR] coop? That really blows, unless they allow for more scripting options and variables this time around.

Ummm... did anyone notice Admin tools and REMOTE is mentioned :D

I knew that one would bring a large Grin to ya.

Nice to see some one listens.

:D I just got Horny :yes:

"the [Ghost Recon] coop mode: short missions with a single objective in cooperation with up to 12 players."

The question now is can you MOD it ???????????????????? But of course.

That part right there bothers me. It appears to be GRAW 1 all over again with coop. Only 4 players for the campaign coop and only one objective in [GR] coop? That really blows, unless they allow for more scripting options and variables this time around.

This area is of great interest to many of us.

The [GR] looks to be changed for better scripting, and time restraints limit the missions we can do, but we also know that we can mission script this time at release, which is a great plus.

So single missions with 12 players and the option to mod in more objectives and create more missions seems to be what we looked for, we have been told previously with regard to scripting missions, the team felt it was best left to us, as we know what we would like to do.

So with the tools which we know we are getting and the rough Game type in place already we should be able to do some thing real possative.

This will depend a lot obviously on the moders. :thumbsup::yes:

If its 12 guys single missions to start, and add to later, then Ill be very imprressed, this option was in my opionion the only real bit missing from Graw 1.

I am looking forward to this now.

...and only one objective in [GR] coop?...

oh.. I dont think that information is correct. ;)

Mattias Wiking

multiplayer programmer

Honestly, do we have all the cards to say what GRAW2 will be in it's entirety? no- the only way I'll know for sure is when the final product releases.

Thanks to GRINWiking for posting on this thread.

The GR series is mainly marketed as a single player and coop first person shooter series. 9 maps would even be much for a game of this type. If it's not enough, make your own. ;)

I would disagree with you there. The majority of word of mouth, reviews, and online players from GR1 were of the multplayer TvT breed.

If you made a pole at GR.net asking what people play, you will get a heavy co-op result as this site has always been known for its co-op map makers and modders therefore the results would be bias.

Having both a strong co-op and multiplayer element will be the key to Graw 2's success.

I would disagree with you there. The majority of word of mouth, reviews, and online players from GR1 were of the multplayer TvT breed.

If you made a pole at GR.net asking what people play, you will get a heavy co-op result as this site has always been known for its co-op map makers and modders therefore the results would be bias.

Having both a strong co-op and multiplayer element will be the key to Graw 2's success.

Once again, Coop is a multiplayer game mode.

There are many things that will contribute to GRAW2 being a success and not just one area. Remember, there were and probably still are many who do not ever play online and they too deserve a well rounded SP experience. While many of us here play MP of some sort, we have others here do have never played online and do not intend to start. Should they be left out of the GR/GRAW experience?

:hmm:

The main SP Co-op missions, will only be for 4, in multiplayer as always.... :wall:

We can make missions with "1" objective for more people hey?

There goes the BEEF.

Tinker

:(

*EDIT* SP is a diffrent story, I`ll still have it for that i guess.

Man, I guess they can't please everyone.. but from what I have read it seems like they have delievered or are planning on delievering almost everything we have asked for.. Therefore.. they have please at least one person.. ME :)

Again, remember we are receiving the GRIN modding tools. Nine maps in all modes is fine by me.. especially with the strong Modding group we have here.. there will be maps spitting out at us.. I would have like to see if there will be a better system for controlling mods? But I guess that will have to wait and see about... but everything else.. WOOOHOOO!!

I would comment on more and will soon.. I have to go watch the end of Happy Feet with my kids.. I might just do a jig of my own at the same time

Edited by IrishStout

All we have is speculation.

I'm sorry to say I won't be pre-buying GRAW2 without a demo... in fact I'd like to see some kind of SP content/ability in the demo, not just MP. I am an SP / Co-op player... rarely MP... so this is important to me. I'm just one guy with one vote though...

-jk

Callsign 3Point

EDIT - I meant that I won't be pre-buying GRAW2 without a demo with SP... the MP Demo won't be enough for me. If the demo IS just MP then I will have to wait and see what you "early bird" folks have to say about the product...

Well some good info and some not so good.

Dedi server and remote access is a good thing. Only 9 maps is a bad thing. Even if they do have night and day senerios it's still just 9 maps. Me thinks me smells an exspansion comming out soon after with another 9 maps.

Edited by Creatch