GRAW @ 90FPS + X-Fi Sound

I gotta say GRiN,

We all know how GRAW 1 was released. No need to rehash the past. 1.35 (and the base engine for GRAW2) is one of the most amazing, beautiful and visceral tactical shooters I have personally ever played.

At the time it came out, i was running an AMD 3700+ with a 6800 card and a Audigy2 sound card that used to lock me up all the time.

I had no idea what I was missing.

Now I have version 1.35 for multiplayer, a Core 2 Duo, an 8800 card, 2 gigs and a X-Fi card. Not to mention my force feedback, vibrating head phones.

Whats my point?

My point is that I HAD NO IDEA how good the game was until you fixed most of it AND i go the hardware to push it/hear it/feel it. (PLEASE FIX PRONE SHOOTING... IT WAS NEVER RIGHT.... HUMAN BODIES CAN BEND ON SLIGHT INCLINES YOU KNOW).

I NEVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED how the hardware upgrade could have made this game jump to life as much as it did. This time, although I imagine you have enhanced your engine, it is likely more incremental than quantum in movement. And this is a GOOD GOOD THING. Your engine will only move forward an incremement, but your features, your AI and just as importantly, YOUR CUSTOMER'S HARDWARE BASE, will have moved forward a lot. This will be a huge factor in how this next installment is received.

Not everyone mind you. keeping up with the PC "top of the line" stuff is expensive. But the base has grown out there. I believe guys like me with the hardware are in for a real treat.

The high resolution of your 3 dimensional sound in my 2D headphones is the best I have ever heard. In any game. Ever. Peroid. And that X-Fi card let me see just how good that work was. You proved the value of great sound in a game. Keep that coming please in GRAW2. Alot more people will have the hardware to appreciate it this time.

GRAW at 90 FPS with 512 textures still drops my Jaw. And when i get shot, and my force feedback headphones vibrate sharply, my heart still jumps out of my chest.

Too bad about the demographic moving on past GRAW MP. Its a great nightly game of mine. Their loss. I'm addicted adn I want more. More [GR] coop. MORE MORE mission coop please. TDM has me fixed at my keyboard for hours .... walking slowly and quietly from edge to edge ..... trying to stay off teh grass ....... eye to viewer .... listening for every littel sound ... trying to cover my sectors. And best maps around. truly great maps all around. Open 'em up a bit more and they will just be beyond reproach. but I disagree with those who say they are so linear. I can always find a few flanking approaches and double backs. But open em up a bit more and give us easier tools to make customs maps and this thing could explode.

Hopefully, GRAW 2 will be more content complete this time and more polished. and the servers will start full and stay full.

Can't wait boys. I will Beta test my butt off if I get lucky enough to have my application approved.

Edited by Sleepdoc

I gotta say GRiN,

We all know how GRAW 1 was released. No need to rehash the past. 1.35 (and the base engine for GRAW2) is one of the most amazing, beautiful and visceral tactical shooters I have personally ever played.

At the time it came out, i was running an AMD 3700+ with a 6800 card and a Audigy2 sound card that used to lock me up all the time.

I had no idea what I was missing.

Now I have version 1.35 for multiplayer, a Core 2 Duo, an 8800 card, 2 gigs and a X-Fi card. Not to mention my force feedback, vibrating head phones.

Whats my point?

My point is that I HAD NO IDEA how good the game was until you fixed most of it AND i go the hardware to push it/hear it/feel it. (PLEASE FIX PRONE SHOOTING... IT WAS NEVER RIGHT.... HUMAN BODIES CAN BEND ON SLIGHT INCLINES YOU KNOW).

I NEVER COULD HAVE IMAGINED how the hardware upgrade could have made this game jump to life as much as it did. This time, although I imagine you have enhanced your engine, it is likely more incremental than quantum in movement. And this is a GOOD GOOD THING. Your engine will only move forward an incremement, but your features, your AI and just as importantly, YOUR CUSTOMER'S HARDWARE BASE, will have moved forward a lot. This will be a huge factor in how this next installment is received.

Not everyone mind you. keeping up with the PC "top of the line" stuff is expensive. But the base has grown out there. I believe guys like me with the hardware are in for a real treat.

The high resolution of your 3 dimensional sound in my 2D headphones is the best I have ever heard. In any game. Ever. Peroid. And that X-Fi card let me see just how good that work was. You proved the value of great sound in a game. Keep that coming please in GRAW2. Alot more people will have the hardware to appreciate it this time.

GRAW at 90 FPS with 512 textures still drops my Jaw. And when i get shot, and my force feedback headphones vibrate sharply, my heart still jumps out of my chest.

Too bad about the demographic moving on past GRAW MP. Its a great nightly game of mine. Their loss. I'm addicted adn I want more. More [GR] coop. MORE MORE mission coop please. TDM has me fixed at my keyboard for hours .... walking slowly and quietly from edge to edge ..... trying to stay off teh grass ....... eye to viewer .... listening for every littel sound ... trying to cover my sectors. And best maps around. truly great maps all around. Open 'em up a bit more and they will just be beyond reproach. but I disagree with those who say they are so linear. I can always find a few flanking approaches and double backs. But open em up a bit more and give us easier tools to make customs maps and this thing could explode.

Hopefully, GRAW 2 will be more content complete this time and more polished. and the servers will start full and stay full.

Can't wait boys. I will Beta test my butt off if I get lucky enough to have my application approved.

I couldn't agree more. When I upgraded to a Core2 duo 6600, Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer, 7950 GT OC 512 x 2 (SLI) it was a whole new game. Best sound around in an FPS, explosions and fire are amazing. I love the distortion created from the heat coming off of a fire. Real nice detail...realistic look to it. Never have seen that in a game before. Even the gun sounds are great. I run evrything on High full res...beautiful game. The one thing that gets me is the post effects. I run those on medium, because the haze that I get from it seems to be a bit distracting on MP. Especially when I turn on NV. I'll shoot at someone, but the mist from the gun makes it impossible to see where I am shooting. This is with or without a silencer. When I turn down the Post Effects to medium it cuts that mist down considerably. I would love to play with post effects jacked up, and can, but I choose not to for the sake of rather staying alive. It makes the game look even better, but I feel at a disadvantage with the haze post effects creates. It does however add some nice colors and environmental feel that is missing when the post effects are turned down. If there is some way to balance that out it would be nice. Not to mention that a majority of the community can't even play it that way. Increase the draw distance, and decrease the haze in post effects, and we are rocking. I still play every night, and can't believe how re-addicted I became after the upgrade. It was like a brand new game.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

I couldn't agree more. When I upgraded to a Core2 duo 6600, Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer, 7950 GT OC 512 x 2 (SLI) it was a whole new game.

Pretty much the same for me. You setup is almost identical to mine cept I only have one gfx card. On my old system, the game was not very playable and looked pretty bad. I could still tell a lot of the good things they had done with it, so I put off playing it till I got my new system. What a difference. It went from looking and playing like a very below average shooter to something pretty amazing and detailed.

Indeed. It was and is like and entirely new game.

Here is another amazing sound touch that Desmond/Simon put in the game. but i only recognized it when my hardware could handle it.

I think it happened on one of the Gobo custom maps. I was so amazed, i told my friend to stop playing an listen. ......

My [GR] coop buddy was firing far to my right. I could hear his distinct and loud gun fire pops sharply in my right ear. Much to my amazement, I also heard his delayed and reflected gun pops (echos) in my left ear .... blunted and reduced a few octives, as it bounced off the large concrete overpass to my left. A true reproduction of pop sounds echoiing off concrete. Even the "speed of sound delay" seemed about exactly right.

I still don't understand why i can tell almost exactly where a noise is coming from in 3D from a simple 2D pair of headphones. but i can in this game. and with great precision. It's so good on my system that I now try very hard to move slowly and make little sound as i walk on the pavements and stay off the grass. If I hear you shuffle your feet or load your gun any where near me while im moving slow and listening, chances are good that you are going to be dead a moment later. Cuz i know EXACTLY where you are and you don't even know im coming.

Edited by Sleepdoc

Yeah the sound in GRAW is amazing. Probably the best I have ever heard in a game. I love how any noise you or your enemy makes gives your position away (as it should be). Desmond/Simon let Bo know you should get a raise. :)

I would of thought Dezz22 worked with a small team, as it's a large task for one

man, but either way, the sound field, definition and samples in GRAW 1 is one of it's

saving graces and it makes a big portion of the game play.

So an extra Skol :cheers: to the Sound team @ Grin.se

viii

I have AMD 3200+ with a 6800GT and an Audigy 2 NX. I don't get any lockups, but there's some slowdown when I try to rocket the tank from the car park.

Would you recommend updating my sound card or my graphics card next? I'm not going to go mad on upgrades like I did for GR2 and GRAW. I've been looking at getting the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 Soundcard - Retail from OCuk, it's just under £60. The guy who I bought my computer off said he could sell me a 7XXX series card but i'd hardly notice the difference if i've got a 6800GT.

Any ideas? Obviously it depends on how much i'm willing to spend, which isn't going to be much just in case i get disappointed again.

I have AMD 3200+ with a 6800GT and an Audigy 2 NX. I don't get any lockups, but there's some slowdown when I try to rocket the tank from the car park.

Would you recommend updating my sound card or my graphics card next? I'm not going to go mad on upgrades like I did for GR2 and GRAW. I've been looking at getting the Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer 7.1 Soundcard - Retail from OCuk, it's just under £60. The guy who I bought my computer off said he could sell me a 7XXX series card but i'd hardly notice the difference if i've got a 6800GT.

Any ideas? Obviously it depends on how much i'm willing to spend, which isn't going to be much just in case i get disappointed again.

Defintely graphics card. 6800 line is 2 gens back now(summer 2004). As for sound, I guess the xfi is better then my onboard nvidia2 nforce I use to have - I don't know if it has any effect on fps though. The only reason I got it when I put my system specs together for falcon is that I wanted to be more compatible. A lot of games woulnd't like hardware accel with my onboard sound and all seemed to only support true eax or eax2 or 3 or 4 or whatever the h3ll they call it now, so I had to go software to get acceptable(no muffled) sound levesls.

Heh, I remember back when I had my 6600 GT rig, I called GRIN poor optimizers.

Was I in for a treat when I got my 7900 GT KO.

wow. its nice to see people who are self aware and honest enough to realize when they were wrong.

Can't drink molasses through a swissle stick. need a bigger pipe. i dont think it was ever about optimization. I think they just wrote a next gen engine a bit too early for the dominant crowd.

Defintely graphics card. 6800 line is 2 gens back now(summer 2004). As for sound, I guess the xfi is better then my onboard nvidia2 nforce I use to have - I don't know if it has any effect on fps though. The only reason I got it when I put my system specs together for falcon is that I wanted to be more compatible. A lot of games woulnd't like hardware accel with my onboard sound and all seemed to only support true eax or eax2 or 3 or 4 or whatever the h3ll they call it now, so I had to go software to get acceptable(no muffled) sound levesls.

Thanks for the reply,

at ocuk there are people saying that the BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC 320MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail is good and its "cheap". Is £205 cheap for this card?

Is that around $400 USD? If so, that's a little pricey for that card considering the 640MB version is around the same price, maybe $30 more or so.

Yeah, i just checked on xe.com it works out just over $400. Maybe by the time the game comes out this price will have dropped.

Sleepdoc, you found out what many of us found out when GR was released. If you were using onboard sound previously, you just found out that CPU cycles were freed up by getting and installing an add-in sound card. This is similar to not using onboard video, you get a major improvement in game preformance.

Heh, I remember back when I had my 6600 GT rig, I called GRIN poor optimizers.

Was I in for a treat when I got my 7900 GT KO.

wow. its nice to see people who are self aware and honest enough to realize when they were wrong.

Can't drink molasses through a swissle stick. need a bigger pipe. i dont think it was ever about optimization. I think they just wrote a next gen engine a bit too early for the dominant crowd.

I read your post and had to comment. while I'm glad folks are enjoying GRAW, what I just noticed that people have upgraded to NEW, After GRAW released, bought late last year or early this year just to enjoy GRAW. So seems to me that the system specs were off a bit eh? I'm using an ATI x1800GTO still and it plays great. but I've missed the 1900,1950 series and the 2900 series will be released next. This hardware stuff is out of control. I also hear folks having issues with the 8800 Nvidia cards, a driver thing I think it is, but what's the sense of having the card with all the problems?

But for me, I've noticed lag issues. But when servers allow for folks with high pings, 180-300+, that's when the game bites. >_< I can't tell you how hard it is to enjoy the game when pings are so high.

I'm glad some of you have found bliss, but since i couldn't afford an upgrade this year and I'll have to wait til next year, But hopefully the reworked game engine will allow some of us to play GRAW2 reasonably.

Thanks Sleepdoc and everyone else for the commendation - it's very much appreciated. I've said it before and I say it again: Sound is so very neglected in games. Screenshots are of course the first media that is released for an upcoming game, and from that point onwards it seems graphics is pretty much all that the game's about, what's everybody's interested in and measuring the game by.

Being a tactical shooter with lots of emphasis on scanning your environment, I felt GRAW was the right game to put a lot of work into the sound not only quality-wise but also in terms of how the sounds are handled by the engine. You can only go so far to make a recording of a grenade sound like a real grenade - then when you've reached that quality limit, you have to expand on the handling of that recording in the game, by the engine, to increase the quality of the sound design.

The echoes are one example. It's the kind of thing you don't find in any other game, and took me a lot of work to create - I'm surprised it actually took so long (ten months since release) before someone commented on the fact that all weapon fire actually produce their own individual echo sound. Great to hear that when someone actually did notice, it became a real "wow, stop and stand in awe"-moment. That's really inspiring for me, to hear those kinds of stories - so thanks once again, Sleepdoc.

I'd pass the commendation on to the audio team if there was one. The truth is it's only me and a programmer who developed the engine features needed for the sound.

I wonder oh I wonder why other games in their credits list so many members in their audio teams. What are they all for? I was one single guy working on the sound on GRAW, a 14 month project, and if I may say so myself I created quite and impressive audio profile for that game. I guess in other game studios, they all take 19 minute coffee breaks every twenty minutes..?

Thanks Sleepdoc and everyone else for the commendation - it's very much appreciated. I've said it before and I say it again: Sound is so very neglected in games. Screenshots are of course the first media that is released for an upcoming game, and from that point onwards it seems graphics is pretty much all that the game's about.

Being a tactical shooter with lots of emphasis on scanning your environment, I felt GRAW was the right game to put a lot of work into the sound not only quality-wise but also in terms of how the sounds are handled by the engine. There is only so far you can go to make a recording of a grenade sound like a real grenade - then when you've reached that quality limit, you have to expand on the handling of that recording in the game, by the engine, to increase the quality of the sound design.

The echoes are one example. It's the kind of thing you don't find in any other game, and took me a lot of work to create - I'm surprised it actually took so long (ten months since release) before someone commented on the fact that all weapon fire actually produce their own individual echo sound. Great to hear that when someone actually did notice, it became a real "wow, stop and stand in awe"-moment. That's really inspiring for me, to hear those kinds of stories - so thanks once again, Sleepdoc.

Your Welcome. Credit where credit is due.

Please keep it going. As I said in my earlier post, i think a lot more people will have the hardware now to appreciate the depths and details of the sound fields you have created in the next round (as x-fi cards are falling below 100 dollars and keep falling). I'm glad you are inspired to excel. hopefully, the whole GRAW team is. You giys are on the verge of a true masterpeice in GRAW1. If you guys have been listening closely to the crowd (and all evidence from teh summer of patches is that you guys *DO* listen), GRAW2 Pc could explode for PC gamers and become a true classic and blockbuster seller.

And yes. I stopped in Awe to hear the echos. I was dumbfounded by them. Usually, though, I'm to busy running for cover.

:)

But remember. Just Becuase people don't stop in awe or even realize it is happening, they know something is making the experience unque and deep and addictive. Its like when someone walks into a well designed interior of a home. some people see the individual details. Other people just know they are in a beautiful space but dont really know why they sense this. This is becuase becuase detail isn't their thing. But they know how the home makes them feel.

Edited by Sleepdoc