Going yet again further for realism

So we all talk about realism. sometimes we talk in terms of weapons or their ballistics. the ability to move in a realsitic way or have an injury penalty. Recently i was taught a lesson right here on GR.Net about realism as pertains to prone shooting and why the clip of the weapon gets in the way on uneven ground and doesnt permit your aim to focus low.

Lighting and shadows are also very important in realism. I have taken down opponents before whose only disadvantage in the egagement was that I saw their shadow and they didn't see mine.

what I have NEVER seen is a FPS situation is where lighting flexes and vary's in real time becuase not only is the sun in a particular position, but the clouds above them are moving, there by bending the rays around the shadows. You know. Like a real sky does.

Interesting video. credit SimHQ for putting it on their web site.

I enjoy seeing how the different technologies can come on line and add a new dimension to what we love. This one looks like it is very nice indeed and I look forward to seeing it in our favorite genre one day. Not to mention flight sims.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Sleepdoc

Wow, neat!

Though I don't think such level of environmental simulation would be needed for an infantry based tac-shooter. It would be enough to move 2d clouds on the sky, and make them cast shadows on the ground. This looks more suitable for flight sims ... or rather, such thing should be a "must have" for flight sims in the future - clouds in there are really part of the environment after all!

Wow, neat!

Though I don't think such level of environmental simulation would be needed for an infantry based tac-shooter. It would be enough to move 2d clouds on the sky, and make them cast shadows on the ground. This looks more suitable for flight sims ... or rather, such thing should be a "must have" for flight sims in the future - clouds in there are really part of the environment after all!

As cores (hence CPU cycles) become more plentiful and companies compete for your interest, I see no reason why this cannot be part of our FPS worlds. My guess is it will be sooner rather than later.

I would love to look up and see 3D storms forming, as they take my sunny battle ground into a dark and omnious space in a matter of minutes....etc....

Its just a matter of time

well to add to your post doc, since GRAW2 offers sun movement hence going from evening to night on your map, why not add this tech so if it's a nice brilliant evening that a storm moves in while in mission?

neat technology. :thumbsup:

About this day/night cycle in GRAW2.

Since the campaign only covers 72h, does that mean you have a timelimit on every mission? Let say you just start a mission and leave the computer for 72h :rolleyes:

Is it gameover then or do you travel back in time between missions?

A time limit on each mission would solve that before it could ever happen. Michell was to slow so he got recalled and fired... :P

Hey, Wolfsong, you would know this:

Could clouds be modeled, then put into a map and given a path? Then, as they move across the sky, their shadows would move. Similar to a vehicle.

i.e. an object rather than some new code/technology.

Edited by Cangaroo[TNT]

' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:22 PM' post='457603']

Could clouds be modeled, then put into a map and given a path? Then, as they move across the sky, their shadows would move. Similar to a vehicle.

Of course you could to something like that.

You could have a simpler model that casts shadow as it wouldn't be very sharp from a cloud anyhow. The trick would most likely be to time it with the sky box effects, as I don't think real cloud effects would be a wise use of resources in a shooter.

' date='Mar 29 2007, 09:22 PM' post='457603']

Of course you could to something like that.

.............. as I don't think real cloud effects would be a wise use of resources in a shooter.

I recall a time when new type of semi textured rolling terrain was beyond the reach of a jet flight sim. I recall the first time i saw it. It pre dated GPUs. Can't recall the name of that game. it was a f-16 pilot / rpg type thing. Anyhow.....It dragged my early 486-33? to its knees. LOL It wasn't really a wise use of resources for that period. At that time, no one had anything much faster than me, so I can only assume that everyone who bought the game actually bought the same tech-demo slide-show that I bought. What a waste.

Years later, it was regular stuff. and ofcourse, detaield terrain makes sense in a flight sim. Are 512 textures really called for in a shooter though? whether or not they are a good use of resources today, they are here as an option for those of us that can handle them.

I see a sky/real clouds system in the same light. With todays puny little dual cores .... nope. Definitely not a good use of resources, as you stated.

With tomorrows 128 cores? What the hell. whats a core or 2 among friends. If you have got that measly 32 core, your out of luck. just like "High" texture settings on 256 Cards in GRAW. If the game detects 64 or more Cores, you get the clouds.

I'm gving it 4 years to tops. :thumbsup:

Edited by Sleepdoc

it was a f-16 pilot / rpg type thing.

Origin's "Strike Commander" maybe? There you're a mercenary pilot and travels to different conflicts and hang out in bars to get missions. It was quite fun but the most realistic in aerodynamics. I have that box in storage somewhere. :)

Just like "High" texture settings on 256 Cards in GRAW.

Yes, that requires 512Mb, which I why I find it funny that they only recommend 256Mb...

STALKER already implements such a lighting system that has shadows that move with the sun. On top of that, lightning casts completely random shadows and it's amazing to just sit back and watch.

That is, if you want the performance hit of the poorly coded HDR (Dynamic lighting mode has HDR in it).