GRAW 2 Beta has started

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but everybody bitching makes it sound like Ubi is TRYING to screw these people over. What about BF2142? STALKER? Games that AREN'T Ubi games also use this, it is NOT just Ubi.

Never thought I'd actually defend them (Ubi) on something, but damn...

Well when you have to pay for a subscription to some BS game service just to test a beta out, you are right..Damn..

UBISOFT + GAMESPY subscription = UBISPY

Edited by Papa6

No, but everybody bitching makes it sound like Ubi is TRYING to screw these people over. What about BF2142? STALKER? Games that AREN'T Ubi games also use this, it is NOT just Ubi.

Never thought I'd actually defend them (Ubi) on something, but damn...

I would agree...but...

I'd say Ubi is in a position where they need to be a little cognizant of their PR right now... people might have been willing to pay to test STALKER because of what it was/is. Ubi hasn't done much to make the PC people happy lately... this is just more salt on the wound.

Frankly, I think paying to test a game is nearly the most idiotic thing anyone can do. At least tell me for the privilege of spending $40 you get a coupon for a reduced price on the retail version. If someone pays to beta test a game and gets nothing in return... well... stupid is as stupid does. Something about a fool and his money comes to mind...

-jk

Callsign 3Point

Papa6, this is what, your tenth post across several threads that say you think having to subscribe the GameSpy for the beta is something you don't like?

Got it. Now please stop repeating yourself. We don't look kindly on spammers in these here parts. :wall:

Oh, and the same goes for everyone who is just repeating ad nauseum about not liking the so called "pay to play" situation.

It's a business model. It's not just Ubi who makes use of FilePlanet/GameSpy for betas of games and patches, previews a few days early, etc etc. Also it was never said that this was an open beta. I believe it's been stated that it's a closed beta. It just irks me that people are complaining about this when it's happened with tons of games before it and even those communities didn't whine like this.

This is one of the few times I'm embarrassed to be associated with this game.

I'd say Ubi is in a position where they need to be a little cognizant of their PR right now... people might have been willing to pay to test STALKER because of what it was/is. Ubi hasn't done much to make the PC people happy lately... this is just more salt on the wound.

This isn't something to make you all of a sudden sign up for FilePlanets services. This is something for those who have already been doing it. It's also something to show you the benefits of having a subscription.

Frankly, I think paying to test a game is nearly the most idiotic thing anyone can do. At least tell me for the privilege of spending $40 you get a coupon for a reduced price on the retail version. If someone pays to beta test a game and gets nothing in return... well... stupid is as stupid does. Something about a fool and his money comes to mind...

Again, the money spent on the subscription is NOT for only beta testing GRAW 2. You get plenty of other benefits, even if you don't make use of them.

Edited by Nutlink

Like "Colin" said, you need a GRAW 2 BETA CD-KEY which you get as a file planet subscribe or a new subscriber. The download is 931.6Mb and you are given a key if you have a FilePlanet account, which costs $3.50 a month about two pounds GB, which is not too much for all the high speed access to files & beta's are just a part of it.

It's not about paying for GRAW 2 beta but helping out in a game that you want to be the best it can be. I have an account and the BETA KEY was no additional cost. Nothing if for free, inc. this forum, it all costs money and I'm going to PP GR.net a little because this thread reminded me. Small price to pay to help out something I love.

:P

I also received an email invitation, but never got a second email with a download link and key. Fortunately I have a membership at Fileplanet courtesy of Comcast, so I registered for the beta at Fileplanet and was given a key and download link.

....the ones who have it come on feed us the info ???

They do, and they are risking their account here. There's an NDA in effect for all beta testers, and GR.net may not be under the same NDA, but we will respect Ubisoft's wishes with regards to information being leaked by testers.

Sorry, folks. Hints and feelings are fine; details, not so much. :nono:

Agreed, I'm still pretty much under one from years ago during the LOMAC testing phase. Sure I can let a few things out, but still mum about whatever went down. So yeah, if I don't get selected (maybe I should be more happy towards GRAW? Nah) mox nix.

I think that there are some misunderstandings about the beta test and having to pay for it.

I received an e-mail invitation to register to become a beta tester. I filled out the form and was asked for the following:

an E-mail account............a Gamespy account..............and the UBI.com account. I got the confirmation that my entry was received. I thought that was enough. NO WHERE did it say that you had to be a FilePlanet Subscriber to participate. After reading so many posts about what has happened, I am feeling a little confused. IF I had been made aware that I needed a FP account, I would then have decided whether or not to "purchase" one, and yes enjoy the beta test AND all the other benefits as well. I just found this out today.

I have yet to recieve any more info, no e-mail, or anything about either my registration, or whether I was considered eligible. I guess that after seeing that the beta test is now "open" to other subscribers of FP, and if I hurry I might just get one, I can only conclude that I was NOT accepted as a beta tester.

Am I a little angry..........(yea....... :angry: ) will I get over it..............(probably........... :hmm: )

But I still think it was a badly thought out process to find beta testers. ......... :o

Kingkat..................... :(

So if I understand, I was invited, but NOT selected..........?

I honestly have no clue. I'm in the "neither" camp, personally, and of course don't work for Ubisoft or GameSpy.

Question for those who were invited, but haven't received a key yet: Do you have 2 gigs of RAM? That threw me for a loop when I saw GameSpy's page saying that was the minimum needed. I wonder if those who were invited but didn't get a key were left out for tech. spec. reasons?

I'm reminded of the Far Cry MP beta a few years ago. Keys took a couple of days to go out, and then the FTP site the beta was on was so underwhelming, many of the legitimate participants were resorting to downloading leaked copies via P2P services.

In the GRAW2 case, it's horrible communication at fault for most of the issues so far. Shame, really.

So if I understand, I was invited, but NOT selected..........?

I honestly have no clue. I'm in the "neither" camp, personally, and of course don't work for Ubisoft or GameSpy.

Question for those who were invited, but haven't received a key yet: Do you have 2 gigs of RAM? That threw me for a loop when I saw GameSpy's page saying that was the minimum needed. I wonder if those who were invited but didn't get a key were left out for tech. spec. reasons?

I was invited.

I have 2 GB of ram.

I have heard nothing since.

You do the math.

It's a HUGE blunder. no where did UBISOFT say anything about gamespy/filefront etc. I guess the people who elected my countries president are the same ones working for UBISOFT. <_<

In the US, if you'll give me some latitude admins, but corporations run my country. they lobby so companies with the same demeanor as UBISOFT and get away with it. But corporations always win. they have the bucks, quid, moolah, what ever your currency is to buy off judges and what not. happens all the time. mostly corporations settle to stop expensive litigation and higher negative judgements.

my point is, UBISOFT has shown us time and again what it does care about. NOTHING but money. If you want to send a message to ubisoft about their lack of quality etc, don't buy their games.

I think my optimism is gone. I think I see the truth about GRAW2 if this beta crap is any indication.