Call Of Duty 4 - Modern Warfare

Hockeystick

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too bad it's consoles only like CoD 3. This means I have to wait a very long time, because my PS3-buy is far away . Anywho this trailer looks VERY promising. I'll get through it and I'm looking forward to the final product, gameplay and graphics-quality.

'Modern combat'? Exciting.

Interested, but only in so much as that I am every console shooter coming out.

Negative, but only because half of that was pre-rendered and they refuse to give us any useful information.

The Call of Duty series is quite known to be linear so I hope they give us a bit more freedom this time.

But why would they? The Call of Duty series is known to be quite popular, so obviously their fans are okay with the linearity.

The Call of Duty series is quite known to be linear so I hope they give us a bit more freedom this time.

But why would they? The Call of Duty series is known to be quite popular, so obviously their fans are okay with the linearity.

The MP was fine but you usually play the SP once, maybe twice. It's not just me, a lot of fans of the series would like more freedom. As it is right now you pretty much follow an invisible line.

Edited by Hockeystick

As it is right now you pretty much follow an invisible line.

I know, I beat the first two games a good four times each.

That 'invisible line' is the only reason the game is as interesting as it is -- Call of Duty, as a franchise, is one of the last great examples of 'rollercoaster' style level design and scripting.

I'm fine with the scripted parts. But atleast they could add like one alternate route to your objective.

Ex. If you see a machine gunner, the best way to counter him would probably be to flank him. But because of the linearity you'll be forced you to charge him head-on, unless there is a scripted flanking sequence.

So, my greatest request is that they add some freedom. Not Ghost Recon-freedom or GTA-freedom of course. After all, the charm about CoD is the cinematic feeling that's a result of scripting, but it can still have that feeling with a little bit of freedom.

Edited by Hockeystick

Too bad it's consoles only like CoD 3. This means I have to wait a very long time, because my PS3-buy is far away . Anywho this trailer looks VERY promising. I'll get through it and I'm looking forward to the final product, gameplay and graphics-quality.

mm not from what i gather over @ planet COD

Fourzerotwo, IW's community manager, has released a statement regarding the release date and platform Call of Duty 4 will appear on:

Some cool things to notice is that all that footage is taken directly from the SP campaign, so you're looking at the actual gameplay you'll get to play. The only exception of course are the logos, waving flags, etc. All the action is actual in-game action captured from the SP of the game.

Platform: PC

Release: Fall 2007

Keep checking PCOD for developing information.

Linearity never made any game interesting, the immersion and the graphics make COD 3 fun to play. Open the maps up a little and add coop, that would be good. If they can build coop for GOW, why not COD 4?

Linearity never made any game interesting,

Scripting did, though, and it's naturally easier to script more specifically (and thereby interestingly) when there aren't very many variables.

Scripting did, though, and it's naturally easier to script more specifically (and thereby interestingly) when there aren't very many variables.

You mean, when there aren't any variables :rolleyes:

You mean, when there aren't any variables :rolleyes:

Most cod2 levels had 2 or 3, actually. :P

COD and MOH are immersive and fun , but linear to the point of being on rails. Optional objectives mean choosing from 3 targets on the same map all within 100 metres with only one approach to the target. Even if they open the maps up a little in COD 4 to allow flanking, the problem is that it is still a single character game, which limits the gameplay a lot.

COD and MOH are immersive and fun , but linear to the point of being on rails. Optional objectives mean choosing from 3 targets on the same map all within 100 metres with only one approach to the target. Even if they open the maps up a little in COD 4 to allow flanking, the problem is that it is still a single character game, which limits the gameplay a lot.

I completely agree except for that being a problem. If I wanted a multi avatar shooter I'd play H&D or GR or something - cod does what it does (an 'on rails' rollercoaster style scripted campaign) almost flawlessly.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boy, looks like the game I have been waiting for. This first "Kind-of-preview" is just blowing me away. All the stuff you can do...and I even felt the intensity of the gameplay while I just read the text. It will be pretty liniar again I'm sure, though they are saying otherwise, but who gives a cr**. (Yeah I already hear the people saying "ME")

And the fact, they are talking about the PC-version and the dedicated servers and so on now in the beginning..it makes me wanna wet my pants.

I want more media on that game ASAP. :D

Best-Of

allowing you to use, say, a heavy machine gun to shoot through walls and ceilings to kill bad guys.

armed to the teeth with automatic weapons, grenades and RPGs (rocket-propelled grenades, not copies of Diablo).

You’re kept constantly updated over voice-coms, and make your way to a ship door as your AI teammates kick it in and storm inside, allowing you to systematically take enemies down

Shoot a pipe and gas leaks from the bullet holes

The US Marines’ Force Recon squads are larger than the four-man teams you have in the SAS levels, and rather than being used for quick infiltration and clandestine missions

“We’ve created new technology to emulate what the human eye sees, so we’ve looked through real night vision, filmed through night vision, compared the two and then modified it.
Edited by rookie

It sounds fun but just a modern version of COD 3. The problem with these games is that they have no replayability for me, where the squad based games like GRAW have much more. At least it's not another WW2 game.

Sounds like it might be worth a look... I need a decent new shooter to play... Any news on when we might get a demo to try? I quite liked the first too (apart from being too linear), but I'm glad they're moving away from the WW2 thing - between all the CoD games and the MOH games, there were already plenty of those!

Besides some new screens here (they just look AWESOME again), Activision told this swiss-site the game is scheduled for a release this fall. I honestly don't know how well known Activision is for keeping their schedule. Anywho this means, the game is not too far away from finished, still in pre-alpha though.

Wow......this game looks drop dead fantastic. I'm a huge fan of CoD, CoD UO and CoD 2. I was disappointed that CoD 3 was a console only title. I always like the story line to the games and the 'not so' linear gameplay wasn't a bother IMO. At least they weren't a game on rails style, as that would have been annoying. The SP's were well worth doing and the MP has always been fun.

It's nice to see Infinity Ward developing this too. They developed the original. There's a huge article in this month's Game Infromer (US). It's also made the cover.

I suggest we all keep an eye on this one everybody.

DS

I agree. This game is looking good. I played through COD1 and UO, and part of COD2.

I'm not sure if anyone here's noticed, but COD3 was NOT made by Infinity Ward. Activision farmed it out to Treyarch which made previous console-only COD titles like "Big Red One" (and the very good Spiderman games by the way).

So basically, Activision pulled a Ubi having 2 of their studios work on seperate iterations of the franchise. Infinity Ward was freed up to work on COD4 while Treyarch did COD3.