Developer disable mods!

Battlefield 1942 developers are disabling ALL client side mods in a bid to wipeout cheating - check it out.

A note on cheating and exploits -- we've all seen how cheating can destroy the gameplay experience for everyone. EA and DICE take cheating seriously and we are taking an aggressive stance in preventing exploits which allow people to cheat. The biggest source of all BF cheats and exploits are client-side modifications. With the release of patch 1.4, we are disabling all client-side mods. Unfortunately, this means that the client side mods that aren't used for cheating will also be affected. DICE and EA have spent the past few months trying to engineer a solution which allows client-side mods to work while stopping the cheats. Ultimately it proved impossible to do so in such a way that prevented future client side mods from opening up new methods of cheating and exploitation. However, this doesn't mean that all mods are unusable. By making the mods into full server-side mods (Desert Combat for example), everyone can experience the cool factor that these mods offer.

:o

:o

wow

I guess there will be 2 types of BF1942 players, patch 1.4 players and non patch 1.4 players.

Well those with 2 pcs can now have one pc with 1.4 patch and the other pc with all sorts of mods.

If this happens to the next GR, they better damn well put alot of maps, weapons, and create a character modes. Or else its not gonna live long.*

*I truly hope Im wrong though.

My understanding is that you will be able to play client sided mods offline. It's only when you go online and the server returns a disparity that you'll have any issues. Online you won't be able to activate anything that differs in any respect to the setup being run on the server.

Ghost Recon could do with that.

I'll just run a seperate version for MP gamez

I very much doubt that will be neccesary. You'll just have to remember to deactivate your Merciless Packs (or whatever) before you log on to the server (ie. create a new shortcut).

Think about it this way... There is no difference between a client-side and server-side mod until you join a server right? It clearly states that server-side mods are still supported so the only difference between 1.31 and 1.4 is that you won't be able to run Merciless (for example) on a server that's not hosting it.

If this were Ghost Recon, it would be business as usual, except that the guys who've screwed with their RSB's (full screen NV etc.) would be **** out of luck.

See what I'm getting at? :)

Edited by Meprolite

This does open up a can of worms. Cheating can be gotten rid of, but does inhibit the use of certain kinds of mods. From a GR standpoint, server sided missions would be good, but not mods that are needed by everyone like maps, skins or weapons.

I for one rarely use mods, but I know lots of you do (I hate having to pick through hundreds of kits to find a kit I want to use.) Missions, I do like as they just give you new objectives without adding more kits.

I hate MP CHEATERS :angry:. Mods are what make games fun and "new". Personally i do not have a problem with the whole MP mod issue. it might be unpopular during the first few weeks, etc after it comes out but i think that people who really enjoy MP will play again and be assured of an equal playing field and a cheat free experience. But i hope that SP mods are not affected if they decide to implement this for GR2.

my two cents :ph34r:

Edited by Aggressor

:o:o:o:o:devil:

THE IDEA OF NO MODS IS MORONIC. MODS HAVE MADE THIS GAME AND KEPT IT ALIVE. Sure cheaters suck, but where would u be if their were never mods to GR? There would be no cool skins or tanks or anythin except what the lamers at RS come up with. This would take away my freedom of choice on the manner that I wish to play. I've Been a modder since day one, hence the tag "MODHEADS". We dont cheat. Never have. This game would have gone in my trash a long time ago without mods and thats a fact. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

The modding community as a whole better speak up on this. Taking away our ability to recreate the game in a new and better way, borders on communisim.

Everyone uses mods at one time or another. Maps are mods. Would you like to play the same old crap all the time with nothing new to look forward to. I think not. Its all moronic I tell ya. Dang fools. And yes i play bf1942, and use the Desert combat Mod 90% of the time. Without it its gonna really suck.

GR will suck too. Nuthin but the same old lameass crud all the time.

READ MY MIDDLE FINGER!! IT SAYS IT ALL... :D

For those of you that have never played BF1942, Desert Combat is a total conversion mod. Instead of reliving WW2, you relive Desert Storm with all the associated vehicles and equipment.

What follows is from the press release you've all been getting worked up about:

By making the mods into full server-side mods (Desert Combat for example), everyone can experience the cool factor that these mods offer.

There is no difference between a server-side and client-side mod until you join a server right? So SP remains uneffected for all BF1942 mods across the spectrum.

The only difference post 1.4 is that you wont be able to use a mod on an MP server that's not hosting it. You can't do that with GR at the moment, so what's the melodrama about?

Right now Ghost Recon cheaters can change the color of the skin YOU will wear, or the NVMASK that THEY will use just by editing the RSB file. BF1942 cheaters won't have that option anymore.

Explain how this is a bad thing for a non-cheater?!?

The only difference post 1.4 is that you wont be able to use a mod on an MP server that's not hosting it.  You can't do that with GR at the moment, so what's the melodrama about??!?

I think the melodrama stems from this part of the statement..

With the release of patch 1.4, we are disabling all client-side mods.

As you know GR has hundreds of mods, some server side but mostly client side - on the surface of it that quote would seem to say that if this happened with GR then all it's client side mods destined for the recycle bin.

Is it a question of what we call a client side mod? AFAIK a client side is used in GR to mean that all parties have to have it installed (as opposed to a server side mod like a simple mission file which only need be on the server), so in that quote, do they actually mean a mod that is only running on the client machine and not the server?

Is it a question of what we call a client side mod? AFAIK a client side is used in GR to mean that all parties have to have it installed (as opposed to a server side mod like a simple mission file which only need be on the server), so in that quote, do they actually mean a mod that is only running on the client machine and not the server?

When they say server side, they mean server-client (client has it, and server has it). In the Ghost Recon context, that would be Sabre Teams, DTD IDF etc. Those remain OK as of the new BF1942 patch.

They create confusion when they talk about banning client side mods. All they're saying is that if the server isn't running it, you can't run it. It only applies to MP and won't impact on SP at all.

If the server is running Merciless, you can run Merciless. If the server is running Desert Combat, you can run Desert Combat. If you're offline, you can do whatever you want.

It's ensuring that everyone is playing the same game with the same variables.

It's a good thing :)

Now I am more confused. What does this have to do with using mods in single player. You should be able to activate any mod you want. If you host, all users must have the same mods. On a dedicated server, you have to use the same mods as the server and not have any modified files. Shouldn't the host set the mod setup? Is this not a good way to clean up cheating? Aren't most good servers running server side mods anyway?

:huh:

Ouch!

Long term I think this is the best move. The cheating is outrageous and is getting worse. I doubt if there are any games that can be played that doesn't have cheating going on. I have DF:BHD and Vietcong too and the cheating is just to much. I think the gaming industry is going to have sales problems in the near future unless something is done about this problem. At this time I have no plans to buy any more games. I feel it's a waste of money now.

What we need is some clarification from EA and DICE.

Does this mean that SP mods are now a thing of the past? That would be a tragedy.

Does this mean that enthusiast modders will have to find another hobby? I can't believe they would make that mistake.

Does this mean that ver 1.4 has some built in file authentication that makes sure that all of your game files are authentic and not hacked? That would be good.

I haven't played BF1942, so I don't know how mods are activated and deactivated. With GR, if you have a mod activated, which is not activated on the server, it is automatically disabled when you join the server. Has BF1942 done this as well with versions prior to 1.4? (I'm speaking of traditional mods, which you activate and deactivated through GR's Options menu. Not cheats, which are hacked game files or programs that are "activated" outside the Options menu.)

Edited by ARDelta

I say screw them....They can decide to do whatever they want to do but it doesnt mean its going to work or even sell.

If nobody buys their over-priced non-moddable games they will quickly change their tunes...They are just taking a chance that more people will prefer non-moddable/non-cheatable games than not... but it's a forgone conclusion if everyone keeps buying their games.

Just like any other product or service in the free world , If it stops selling then changes will be made. And also like all other products, If i dont like the product or the service i go somewhere else.

Just for the record i hate cheaters...How anyone can actually have fun or think they are a good player when cheating is the most moronic thing ive ever seen to date.

But i have more than a sneaking suspicion these game company's are tired of people looking around in their games and porting say a counterstrike map to Rogue Spear and things of that sort, more than it is they are trying to combat cheating.

Wolfenstein uses something called Punk Buster and it stops cheating but still allows mods...Im sure EA and DICE have the intelligence and resources to do this as well...if they wanted to.

Dont buy it and send a message to EA....

So who thinks this will cause a huggeee outcry from not just BF1942 MP's, but all other MP's games, whether they be flying sims, or FPS?

But, surely all this will mean is that I will edit the original RSB's to get round the problem. How can you detect that, other than if all install dates aren't the same?

I think it will make cheating harder to detect.