Medieval II Total War Kingdoms

An expansion to Medieval II Total War is on the way.

Key features

· Four new, epic campaigns – The Americas, Britannia, The Crusades, and The Teutonic Wars.

· 23 playable factions including Aztec and Native Americans.

· Over 150 new units, including the devastating Greek Firethrower

· Control multiple armies in battle – command reinforcement armies.

· New hero characters with powerful new battlefield abilities

· A huge array of historical characters and events.

· Build permanent forts to garrison troops or seize control of key strategic points

· New technology trees influenced by Religion and Prestige

· New Mission types

· 6 New Multiplayer scenarios and 20 new Custom Battle maps

· Compatible with the new Hotseat multiplayer mode

Campaigns

Americas Campaign

7 playable factions – Spain, The Aztecs, Mayans, Apachean Tribes, Chichimeca, Tlaxcalans and Tarascans.

The Americas…a land of mystery, great riches and exploration, but wrought with treacherous terrain and terrifying inhabitants. Cortes arrives in 1519 with a small, elite force of conquistadors and must rely on his motherland of Spain for the reinforcements and supplies that will help him survive and explore these new lands. Earn the support of Spain to help you explore the mystery and riches of the New World, or take control of the Aztec or Native American factions and call on the Gods and your vast armies to see off this new threat.

Britannia Campaign

5 Playable Factions – England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Norway.

The year is 1258 and England has emerged as a superpower, with a firm grip on the provinces of the British Isles. However, as the English, your forces are spread thinly with the threat of rebellion looming large. Wales and Ireland are poised, ready to rise up and exploit the exposed English provinces. The Scots meanwhile, are squeezed between England’s expansion to the North and the growing Viking presence that threatens their shores. These five kingdoms are set to battle for supremacy in a fast-paced, war strewn campaign that delivers huge battles for high stakes.

Crusades Campaign

5 Playable factions – Kingdom of Jerusalem, Principality of Antioch, Egypt, Turks, Byzantium.

Recreate the epic Crusades in the Holy Land, leading the Crusade States to reclaim Christendom or the defenders of Islam to drive out the infidels. It’s 1174 and the Kingdom of Jerusalem and Principality of the Antioch are united in their struggle for the Holy Land against Egypt, the Turks and Byzantium.

Teutonic Campaign

6 Playable factions – Teutonic Order, Lithuania, Denmark, Novgorod, Poland and the Holy Roman Empire.

In 1250, Northern Europe is locked in a bitter struggle between Paganism and Christianity, once ordained as a Crusade, it is now an unholy slaughter by the dreaded Teutonic order. Take up the black cross and carve out a new empire in the North. Construct mighty fortresses, train powerful Knights to destroy all that lies in your path, or adopt the cause of the Pagan factions and seek to withstand the vengeance of the Order, inspired by your powerful Gods.

Source

"hero characters" eh anybody know what that is all about?

I guess it's famous people from that time who replaces the general in battle. Richard The Lionheart perhaps, with some sort of special ability. Hopefully no magic :ph34r:

Yeah when they say heroes all I can picture is the heroes from Battle for Middle Earth series with all their cool little magic tricks, which I love, but would not be good for this game.

• 5 months later...

Gah.........!

Bought this and had major difficulty reading the DVD on both drives (which are upated!). This is a known issue with the Sega security on the DVD Dual layers. With a heavy heart I took it back........more mods for me I guess.............. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

So anybody got this? What did you think?

I have only played through the Britannia one (dang Halo 3) but I really enjoyed it, felt like a big campaign but it didn't take 3 years of my life to complete it, very quick turns (even though I manage everything). I am really looking forward to the others.

I am really addicted in the way battles going on, how I control my kingdom. But it is really hard in the original version :( !!!

Taking a short read at ur posts, I may try to test my patience at this new version :P:P !!!

Hey, but anyone know where to upgrade to that version of "Mediaval Total war II" ???

Show me the link to upgrade :ph34r:

Thannkssss very much

My biggest enemy right now is England with their heavy infantry and guns.

They had 'guns' in medieval times? :huh: Funny, I don't recall skipping any history lessons at school.

Even when France (known then as 'Gaul') adopted the crossbow technology, we were still using long bows. Poitier. Agincourt. You name it, we were still using long bows. No such thing as 'heavy infantry' back then either. OK, so suits of armour were heavy, even were link-mail (chain mail) garments, but there weren't any 'heavy infantry.'

I see the devs have done adequate research into what it would have been like back in the 'semi-evil' times (medi as in medium/semi, it was the era after the 'dark ages' but still somewhat 'dark' times. The 'eval' suffix comes from the word 'evil', which is not the word we know it today, and it originally derives from of the Old Norse word 'yfel' meaning 'bad')

WytchTeacha (a phrase coined by CC) has struck again.

Edited by WytchDokta

Well they were heavy compared to the indians :P

And yes, for some reason they have muskets. But it's the late medieval so maybe it was possible.

Not really until late 14th century, which was after Medieval era. Things like seige cannons etc were invented some time later. Gunpowder was in existance a long time before muskets, but at such time we weren't entirely sure how to implment it into [infantry portable] weapons. The concept of a rifle was already there though, just look at the shape of a medieval crossbow - it has striking resemblences to like WW2 etc wooden body rifles in shape etc.

Edited by WytchDokta

Well they were heavy compared to the indians :P

And yes, for some reason they have muskets. But it's the late medieval so maybe it was possible.

Not really until late 14th century, which was after Medieval era. Things like seige cannons etc were invented some time later. Gunpowder was in existance a long time before muskets, but at such time we weren't entirely sure how to implment it into [infantry portable] weapons. The concept of a rifle was already there though, just look at the shape of a medieval crossbow - it has striking resemblences to like WW2 etc wooden body rifles in shape etc.

Not muskets, but they definitely had gunpowder weapons on an infantry level in medieval times. Right near the end, yeah, but it was still in the medieval period. Depending on who you ask, it ended any time between the 1450s and 1520s, and infantry was using gunpowder as early as 1410 in Europe.

I was thinking to get this game but I've heard some say it's 'turn based'. Is that true?

Yes, it's turn based. I suppose you've never played a Total War game before.

The battles are in real time though. When you play the campaign you make your moves on the strategic map were you manage your cities and move your armies. It's actually comfortable to have a turn based campaign. That way you can make you every move in peace and you don't have to worry about getting stressed when dealing with war on multiple fronts which can be frustrating for some players in games like Hearts of Iron which is in real time.

You need Medieval II Total War first though since Kingdoms is an expansion :P

Edited by Hockeystick

I was thinking to get this game but I've heard some say it's 'turn based'. Is that true?

The battles are in real time though. When you play the campaign you make your moves on the strategic map were you manage your cities and move your armies. It's actually comfortable to have a turn based campaign. That way you can make you every move in peace and you don't have to worry about getting stressed when dealing with war on multiple fronts which can be frustrating for some players in games like Hearts of Iron which is in real time.

OK thanks for the info. What about skirmish mode? Is there one, and it that also turn based? On RTS games, I never play campaign, I always go for skirmish.

Edited by WytchDokta

OK thanks for the info. What about skirmish mode? Is there one, and it that also turn based? On RTS games, I never play campaign, I always go for skirmish.

The thing about the campaign though is that you basicly have complete freedom. It's not storybased like in other games. You get missions from the pope (if you play as a catholic faction) and the nobles that you can choose to do or not. You expand your borders by taking other settlements, either through war or diplomacy (usually through war since the diplomacy-system isn't really the greatest feature of MIITW). You don't have to worry about cut-scenes, characters that must survive or scripted events. Everything is dynamic so I'm sure you'll find the campaign pretty enjoying if you give it a chance :)

If you get this game you should get it for the campaign game since custom battles (or skirmish) doesn't last very long.

EDIT: You should try the demo btw. The battles are scripted since they are historical battles. The battles are not scripted in custom games or in the campaign.

Fileshack

Edited by Hockeystick

• 5 months later...

I'm still considering getting this game. See, medieval history is an era that interests me, but I much prefer the game to be a bit more realistic if it's going to be medieval history. What I mean is, not 16 sword blows or 29 arrows to kill one soldier. I can do medieval fantasy history (trolls, goblins.... you get the picture), but I cannot do 16 sword blows etc to kill one soldiers. So what am I looking at here for this game?

Also, what mod support, if any, does this game have? Assuming it has mod support, what kind of mods are coming out for this game?

Edited by WytchDokta

It's more realistic than Age of Empires, that's for sure. You'll control armies up to 2-2500 men and they are divided into 20 units. Soldiers will die if they get hit, but they can take some hits depending on the situation.

Ex. Heavy cavalry will die in one hit by spearmen, but can sometimes take a few more hits from archers (since they wear heavy armor). It's quite realistic, but the AI is nothing to cheer about. But since you're new to the Total War games then maybe you don't mind that much.

You should try the demo. That will give you an idea of how the gameplay work and so on.

The are tons of mods for the previous Total War title, Rome Total War. One of the most famous mods is Rome Total Realism, which basically changes the whole game.

M2TW is based on the same engine as Rome and like Rome it has a map editor. There are mod tools and other stuff that you can find here.

Again, try the demo ;)

Any mods covering the Anglo-Saxon & Jute invasion of Britain? (which wasn't known as 'England' at that period in time - the word 'England' is from �nglisc, a dialiect of Old Norse, meaning 'land of the Angles' (the Angles were a tribe who allied with the Saxon and Jute tribes (with supporting tribes Franks and Wandals (we get the term 'vandal' from the name of this tribe, due to the fact is was they who stormed and quickly sacked Rome, causing [the Romans] to recall their troops from Britain and other Western European countries, thus paving the way for the Anglo-Saxon & Jute coalition invasion of Britain)) prior to invading Britain. Also, my roots are Ango-Saxon - my surname is an Old Norse (coincidently �nglisc dialect) word, albeit, the old French spelling of the word. So yeah, Anglo-Saxon & Jute history interests me greatly due to that reason.