Dual GFX...?

Stinger

Yeah kinda odd and I proly sound stupid too but why don't computerters

ever support dual graphics cards? I am not talking like 2 GF4 Ti4600's or

Radeon 9700's that would be overkill most of the time. But I for instance

have my GF4 and the cheapo Intel gfx that came and I had to disable the Intel

to get the GF4 to work of course. But in games like Ralli Sport I would

love to have the Intel one handle the particle effects or the skid marks

or something meanial but it would improve performance and what I could do.

Will dual gfx cards ever be in the way I am saying or is it just rediculous?

Sorry for all the posts but I have been deprived for awhile and had some Q's.

Well... Graphics cards can work simultaneously, but on different things all together, but not in unison. For example, you watch a movie from a graphics card output on your tv while another is displaying something else on your monitor. This won't work with integrated graphics however.

Cards are not designed to work together, but to do all the work. And with the new ones staying right at the edge of technology, the combine effect would only be useful for old cards, and you would have to buy two of em at one time, so it wouldn't be very cost effective. You might as well just buy a new card and sell your old one on ebay or to a friend.

Well, technically, you could do that, but as RooK said, cards can work simultaneously, but on different things all together, and your gains will not be justifiable for the money you spend on the other card. Something tells me that if you're willing to dish out extra for two cards...just buy a Gf4 4600 or 9700 Pro to begin with... ;)

Edit: Welcome back Stinger...and I see that you've been deprived due to your post flooding...hehe j/k j/k :D

Edited by Dark Ranger

Way back in the day (read: 4 or 5 years ago), I seem to recall that you could run multiple Voodoo cards together. I may be imagining it, but I'm pretty sure that you could. I don't know how much a performance boost it gave you. Unless it was really significant, it probably wasn't worth the money, as I imagine the case would be now, too.

just buy a Gf4 4600 or 9700 Pro to begin with
Well that has past, but I am satisfied with my purchase still. I just wish that crappy Intel pos would help me do something. I can use it if I go Dual monitors but I don't have the need for that it would be more a novelty. Thanks for the welcome back.

@Jester, if it doesn't exist now and I believe you when you say it did at one time then the technologt was either not that good or the technology at the time couldn't do it justice oh well onc emy new job at Price Chopper comes to me then I can have much more $$$ and a much better box. :D

Way back in the day (read: 4 or 5 years ago), I seem to recall that you could run multiple Voodoo cards together. I may be imagining it, but I'm pretty sure that you could. I don't know how much a performance boost it gave you. Unless it was really significant, it probably wasn't worth the money, as I imagine the case would be now, too.

Keyword there: "Voodoo"...and think about system resourses too...it's just too dang inefficient. Nothing beats a 9700 or 4600...except maybe an FX! :P

Nothing beats a 9700 or 4600
That is true unless the 9700 or 4600 system has an AMD and the other box has an Intel CPU then in that case the Intel would of course be superior. :rocky: Okay no need to bring that back up hehe. Think about in 10 years all uor graphics cards will be pos. The newest top of the line card will be running over a GB by far and getting million on 3D Mark 2001 SE if compatiable of course. Kinda makes me feel small. :(

The thing with the FX and why they might be running 1gb of ddrII mem is caused they screwed up, big time.

They ran the card off in 128bit (last time I checked) and the Radeon 9700/9500 cards are 256bit. Thus it needed that more powerful ram to regain a bandwidth lead and so on. Bad thing is, Ati has had a ddrII 9700 running for a few months at least and their newest card (9900?) will be released BEFORE the FX and offering the fastest speeds that can on the 9700's core (say 375-400mhz) and possibly ddrII.

Nvidia says the FX is almost 50% faster than the 9700, but I think they're just bluffing. Time will tell.

Also, the cards available atm go in the order of fastest to slowest: 9700, 9500, 4600 Nvidia is losing :)