Converting records to CDs

cobaka

I was thinking of copying some of my old LPs to CDs (yes, I'm that old :angry: ). I have seen turntables that claim to do that (with software), and I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and does it work well? Any recommendations?

I tried in the past to convert some tapes (I'm that old as well :P) and use a software called Steinberg Clean version 3 I believe. Results were actually very good but I know many more softwares came out. If I will have time I will make a little search :)

I have had succes with this using a program called "JUKE BOX" it has a line-in facility and the option to record from the line-in sorce. I used a double ende jack lead from the head phone socket on me hi-fi which i attached a second hand turn table and attached the other end to the line-in jack on the sound card. Juke box has an auto cue that will start recording when it detects the sound from the record, but i found this to be a bit finiky so i started the recordings manualley. The results were very good and i was also able to clean up the recording a bit using a sound editing program. :D I did about 40 7" singles and 12 albums :wacko: Hope this helps :thumbsup:

I tried in the past to convert some tapes (I'm that old as well :P) and use a software called Steinberg Clean version 3 I believe. Results were actually very good but I know many more softwares came out. If I will have time I will make a little search :)

I have copied my casettes onto my HD by just using a walkman, computer speaker cord (the one with the green jack) into my sound card mic input, and Goldwave free trial

http://www.goldwave.com/

Cobaka: Yes, it is very possible and very easy. I've got a bunch of records that I love but it'd be nice to be able to take the tracks with me when I travel. There's a huge resurgence in the number of bands releasing LPs -- it's another trendy indie thing. Anyway, here's how I rip vinyl:

I picked up an old version of the Griffin iMic for around $40CDN. It comes with it's own software specifically for the job (FinalVinyl I think it's called). Hooked it up between my iBook (works with winXP too) and the phono pre-amp on my stereo. Play the record and press the record button. After the side is done, it lets you split it up into tracks. It gives you a choice of a bunch of formats including Mp3 and Wav. :thumbsup:

good luck.

Nero Wave Editor and Musicmatch Jukebox are ways to do so. Plug your turntable or even cassette deck into the line in port on your PC's sound card (you do have a sound card right?). You may need to get a connector from Radio Shack to go from RCA plugs to a 1/8" stereo phono plug (this is how I do it) to plug it into the sound card. Run the software in record mode set to Line-In and record it as an MP3 (Nero Wave Editor allows for many different formats even).