Ghost Recon.net Forums

National Guard Units on Alert

Full Story

Several National Guard brigades are expected to be notified soon that they could be sent to Iraq around the first of next year, according to a senior Defense Department official.

Gates is expected to sign the notices alerting the Guard troops shortly...

While it is not clear yet which units would be alerted, they would likely include brigades that were among the first to go to Iraq early in the war. Some of those include brigades from North Carolina, Florida, Arkansas and Indiana.

I've been a news hawk on this for the past few days now, since it hit the news on the 6th. All reports say the same thing, but the only thing that changes are the states. This has me especially concerned because I plan on joining the NCNG this summer - however, because of my job I'd be a part of the only combat brigade in NC. So, it's possible my unit could receive its orders before I left for OSUT in August. It's got my family scared to death.

Anyway, play nice. :)

So, it's possible my unit could receive its orders before I left for OSUT in August. It's got my family scared to death.

Since you have not completed training and are not integrated into the unit they will more than likely leave you behind as part of the "rear detachment". When a unit deploys they often have to leave some behind, people who have school dates, are recovering from injuries (not just combat type, people still fall in the shower and what not) or for other reasons are unable to make movement.

Edited by Dodger

No, they pay (overall and all told) up to $10,000 per academic year. My school is $52,000 per academic year - it sucks really.

The 100% thing has a nice little disclaimer to it. Basically, "Yeah, we pay 100% if you go to a state school and live off campus." Which I'll probably end up doing. Mom and sister are moving overseas, and someone needs to tend the house. :)