TDM and OGR with full squad leader tools, yes or no?

TDM and OGR with full squad leader tools  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a poll as requested by Sleepdoc.

I have always wished that a server side option would exist for all team based games (which allow 4 man squads to organize) which imparts to the squad leader the same order-giving system and cross com capabilities as found in the single player game. In addition, I would like to have the option to impart to the squad the same hi tech tools which exist in single player. In other words, it would be nice if a server side option could be selected which would impart the ability of the squad leader to give orders and use teh cross com in games like TDM and [GR]. It would also be nice if the satellite views were also allowable via option (option server side of course) for one side or both or niether.

Typically, polls lack enough specificity to be valid. So I'm going to limit this poll strictly to a question about Team Death Match.

Assuming that these capabilities were server side choices (not locked into one way only .... admin choice), and assuming that you already play TDM, do you think you would enjoy playing TDM games that include some amount of these features for squad leaders and members?

Just a note... satellite intel would need to be gridded matching all soldiers mini maps + no showing of enemy on satellite view.

Roco,

I think you mised my point. when I said use of satellite, I meant it. Exactly as it is implemented in single player. In single player, the satellite shows enemy. if that enemy gets under a tree or an overhang, he cannot be seen. But if he is runnning out in the open, he can be seen.

When I said satellite, I didn't mean tactical map. I meant LIVE FEED SATELLITE.

My poll is specifically asking if we were given the choice (on or off at admin's control), would people like to play TDM with complete LIVE FEED satellite access (just like single player) and order giving/cross comm access .... EXACTLY AS IT IS IMPLEMENTED IN SINGLE PLAYER.

That's not to say I don't appreciate your point. I do. you are bascialy saying "NO" to LIVE FEED satellite as I have posed it in the poll..... but possibly yes to satellite as a means to give tactical orders .... but then that really isnt live feed satellite? is it? So maybe I should have added the words "Live feed satellite" to be crystal clear.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Well, if that is the case I'd have to say that it should be a shared satellite view: one UAV centered on the map. Otherwise, it doesn't make sense to have a dozen or more UAV's zipping around the map. Even in BF2 the UAV was limited to a certain area for only a certain duration, while only the commander had an overall satellite view.

If every squad leader had their own UAV, then they should be modeled so that they could collide, and they should be able to be shot down. But I think that's asking a lot, and beginning to move away from the purpose of the game, which is to shoot people.

The thing I like about GRAW is that the controls are relatively simple. You can just play without worrying about too many in-game features, keystrokes, commands, etc.

' date='Apr 10 2007, 03:19 PM' post='459380']

Well, if that is the case I'd have to say that it should be a shared satellite view: one UAV centered on the map.

Dear Cangaroo,

I think you are mixing different concepts. A UAV is an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. My question did not ask about UAVs. It asked about LIVE FEED SATELLITE. They are vastly different things. A UAV hovers at a relatively low altitude and has its movements controlled by the ghost leader much the same way he gives movement orders to squadmembers. It's live images are fed through a cross com.

A satellite sits in Geosynchronous orbit above the earth and uses intensely powerful optics to get a "close to earth" view. It's live images are fed via a PDA like device available to the squadleader or fed right to his HUD. The satellite image is LIVE, and typically centers on the player using it, allowing the player to then scroll the view around (but not move the actual camera ... it sits in space and in orbit)

Different tool. Different question.

But now that you bring it up, I see another valuable poll question. I wonder if people would like the option of having a UAV, EXACTLY AS IMPLEMENTED IN SINGLE PLAYER, available to squad leaders in team based multiplayer games.

but that is not part of this poll.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Now I'm really confused :wacko: I know the difference between a UAV & satellite, which is probably why I'm confused. But, isn't the tactical map in GRAW a live-feed satellite? Are you talking about a new feature like a satellite view without the ability to issue orders? In your reply to Roco you stated that you did not mean the tactical map, but the tactical map is a live-feed satellite, so by default I thought you really meant the UAV.

' date='Apr 10 2007, 03:56 PM' post='459387']

Now I'm really confused :wacko: I know the difference between a UAV & satellite, which is probably why I'm confused. But, isn't the tactical map in GRAW a live-feed satellite? Are you talking about a new feature like a satellite view without the ability to issue orders? In your reply to Roco you stated that you did not mean the tactical map, but the tactical map is a live-feed satellite, so by default I thought you really meant the UAV.

Ah. now I see why you are confused. And yes. I am mostly to blame as you pointed out.

The tactical map is implemented on the satellite view. But Roco suggested that he would accept the tactical map FUNCTION as long as it did not show the position of enemy forces. But the tactical map, as it is implemented in single player, serves both functions. Tactical map and live satellite view. I wanted to be clear that BOTH FUNCTIONS, including live visual feed, is what my poll is referencing.

The reason i say I am "mostly" to blame for the confusion, but not entirely, is becuase you introduced the term "UAV" in your reponse. And my post in no way talks about UAVs. Just a LIVE satellite feed. Which is coincidentally also used as the tactical map

I hope this clears things up.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Are you my wife in disguise?

LOL In short, I'd say not without significantly larger maps. Currently, before you were able to organize your squad, layout & execute your plan, you'd have Roco & the rest of AFZ in your spawn shooting you in the back LOL.

Edited by Cangaroo[TNT]

Personally, I have no issue's with the current setup in GRAW1. But, and this is a "MUST", a tactical grid is required on the tactical map (overhead view).

I enjoy matching via TvT or Co_Op and one of the aspects I enjoy is using a communication tool such as TeamSpeak or Ventrillo to shout out orders. I find it creates a realism to the stuation. I do not want some area to light up that I click on so that my team knows where I want them to go. Having to give orders via TeamSpeak and having the correct system can make one team stronger then the other.. as it should be.

Cheers

Edited by IrishStout

Personally, I have no issue's with the current setup in GRAW1. But, and this is a "MUST", a tactical grid is required on the tactical map (overhead view).

Better yet Stout was the editable grids like we had in GR1. Every team has their own take on how they would like them to be used, or if they would like to mark off certain areas or positions for teammates. The Advanced Tactical Control Editor was a really cool concept for GRAW, being able to draw, plan and mark off the Tac Map. Now if somehow that can be added into the game so before a match or during you can point out certain spots to your teammates, that would be sweet. Also if you can directly export these as in Game Tac grids or in some sort of Image viewer, that would be nice as well. 1 more thing, it would be nice to be able to import these into a photo editor, such as Photoshop, edit, and export back to GRAW, so they can be distributed to teammates and the community.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

Cangaroo was correct... i was assuming the tactical map in GRAW 1 was live satellite feed. In TDM you don't want it showing enemies as it will give the surprize away. I wouldn't mind though a Tactical map with live feed of my squad members locations for TDM.

I am thinking there should be a way to edit them and customize them. Might end up being a Punkbuster issue? But I am thinking with the new maps people are going to create, the will need to apply the grid overlay.

Unless it is somehow just and image that gets applied over.. because it can be static and the same when you think of it.

But I am very excited none the less.. I have seen the latest screenshots and I must say.. I see a grid overlay :drool:

I am actually quite surprised how many people viewed this topic and yet so few voted. Hopfully we can get more votes on this poll, as I thik it is a relveant one. But they. thats just me.

More votes please.

Now the current results at the time I am writing this post suggest that most poeple (a large majority) see no reason to exlude the order giving system and the cross comm access. But it seems to be split almost down the middle on if people would ever play a game where live satellite was available.

For the recond. I voted to allow all options and I would likely play games with all options.. Of course, I would also play games with out satellite. I like different server styles from time to time.

I would like the functionality of viewing a live satellite feed.

However, if you didn't want to see the OPFOR, how about part of the server-side option would be to provide a historic map overlay instead (say, a one week old satellite intel shot) "because the live feed is unavailable" or the conflict area is covered in clouds/night-time/etc.

Then UAVs could then help augment with real-time information. Of course, having your opponents shoot them down is an inherent risk to using them.

I would like the functionality of viewing a live satellite feed.

However, if you didn't want to see the OPFOR, how about part of the server-side option would be to provide a historic map overlay instead (say, a one week old satellite intel shot) "because the live feed is unavailable" or the conflict area is covered in clouds/night-time/etc.

Then UAVs could then help augment with real-time information. Of course, having your opponents shoot them down is an inherent risk to using them.

Hi Rossiski,

Yep. Options are teh key here. I don't want anyone to think I am requesting that Satellite or cross comm be a fixed feature. I would love ot have these features be server-side admin choices when setting up his game. In my opinion, these sorts of toggles server side can create a much larger online community becuase different squads can play the way they like. It takes more work for the developer, but at some point, I believe more options leads to a "more than worth the trouble" increase in buyers and players. Not to mention lengevity.

Do you know that I bought 4 copies of raven shield this year (currently selling for 10 bucks) becuase we still enjoy the different coop options? and of course, the servers and community and still aorund in reasonably large numbers.

• 3 months later...

This is a poll as requested by Sleepdoc.

I have always wished that a server side option would exist for all team based games (which allow 4 man squads to organize) which imparts to the squad leader the same order-giving system and cross com capabilities as found in the single player game. In addition, I would like to have the option to impart to the squad the same hi tech tools which exist in single player. In other words, it would be nice if a server side option could be selected which would impart the ability of the squad leader to give orders and use teh cross com in games like TDM and [GR]. It would also be nice if the satellite views were also allowable via option (option server side of course) for one side or both or niether.

Typically, polls lack enough specificity to be valid. So I'm going to limit this poll strictly to a question about Team Death Match.

Assuming that these capabilities were server side choices (not locked into one way only .... admin choice), and assuming that you already play TDM, do you think you would enjoy playing TDM games that include some amount of these features for squad leaders and members?

3rd option, BUT for clans in team matches only, I would never play on a public server like that.

Wow. this old post got resurrected.

nice to see it has a few votes on the poll too.

I would still love to see squad formations reoccur in the new coop (old [GR] coop)

if we have a squad leader, we could respawn on leader.

And of course, i would like to squad leaders have the order tools with cross comm 2.0... just like the poll asks people about.

Ah.... if but to dream ........

Edited by Sleepdoc