Worried

I was looking for a game to play last week, and decided to install the [Ghost Recon]; needless to say the fun was still there, even after (6?) years of age. After installing the ACU Gucci Pack, the M4 SOPMOD pack, and the DTD SCAR mod I decided to call up my neighbor to see if he had GRAW. Seeing as I was highly disappointed GR2 did not come to the PC, and I didn't really like the idea of playing as "an advanced warfighter," I never had tried GRAW.

Well, lets just say my impression of GRAW was horrible. It was nothing like the Ghost Recon I love. It felt like an entirely new series! Not to mention, even with settings on low, I got horrible frame rates; yes yes, it is a newer game and I should expect it to eat more resources, but what really bugged me about it was that the game did not even look good. I didn't really enjoy the gameplay, and as aforementioned, the graphics were kinda disappointing. My team members (in the campaign) sucked, the enemy AI was great, but losing quick-save really took the fun out of it for me. In fact, I feel quite horrible for not buying GRAW (even now), as I feel like I have betrayed the series by not doing it, but I feel like the series has let me down even worse.

Now, that my rant on GRAW is done, is there reason to be worried about how GRAW2 will turn out? I know the beta testers have an NDA, but I would like them to tell me if its like GRAW or not.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Long live the original!

maybe they can answere the questions simply with a smilyface

so what does it feel like: <put your smile here> i guess most will have played GR so use that as a reference.... ???

don't know if that would break NDA or not but i can try to ask ?? :ph34r:

Now, that my rant on GRAW is done, is there reason to be worried about how GRAW2 will turn out? I know the beta testers have an NDA, but I would like them to tell me if its like GRAW or not.

Unfortunately, their NDA's will not let them tell you that. The most they can say is if they like it don't but can't say why or give any other information or comparisons.

Well, I'm in the beta, and I'm not violating the NDA by saying this: If you're looking for an updated version of [GR], then play [GR] because GRAW ain't that. GRAW isn't OGR3, and GRAW2 isn't OGR4. GRAW is GRAW, and GRAW2 is a follow-up to GRAW. It's not going to be OGR4.

This dead horse has been beaten like a French whore since GRAW came out.

I was looking for a game to play last week, and decided to install the [Ghost Recon]; needless to say the fun was still there, even after (6?) years of age. After installing the ACU Gucci Pack, the M4 SOPMOD pack, and the DTD SCAR mod I decided to call up my neighbor to see if he had GRAW. Seeing as I was highly disappointed GR2 did not come to the PC, and I didn't really like the idea of playing as "an advanced warfighter," I never had tried GRAW.

Well, lets just say my impression of GRAW was horrible. It was nothing like the Ghost Recon I love. It felt like an entirely new series! Not to mention, even with settings on low, I got horrible frame rates; yes yes, it is a newer game and I should expect it to eat more resources, but what really bugged me about it was that the game did not even look good. I didn't really enjoy the gameplay, and as aforementioned, the graphics were kinda disappointing. My team members (in the campaign) sucked, the enemy AI was great, but losing quick-save really took the fun out of it for me. In fact, I feel quite horrible for not buying GRAW (even now), as I feel like I have betrayed the series by not doing it, but I feel like the series has let me down even worse.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. Long live the original!

I'd be worried if you though GRAW looked horrible.... I thought it looked good, do you have a graphics card older than 68xx series? I tried reinstalling [GR] after playing GRAW, no it was nowhere near the same but at the same time I didnt feel "like a special forces soldier, i felt like i was hunting deer or something, the firefights consisted of 4-5 shot max and i'd have taken out 4-5 guys :o=

Maybe the way we interact with the map could be improved and all the other stuff like bugs worked on, but as a whole GRAW was ok. The thing I don't like the idea of now is that GRAW 2 doesn't look like a new game (from the screenshots)It looks like stuff that didnt make it into GRAW.

This:

http://resources.ubi.com/resources/65/6534...nvironment_.jpg

reminds me of the mission that starts "welcome to the hottes part of hell, captain". Something about it is too similar

But its still early days of course, so we can hope. Just don't expect anything groundbreaking, chances are it wont be and even if it is, only a handful of people with powerfull PCs will be able to appreciate it.

Unfortunately, their NDA's will not let them tell you that. The most they can say is if they like it don't but can't say why or give any other information or comparisons.

:shifty:

Ahhh they can say whether they like it. Well, does anyone like it then?? Come on 0:)

According to previews the gameplay hasn't changed much. However, the AI has been improved BIG time. Your teammates are more direct and moves where they are ordered.

In terms of gameplay I guess you won't be able to shot while running (as in GRAW) but that doesn't bother me much since I like that game design choice :)

Quick saves is back but you can't save in a firefight. Recon mode for your team is also back... etc. etc. etc.

I'm quite confident that GRAW2 will be great. I was quite disappointed with GRAW but it's much bettter now after 1.35.

' date='Apr 13 2007, 11:43 AM' post='460225']

Well, I'm in the beta, and I'm not violating the NDA by saying this: If you're looking for an updated version of [GR], then play [GR] because GRAW ain't that. GRAW isn't OGR3, and GRAW2 isn't OGR4. GRAW is GRAW, and GRAW2 is a follow-up to GRAW. It's not going to be OGR4.

And if they changed the name of a certain French whore from "Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher" to "Advanced Warfighter" I'd be willing to leave it alone and stop making comments about how bad it's makeup is or how cheap the perfume smells.

:)

-jk

Callsign NoFrenchWhoresHere

' date='Apr 13 2007, 06:43 PM' post='460225']

Fans of [GR] (me anyway) are not looking for an updated [GR] but rather the functionality of the [GR] interface (MP/Server Choices) for the game types. ( I hope that make sense).

And if they changed the name of a certain French whore from "Ghost Recon Advanced Warfigher" to "Advanced Warfighter" I'd be willing to leave it alone and stop making comments about how bad it's makeup is or how cheap the perfume smells.

:)

-jk

Callsign NoFrenchWhoresHere

Fans of [GR] (me anyway) are not looking for an updated [GR] but rather the functionality of the [GR] interface (MP/Server Choices) for the game types. ( I hope that make sense).

Well, GRAW was the first title in the series I had ever played. When I did buy GRAW and joined these forums, I did buy [GR] just to see what all the hoopla was about. I think an updated version of [GR], idependent of GRAW, would be a great game. I can see why you guys are so upset from the perspective of [GR] fans. I'm just saying GRAW is not that game, even though it bears the GR name. I'm not saying you shouldn't be upset. I'm just answering his concern about GRAW 2 fullfilling his [GR] expectations. Furthermore, you can't fault me for taking the opportunity to use the expression "French whore," can you?

I'd be worried if you though GRAW looked horrible.... I thought it looked good, do you have a graphics card older than 68xx series?

I have a Sapphire X1600XT ("Ultimate" edition.) The texture quality on a lot of objects sucked; the characters, weapons, etc. were fine, though. But half-assing it doesn't cut it. Also, it seems a lot like they just threw a bunch orange over the screen and called it a day. Screw bloom and all that crap, I want to be able to see things... umm... clearly?

I tried reinstalling [GR] after playing GRAW, no it was nowhere near the same but at the same time I didnt feel "like a special forces soldier, i felt like i was hunting deer or something, the firefights consisted of 4-5 shot max and i'd have taken out 4-5 guys

If you are referring to the original feeling like you were a deer hunter... I'd just like to comment that I didn't. If I was a soldier (special forces or not) I wouldn't go waltzing out through Mexico city shooting everything in sight; I would probably take it low and slow, while isolating enemies to create the least resistance, and to make my job easier. Just a guess, though.

Of course it isn't [GR], but that doesn't mean they have to completely rape the name of Ghost Recon with new games. In fact... I'm not sure if I should even continue my quote on your post... it seems like you are very angry for some reason. I know it won't be OGR4, and I know GRAW wasn't OGR3, but you dont have to get all violent about it mate.

According to previews the gameplay hasn't changed much. However, the AI has been improved BIG time. Your teammates are more direct and moves where they are ordered.

In terms of gameplay I guess you won't be able to shot while running (as in GRAW) but that doesn't bother me much since I like that game design choice :)

Quick saves is back but you can't save in a firefight. Recon mode for your team is also back... etc. etc. etc.

I'm quite confident that GRAW2 will be great. I was quite disappointed with GRAW but it's much bettter now after 1.35.

Thanks a lot, it sounds like it might be worth it.

Of course it isn't [GR], but that doesn't mean they have to completely rape the name of Ghost Recon with new games. In fact... I'm not sure if I should even continue my quote on your post... it seems like you are very angry for some reason. I know it won't be OGR4, and I know GRAW wasn't OGR3, but you dont have to get all violent about it mate.

Well I reread his reply several times and to me he doesn't sound angry at all. He is just making a clear balanced opinion about the resemblance/differences between Ghost Recon ([GR]) and The Advanced Warfighters (:AW). Read it again, and see that he writes in a nice calm fashion (he doesn't even use expression marks (!)).

It is clear that the GR franchise has made a different turn by the new storyline and gameplay :AW has to offer. Some think it's a (very) bad new path and some do like it (a lot). Respect that and everything will be just fine.

Please keep in mind that reading a post can be interpreted in a positive way and a negative way. Try to always do so in a positive way. It will prevent a lot of miscommunication and harsh words (bashing) against each other.

:thumbsup:

Peace Ya'll. :)

Edited by Toniezz

Well I reread his reply several times and to me he doesn't sound angry at all. He is just making a clear balanced opinion about the resemblance/differences between Ghost Recon ([GR]) and The Advanced Warfighters (:AW). Read it again, and see that he writes in a nice calm fashion (he doesn't even use expression marks (!)).

It is clear that the GR franchise has made a different turn by the new storyline and gameplay :AW has to offer. Some think it's a (very) bad new path and some do like it (a lot). Respect that and everything will be just fine.

Please keep in mind that reading a post can be interpreted in a positive way and a negative way. Try to always do so in a positive way. It will prevent a lot of miscommunication and harsh words (bashing) against each other.

:thumbsup:

Peace Ya'll. :)

Thanks! That's exactly right. I even stated in a follow-up post: "I can see why you guys are so upset from the perspective of [GR] fans. I'm just saying GRAW is not that game, even though it bears the GR name.

I think the new story line is great, the graphics while my machine is not 100% are great. My only problem with the game is the MP Server options don't allow you the same level of playability as [GR] did. They did not even need to model it the same just provide the same options, you would not see 90% of the complaints from the old GR fans. Plus they still would have been able to include their own newer gametypes while keeping the original ones as well.