Shouldn't Grenades hitting ground be more audible?

Desmond knows that I think his sound fields and 3D sound are about the best I have ever heard in a PC game.

But something is missing. At least for me. I hope it is improved in GRAW2.

As good as my system is (8800 card, 680i mobo, 2 gigs ram and a X-fi card), I cannot hear a grenade hit the ground to save my life. I can hear a minor, single step shuffle by someone 20 feet away and around a corner, but if a grenade is thrown 50 feet and lands RIGHT AT MY FEET, I cannot hear it.

Tonight, i saw one in its full trajectory. wasn't sure what i was watching. it literally landed within inches of me. Of course, my time to run was lost by the air time of the throw. I had no chance. But as I watched it land next to me, i was once again reminded just how litttle noise grenades make. Barely audible and certainly not distinct. It may as well have been a leaf.

If I had not seen it land, i would have never known it had landed.

Anyone else hear these things better than me. My X-fi sound is awesome. I even have the audio FX vibrational headphones and I live and die my my excellent sounds. but NO NADE SOUNDS!

What gives GRiN?

Edited by Sleepdoc

I hear them once in a while, but usually when there is absolutely no noise, I'm standing still and I know it's coming. Otherwise it pretty much sounds like your kicking garbage around. It would be nice to give it a distinctive impact sound, especially when someone tosses it as hard as they can at a wall 2 feet away from you.

I hear them once in a while, but usually when there is absolutely no noise, I'm standing still and I know it's coming. Otherwise it pretty much sounds like your kicking garbage around. It would be nice to give it a distinctive impact sound, especially when someone tosses it as hard as they can at a wall 2 feet away from you.

Well, if they threw it as hard as they could at the wall 2 feet away from you... wouldn't it explode?

Well, if they threw it as hard as they could at the wall 2 feet away from you... wouldn't it explode?

I don't think so. Explosions dont normally occur due to impact forces as I understand them. they explode at teh ened of the fuse time. although I am sure impact type grenades exist. But I think the one in GRAW is a timed fuse.

And I'm still hoping to get GRiN to comment on why grenades in GRAW hit the ground with the abscense of sound?

I'm still hoping to get GRiN to comment on why grenades in GRAW hit the ground with the abscense of sound?

Might have been planned for but missed in the final build. After all they did do a pretty good job of sounds for a lot of other stuff.

Might have been planned for but missed in the final build. After all they did do a pretty good job of sounds for a lot of other stuff.

As I have said in a recent post, "Best Sounds in any PC game ever. Period" Desmond/Simon's work is the best I have ever heard. Which in effect, makes the ommission of a reasonable grenade impact sound, even the more odd.

Edited by Sleepdoc

If that was the case I highly doubt anyone would want to be carrying those while getting shot at, running, diving, crawling or sliding around.

While 40MM and simular grenades are impact rounds they contain a safety device to prevent them from exploding when you are carrying them and doing all those things. There used to be a throwable impact grenade but I am having a hard time finding info on it at the moment.