Swedish Games Awards

Game Developers' Evening 5 with GRIN April 24.

"Don't miss the last opportunity this year to visit one of the highly popular Game Developers' Evenings in Stockholm!

Swedish Game Awards and GRIN, developers of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 for PC, invites you to an exciting evening Tuesday April 24, featuring interesting speakers, food and drink, as well as plenty of opportunities to mingle with other developers and gamers. Subjects and speakers are as below - and note that all presentations will be in English."

- Rickard Johansson, Lead Mission Designer: "Introduction to GRIN", "How to Win Swedish Game Awards"

- Erik Pettersson, Lead Artist: "The Art of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2"

- Niklas Frykholm and Tobias Persson, Engine Programmers: "Game Profiling and Optimizing"

- Simon Viklund, Sound Designer: "Sound: It's Not How You Record It - It's How You Implement It"

- Hjalmar Vikström, Lead Gameplay Programmer: "Implementing Gameplay With Scripts"

The event is free and open for everyone. If you register for the event, you will receive a GRIN t-shirt when you attend!

That looks like it would be a lot of fun.

Grin actually helps make these awards possible by being part of it, and an active member.

The awards are also linked to the Higher education system in Sweden, which I might add is fast becomeing one of the world leaders in Video games.

Education:

Sweden has a large amount of universities that has understood what a creative and complex process game development is and therefore added game development to their educational curriculum in some way. Some universities have pure game development programs that are focused on some specific area, such as level design, and some are more traditional engineering programs where games counts as a larger project. The universities listed here are those that have shown their support for SGA.

I believe some of the forum members are in this system and have had help directly from Grin.

Securing your own future by helping future employees is a good thing.

I hope the evening is a blast.

Edited by Colin

Im going there tomorrow.

Give them Grin Dudes a tap on the shoulder from me :D

He did. Very nice.

Larsa, I'm glad to hear you enjoy the beta. I guess it's even easier to enjoy the game when you've gotten some behind-the-scenes info on the amounts of thought and effort that is put into the product. Hope yesterday's lectures were interesting.

Im going there tomorrow.

Give them Grin Dudes a tap on the shoulder from me :D

He did. Very nice.

Larsa, I'm glad to hear you enjoy the beta. I guess it's even easier to enjoy the game when you've gotten some behind-the-scenes info on the amounts of thought and effort that is put into the product. Hope yesterday's lectures were interesting.

Yes it was.

The sound, graphics and scripting presentations was interesting, but the Profiling and Optimizing stuff was too much for me since I’m not a programmer ;)

Was nice listening to you guys, well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up post.

GRIN had brought six speakers from the company - all of them sharing a part of their experience in the gaming industry and in their respective fields with the audience. Rickard Johansson, Lead Mission Designer held an introduction of GRIN, Niklas Frykholm and Tobias Persson, Engine Programmers talked about "Game Profiling and Optimizing", concerning in-game profiling tools followed by Rickard Johansson, jury member of SGA07 who gave some useful tips on "How to Win Swedish Game Awards".

Pics and some info on how the evening went.

I thought the food table looked a bit bare. :blink:

Simon Nice Hat :kewlpics:

http://www.sga.to/node/303

Edited by Colin

Follow up post.

GRIN had brought six speakers from the company - all of them sharing a part of their experience in the gaming industry and in their respective fields with the audience. Rickard Johansson, Lead Mission Designer held an introduction of GRIN, Niklas Frykholm and Tobias Persson, Engine Programmers talked about "Game Profiling and Optimizing", concerning in-game profiling tools followed by Rickard Johansson, jury member of SGA07 who gave some useful tips on "How to Win Swedish Game Awards".

Pics and some info on how the evening went.

I thought the food table looked a bit bare. :blink:

Simon Nice Hat :kewlpics:

http://www.sga.to/node/303

You missed the rest of the speakers. ;)

During the break SGA offered refreshments as usual, and then Erik Pettersson, Lead Artist, entered the stage to talk about "The Art of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2". Later Simon Viklund, Sound Designer, showed how to implement 2D, 2.5D and 3D sounds and explained the difference between them in his presentation "Sound: It's not how you record it - it's how you implement it", followed by Hjalmar Vikstrom, Lead Gameplay Programmer and his "Implementing Gameplay with Scripts",

showing how to script certain useful behaviors and talk about the advances with their new technique “hot swapingâ€.

See. Its all coming together into a great game. Graw was good. 2 will be better. Heck, my guys already play the 360 version of 2. Couldnt get em to play the PC version of graw, :hmm: . Pc traitors I guess. :D Love to hear more on the optimizing part though. Is that HDR optimizing? Sound optimizing? Less specs to run the PC version? Is there a forest map? Are you bringing all the maps from Graw into the game? Can everyone who modded in Graw import there maps? Can the Saw cut down trees and kill more than one man at a time barley ,now? can you shoot over 100 meters now? Is there expansion pacs with all new maps planned 4 months apart? Will hits register with movement of your guy? WOW ,sorry. Guess we shall see. That would make it a great game then. WOULDNT IT. w00t

See. Its all coming together into a great game. Graw was good. 2 will be better. Heck, my guys already play the 360 version of 2. Couldnt get em to play the PC version of graw, :hmm: . Pc traitors I guess. :D Love to hear more on the optimizing part though. Is that HDR optimizing? Sound optimizing? Less specs to run the PC version? Is there a forest map? Are you bringing all the maps from Graw into the game? Can everyone who modded in Graw import there maps? Can the Saw cut down trees and kill more than one man at a time barley ,now? can you shoot over 100 meters now? Is there expansion pacs with all new maps planned 4 months apart? Will hits register with movement of your guy? WOW ,sorry. Guess we shall see. That would make it a great game then. WOULDNT IT. w00t

The optimizing part was in general for game engines, not GRAW2 specific. The evening was arranged by SGA mainly towards aspiring new developers and those participating in the contest, so everything wasn't GRAW/GRAW2 oriented.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is a Grand Finale on June 2 in Stockholm. Anyone able to go?

Events include:

Grand Finale

Swedish Game Awards' last and greatest event, the Grand Finale, will take place June 2 at Kulturhuset in Stockholm. After a fair with partners and nominated teams, winners will be announced and prizes awarded. You may already want to consider your choices for accommodation in Stockholm.

Exhibition

Time: 11.00 - 16.00

Where: Hörsalen, Kulturhuset, Stockholm

Sweden's largest and newest game developers will show of their latest creations! Ask them about their work, how to get into the industry, what positions are available, or how you can make your own games. Find out more about Swedish Game Awards and how you can compete next year, or look at the nominated games from this year.

Mingle

Time: 16.00 - 17.30

Where: Teaterbaren, Kulturhuset, Stockholm

Take this opportunity to share a beer and meet other game developers. Meet the industries top game developers and discuss your game ideas or just chit-chat about the latest game.

If you prefer you can watch the Play! concert that starts at 15.00 and still make it in time for the prize ceremony! Buy tickets from Ticnet. If you've already bought a ticket for 19.30 you can exchange it to 15.00 for only 20 SEK! Contact the ticket office at Konserthuset (08-50 66 77 88).

Prize ceremony

Time: 17.30 - 19.00

Where: Hörsalen, Kulturhuset, Stockholm

Who are the winners and will share the prize amount of 130 000 SEK? What are the best independent student-developed games this year? Find out as representatives from Sweden's largest game development companies award the winners! The host for the evening is none other than Orvar Säfström.

Special night for the nominated teams

Where: [secret], Kulturhuset, Stockholm

If you are one of the honoured finalists you are in for one amazinge evening! We'll start with a cocktail at 19.00 where you'll get the chance to mingle with representatives from game development companies such as Grin, Avalanche and EA Dice. One hour later, at 20.00, we'll sit down to enjoy a nice Gala Dinner. Wonder what famous game developer you'll sit next to?.. When the dinner's over, the night has just begun! The party starts at 22.00 and specially invited guests will enter the club at 22.30. Party the night away into your future in game development!

This might just be even better than the prizes...