how much view distance?

Ok, I know I've been hot about this but get little or no feedback about this issue. I'm speaking about view distance.

Now, I'll say again, What is the view distance of GRAW2? nothing worse than following the marker of a colleague out in the open but not see the person. pure stupid. GRAW on the stronghold map I can see my teammates marker out in th eopen running to the archway and can't see the figure but his name bouncing across the area. I should be able to see him. period.

I'll tell ya all what. IF that isn't changed, then I'll know where this franchise stands in regards to realism and actual game engine improvements.

wondered when you would write this post :D....

it's here finally

anyway, i have to agree with you on the view distance, lately i have been

playing some [GR] coop maps and it is getting anoying sometimes

not that it would destroy the game for me or anything, it is anoying.

the remake of docks is a great example.

great map, if any of you grinners are looking for a good map,

AW 10 daydocks.bundle is the one you should download.

but in this map you also see the problem of view distance

looking at the snipers on the heli pad and the crane

whole containers magicly appear !

you will probably (grin) be working on this, but if you have not, or think it will not matter as you have ways to mask it, that is nice, but in custom maps it is a limitation, just as in stronghold and some other maps

300m would be a big improvement, and a smaller thinner sniper scope reticule would be nice aswell, that big orange dot will hide a lot at 300m.

endless view distance would be great but i guess we lack computing power :D

or at least cover it up with smoke(see daydocks again :D awesome map)

or fog that will still give you the impression of distance but not the magic visibility wall (see how some impacts are displayed on that distance..)

so i gotta agree with papa6 on the view distance :D

please give us a sign,

*returning to my cup of tea with the presence*

If this is due to the limitations of the game engine, then a different game engine will have to be used. snipers are strangled because they are forced to have reduced field of view. in some cases it gives you just a second to get a shot off because the clip plane starts drawing stuff from out of nowhere.

I take it Papa you think there will be a GRAW3 by someone? It would be nice to have some answers from GRiN but i doubt you could ask them how the weather is and get an answer without UBI being involved... Seems either they learnt their lesson from GRAWS feedback or they just cant say anything. It's so quiet on the boards this time i miss Wille and his cryptic clues. :wall:

If this is due to the limitations of the game engine, then a different game engine will have to be used. snipers are strangled because they are forced to have reduced field of view. in some cases it gives you just a second to get a shot off because the clip plane starts drawing stuff from out of nowhere.

Although I myself do not play as sniper much if at all, and I admit to being annoyed by snipers. but my "being annoyed" does not mean that the sniper role is to be underplayed or undervalued. On the contrary. this is about realism. In a tactical shooter, snipers should be annoying. becuase in real life, they are deadly.

As far as the clipping plane is concerend, I can certainly see why it got "missed" in testing. After all, look at the design of the singple player game, and the maps they released with. I dont recall having any issue with it until the map tools came out and long range custom maps came onto the scene. So although it is a serious flaw in a tactical map, I'm guessing that only a small minority of players saw it and/or felt it was a problem.

But it is a problem.

Now that people are more accustomed to GRAW1 and custom maps are very much becoming the norm, the issue is more important than ever.

I hope they fix it.

Has anyone noticed that the draw distance is ever so slightly less in the middle of the screen than at the sides, probably six or eight feet? There is a place on Strongpoint where I like to sit and take down people leaving one of the spawns running on a path perpendicular to me. The path they run on is right at the edge of the draw distance, and depending on whether or not they're on the side of the path closest to or farthest from me, I can see them or not. The thing is, if they're just outside the draw distance so that I can't see them, if I look left or right from where they are so that they're at the edge of my screen, they're suddenly within the draw distance and I can see them. If I try to center them on the screen again, they disappear.

I can still estimate where they are, btw, fire a burst blind, and occasionally take one down, so I know bullets go farther than draw distance.

Upping the distance you can see characters and weapons isn't a problem in GRAW 1, but it's considered a mod so you can't use it unless the server has it too. Upping the LODC to 30000 (300.00m) from the original 15000 (150.00m) isn't that hard.

I would like this fixed also. There should also be proper bullet physics applied (gravity, wind, etc.). This would achieve the realism, and prevent that "easy" 1200m kill.....because, it's NOT easy, especially without a spotter.

...And if proper physics are applied to bullets, the sniper's ability to lean and shoot has to go as well (as shown in hawsemans sig)

A gun held at a 45 degree angle will not hit what your aiming at on long range shots. Actually, the same holds true for iron sights as well.

So if longer range shots become the norm, this should be fixed.

Just as in GR1, in GRAW you can look down slightly to the left and right, the characters just out of range of draw distance are visible. When you return you view to right at them again, they disappear. Try it. On Strongpoint, where the rock bridge is, if you go up there and sit on the cliffs, look across the map where the other team comes out of spawn by the big road. If someone is up on the cliff just out of range, if you look down to the left or right slightly, they are visible. Return to head on view, and they disappear again, yet the buildings are still visible. Now if it is possible to see the buildings, it should be possible to see the people.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

well if they can't get the clip plane fixed, atleast put in fog to compensate and remove the clip plane all together. i can handle that and allow for the fog to be pushed back as we push better PC's.

I've noticed the off center extended view as well.

I'll add to the extension of the draw distance request. In addition to the extension or even if they do not, they should absolutely reduce the enemy AI "vision" / Extra Sensory Perception to the same default draw distance. Nothing is more annoying on some of the COOP maps than being sniped time and time again from snipers that are out of draw distance. You cannot even return fire or look for them with if you are a sniper because they are out of draw distance.

well if they can't get the clip plane fixed, atleast put in fog to compensate and remove the clip plane all together. i can handle that and allow for the fog to be pushed back as we push better PC's.

Papa they did. There is fog in the form of post effects HIGH. Turn it on and you will see that there is no longer a clipping plane as you REALLY can't see that far due to haze.

Papa they did. There is fog in the form of post effects HIGH. Turn it on and you will see that there is no longer a clipping plane as you REALLY can't see that far due to haze.

ROCO.

I run my post processing effects on high and I can ssure you that the clipping plane is very much alive and well. So I have to disappgree with your conclusion.

There are certain cusotm maps that many of you have seen (map names elude me at the moment) where i can actually do exactly what a previous post mentioned. look out of the side of my view to see enemy come into to view, then rotate my view to center on them and they just disappear through the clipping plane.

I can even move my head slowly and get their legs or arms in view while the rest of their body is clipped behind the plane.

There are certain cusotm maps that many of you have seen (map names elude me at the moment) where i can actually do exactly what a previous post mentioned. look out of the side of my view to see enemy come into to view, then rotate my view to center on them and they just disappear through the clipping plane.

I can even move my head slowly and get their legs or arms in view while the rest of their body is clipped behind the plane.

I remember I could do that in the fog in GR1. :P

I'll give it a go ROCO but I doubt that's the case.

I would like this fixed also. There should also be proper bullet physics applied (gravity, wind, etc.). This would achieve the realism, and prevent that "easy" 1200m kill.....because, it's NOT easy, especially without a spotter.

...And if proper physics are applied to bullets, the sniper's ability to lean and shoot has to go as well (as shown in hawsemans sig)

A gun held at a 45 degree angle will not hit what your aiming at on long range shots. Actually, the same holds true for iron sights as well.

So if longer range shots become the norm, this should be fixed.

Sorry this is just not true, a sniper or any good shooter practices with his weapon a lot and knows the aim point is off slightly and adjusts for it. It's not that big a deal. I was a LawEnforcement sniper and practiced hundreds of hours with my weapon under many different conditions. BTW you know its only the aim point thats off right? The bullet still leaves the barrel with the rise and drop following the normal trajectory for that round, gravity is still a constant. GR:AW (iirc) does not take trajectory or angle of the weapons sights in to account which give an unreal feel to the weapon and its handling.