Flashpoint 2 in 2008

"Codemasters announced today that [Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising] was planned for a 2008 release on next-gen systems and PC. The game itself will used the Neon engine already being the base of Colin Mc Rae: Dirt. "

t_1242_0001.jpg

[Edit: Oversized image replaced by thumbnail - click the thumb to see the large image]

Source

Same picture is now is available on the main Official Flashpoint 2 Homepage Click Here

-----------

-----------

That Might even be Ingame Screenshot. Now lets hope Codemasters stick true to Original OFP. Worst nightmare may come in action after [OFP: DR] will be released on next-gen consoles - Arcade

Edited by Pave Low

Yeah, given that a lot of the "quality" of OFP was from BIS will be interesting to see how Codemasters fairs "on their own" as it were

the press release gives some hope that it wont be the "name without the game" that most of us were fearing

19th April 2007

Operation Flashpointâ„¢, the game that invented the conflict simulation genre, to return in 2008

Promising warfare on a scale never seen in a FPS, the biggest name in modern military simulation gaming will return in 2008 as Codemasters confirms that Operation Flashpointâ„¢2 is in development for PC and major console formats.

Operation Flashpoint™2 will mark the long-awaited return of the total conflict simulator, which won international acclaim. Now in development, it is Codemasters Studios’ most extensive R&D project to date. With the studio’s largest development team ever assembled, Operation Flashpoint™2 has already benefited from over two years of pre-production on a closed set basis and will use a new FPS variant of Neon technology, the studio’s proprietary middleware.

Building on the original game’s heritage, Operation Flashpoint™2 will see the most realistic modelling of conflict scenarios in a new contemporary theatre of war. By offering a multitude of military disciplines, gameplay will deliver warfare more realistic and intense then ever before, while an extensive multiplayer component will create battles on an incredible scale.

Set to redefine the genre it created, Operation Flashpointâ„¢2 is coming in 2008. Further details will be announced this summer; gamers can sign up for future development briefings online at: http://www.codemasters.co.uk/flashpoint2

and I particularly like this comment by the Community Liaison Officer back in February

Flashpoint is a flagship product for us

this is a game that we really need to get absolutely right, for our own sake and that of the community, and that's why it's taking an awful lot longer than we originally anticipated.

Rich Tysoe

Motorsports/flight/shooting/strategy CLO.

Codemasters.

If this game is built anything like ArmA it will run at 3 - 5 fps with top of the line systems.

Sorry to say - but ArmA with its expansive maps and vegetation just does not work, and judging by this SS - it will even more ######.

Having played ArmA for a while now - I'd have to say that I think the variation of smaller maps in GR is far superior to the massive, but repetitive map of ArmA.

In addition, the smaller maps won't suck the performance out of the game.

Nice SS but I''m not convinced.

Having played ArmA for a while now - I'd have to say that I think the variation of smaller maps in GR is far superior to the massive, but repetitive map of ArmA.

Actually, you've just stumbled on the reason that 'linear console trash' is so successful. In terms of well put together, interesting, variated missions: Super linear like Moh > linear rooms like Halo or call of duty > open missions, small isolated maps, like GR > Large worlds, like Elder Scrolls, OFP/Arma or an mmo.

Not talking about the quality of the games overall, but yeah, more focused = more potential to be used interestingly.

Anyway, as for performance, this is not the same developer nor the same engine as Arma. No reason to judge yet.

Edit: as for performance and the large maps, with any decent engine (like, one good enough for arma or OFP to have run at all on any of our computers) everything out of sight isn't really being rendered, and thus not effecting your computer. That's why you may get a hit coming over the top of the hill, but your framerate should be pretty consistent in a valley.

In addition, the smaller maps won't suck the performance out of the game.

I don't think you can directly compare the two games like that. They both have their pro's and cons.

Nice SS but I''m not convinced.

Neither am I :hmm:

Respectfully

krise madsen

i think the fundamental problem with ArmA is that you do have to load the entire map (without vegetaion) into memory. Very inefficient.

Not necessarily, polygons actually come really cheap and the textures are all tilables. Not much more space used than an average game map.

Don't they stream, though? I wouldn't think the entire thing needs to be loaded.

thats what i thought, but i was reading in the bis forums that it actually loads the entire map.

Strange. Even so, it's not as as big of a hit as you would think, all that terrain is using small tilable textures. People oftentimes forget that size of area =/= memory use, necessarily. Still, you're definitely right that it's poorly optimized.

They plan on releasing this game on the 360 so this issue of map size must be addressed. If they can do Oblivion on 360, they can do this. I really don't see the need for such huge maps, 400 x 400 Km. Make the maps 1 or 2 km2, lose the planes, keep the vehicles, tighten the focus.