It seems new maps for GRAW1 grew alot lately - Why?

Sleepdoc-iBeta

I do not make maps in GRAW and have not even looked at the tool. So I know nothing technically about the tool. The last map maker I ever used was for Novalogic's BlackHawk down series. I'm guessing things have changed since then.

But I recall that after the tool was released, very few new maps showed up on the scene. And the Forum posts indicated that they might never "take off" due to lots of difficulties and limitations with the tool. I accepted what I was reading becuase it seemed that so few maps available confirmed the opinions.

Now I am finding (much to my pleasure) many new maps appearing all the time. especially [GR] and TDM (2 of my favorite multiplyer games).

What has happened in the last few months that has allowed for the new maps pool to take off? Is it simply that time and learning curve on the tool has finally gotten traction?

Sleepdoc

I think it was a learning curve thing like with all now programs/editors.

If you look at who made the maps you'll notice that there are only a few modders who have made most of those. So that would be the modders who stuck with it until they had figured it out. Look at GR1 map modding and all the problems with sherman levels in the beginning... It took some time before new maps appeared for GR1 as well, counting from when the exporter was released with DS.

actually, i'm a really good map designer, turned in a few attempts for BDA, had a REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD ONE ALMOST DONE ######, but then my windows started to not boot, so I had to format, then I stopped doing it after the format for some reason. the GRAW editor is FAR easier to use than the CoH editor, though, good god. Although, by far , the Starcraft Campaign Editor was the easiest. I loved StarForge.

The biggest reason for the mass of maps that have come out lately is that the maps are re-dos from the game. People have just gone in and rearranged the AI and such.

So the maps are not really new, just a new version, and the only thought into it is the AI placement and how to code. GRIN left us far to little to work with, thus people tire of the maps easily.

With GRAW2 on the horizon nobody is really anxious to make new ones. I'm planning a new one using the map The Island that I made, but there is no change in scenery, just a different approach.

Rav :zorro:

It is a learning curve that got to a lot of people at the beginning, but now that it seems like some people stuck with it, and experimented enough with what the game could and couldn't do, you get some new maps. Now its getting to the point where all the new maps are looking similar to each other due to the limited use of objects. You need to have some 3dmax skill to get new objects into the game, and that requires you to 1. have 3dmax, and 2. have enough knowledge on how to use it, which isn't easy to do. Hopefully Graw2's editor will let you mix match the objects, and that will atleast let in some more interesting maps without having to under stand 3dmax.

*oh boy do I remember the first time I got my map to work. It was soo exciting. :)*

Because ,I decided to make maps cause there was not enough of them and most of them sucks(stupid spawn,snipers up in trees etc)I have deleted a lot; sometimes I tried it once only...you see some mappers make one map and they talk about it for months ...I think they want an awards for it .Stop blabla for prestige and do more maps.I don't want any awards ...I just want good maps for the game cause I like this game some players told me that I give them the taste to play GRAW again, an 2 or 4 maps are not enough to run a server right...you'll get bored of it real fast.You see in GR1 theres a lot of mappers an alot of maps too.They also do remake of same maps an thats ok cause it's needed...so the communauty has more choices.My work is talking by itself...also I'm not gonna post my maps here anymore cause they 're not wanted by admin most of the time...so keep my share link in your favorites or visit Ghostaholic.com cause they got all my maps.

Pretty much, Doc. It takes a while to get used to the editor, and between family, work, friends, beer and other games it's hard to stick with it. I made a lot of maps for GRAW 1, but only publicly released 2 of them, and those were both conversions of Grin maps. The ones I made followed what I did with Strongpoint and only had a small number of random enemies. This made it a lot more fun than maps that have 200+ enemies for those I played with because we would try getting thru each map without getting killed.

Eventually the crew I played with stopped playing GRAW and most of the new custom maps I've seen are usually 500+ tangos on a map. Not a lot of fun IMO, but the GRAW [GR] Coop community seems to embrace those types of maps. Hopefully the editor is the similar in GRAW 2 so I can try getting a group of people to play old school style with no respawns and limited tangos.

I have made only one [GR] GRAW map, so I hesitate to offer an opinion based on my lack of experience. However, I must agree with the general consensus about the difficulty of the editor. I find it to be wonderful and terrible at the same time. I calculate that over half of the many hours I spent making the map were trial & error excersizes determining what it could or could not do. And a LOT of things it was supposed to do did not work (as Rav can attest to), and had to be deleted. I started with scripted objectives with waypoints. Nope, not gonna work. How about C-4 objectives? Hours later, so sorry. OK, messages to the players? Can't trust it. And to really screw you up, things work when you play by yourself, but not on dedicated servers.

Anyway, the editor is a challenge, and I admire those of you who figured it out and were even able to modify it to do things outside it's 'box'. And thanks to the efforts of folks like Wolfsong and the others who post here with questions and answers AND HELP, perhaps more modders will take up the challenge.

MOM

Edited by MeanOldMan

• 1 month later...

Well this has turned out to be the thread of mappers ;) good reading all the posts..

My 2 cents:

GRAW was released some 12 months ago and like others said, pick up on the editor was slow but around July 2006 things were in swing and then GRIN added coop [GR] mode to the game and that mode started it's learning curve in Sept.2006.

The main thing is mapping is about having a good idea and making it happen with the building bricks you have in front of you. Which is where alot of maps fall down, because the bricks are the same dam bricks for every map. There are tricks that can be used that extended the brick set and now we have a second burst of life as more mappers start to use these tricks, but the map needs abit of beta testing, so it does not fall over in game/ game cycle.

The soon to be release of GRAW 2 has slowed things down as nobody wants to make maps for a game that may be sidelined in five weeks. If GRAW 2 supports GRAW 1 maps then get ready for another burst of maps, I had a look inside GRAW 2 scripting system and it does look promising. The old toys (some of them) are still being referenced to in the new maps along with a stack of new toys (objects). Also there seems to be the ability to have a more custom scenario for the map than we have now, which will open up even more possibilities. I've seen ref: to time, sky & lighting...without getting into to much detail (GRAW2 official secrets act ;) ). If GRIN give us all there editor power, as they mentioned previously, they would, then look forward to a barrage of maps with even more tricks....

Till 28th ish June 2007, catch me on Teamspeak over at the BDA website www.thebeerdrinkingassassins.com I'm happy to talk to anyone. The end of the day it's our maps that keep this community, game alive, without then I'm sure it would be on the self gathering dust. This community that actually plays GRAW is less than 1000 of which approx 100-150 are online at any one time but with time, it still may be a classic (re: GRAW2).

viii

Well this has turned out to be the thread of mappers ;) good reading all the posts..

My 2 cents:

GRAW was released some 12 months ago and like others said, pick up on the editor was slow but around July 2006 things were in swing and then GRIN added coop [GR] mode to the game and that mode started it's learning curve in Sept.2006.

The main thing is mapping is about having a good idea and making it happen with the building bricks you have in front of you. Which is where alot of maps fall down, because the bricks are the same dam bricks for every map. There are tricks that can be used that extended the brick set and now we have a second burst of life as more mappers start to use these tricks, but the map needs abit of beta testing, so it does not fall over in game/ game cycle.

The soon to be release of GRAW 2 has slowed things down as nobody wants to make maps for a game that may be sidelined in five weeks. If GRAW 2 supports GRAW 1 maps then get ready for another burst of maps, I had a look inside GRAW 2 scripting system and it does look promising. The old toys (some of them) are still being referenced to in the new maps along with a stack of new toys (objects). Also there seems to be the ability to have a more custom scenario for the map than we have now, which will open up even more possibilities. I've seen ref: to time, sky & lighting...without getting into to much detail (GRAW2 official secrets act ;) ). If GRIN give us all there editor power, as they mentioned previously, they would, then look forward to a barrage of maps with even more tricks....

Till 28th ish June 2007, catch me on Teamspeak over at the BDA website www.thebeerdrinkingassassins.com I'm happy to talk to anyone. The end of the day it's our maps that keep this community, game alive, without then I'm sure it would be on the self gathering dust. This community that actually plays GRAW is less than 1000 of which approx 100-150 are online at any one time but with time, it still may be a classic (re: GRAW2).

viii

ok.jpg