a Closed MP Beta test confirmed for GRAW 2

*Crosses fingers* I really hope I make the beta. That'd be another one two add to my resume of game testing (LOTRO Beta 3, GRAW Patch 1.3, STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl MP, Phylon).

Why are you trying to grow your resume with game testing? Is it your intention to break into the Video Game Quality Assurance and testing field?

You sound vaguely cynical.

Might as well. Most people in the game industry start out in QA then work their way up.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my theory on it. (for the running when shooting and not raising gun comment) The peep has a pc moving faster then the gameplay can animate. I seem to see this more against players with higher end pc's. (been asking them) Due to there higher video cards, i think they are able to raise the gun before it's translated to the server... only ms but still happens. This leads them to look like they are running when they have already stopped, shot and continued.

Papa... he was talking about not killing, not "not seeing the gun come up"

IF 2 peeps fire at each other at the same exact time with the same caliber they cancel each other out and whoever gets loaded and fires 1st again gets the kill. The only way to trade a kill in GRAW is with GL or hand nades.

Papa

Mmmmm... I'm pretty sure you can kill eachother w bullitweapons, but it has to be in the same frame... which is hard to achieve.

-GG

Not to disagree but in all the online play that I have experienced in GRAW, I have never seen a bullet death trade off. Do you guys test it on LAN or WAN at GRIN? Maybe it happens in the LAN scenario? Or is there some other reason that may cut down on lag between computers. Do the ones testing the game have a wide range of different specs among the gaming machines or are they all basically the same? Just a thought.

Edited by Cell*AFZ*

Mmmmm... I'm pretty sure you can kill eachother w bullitweapons, but it has to be in the same frame... which is hard to achieve.

-GG

Thanks GeckoGore for input

I've play GRAW MP t vs t(not LAN) nearly every evening since release, and it has never happened that there is a "trade" (mutual kill) by regular gunfire.

It very frequently happens though that the player dieing feels "ripped" because he/she knows he/she fired a good burst in the opponent at the duel, and it sort of feels like:

The last rounds fired/hits seen on the clients screen (possibly made in the lag period after server registered the player as dead?) never gets counted as hits. Is this possible?

Anyhow, whatever it is, it is unfortunate because it reduces the fun somewhat. Trades should be possible.

I would have hoped the issue could be corrected in GRAW 2 so "trades" by bullet fire happen more frequently. It would avoid a lot of frustration and cheat accusations still going on on the servers.

-GG

I've play GRAW MP t vs t(not LAN) nearly every evening since release, and it has never happened that there is a "trade" (mutual kill) by regular gunfire.

It very frequently happens though that the player dieing feels "ripped" because he/she knows he/she fired a good burst in the opponent at the duel, and it sort of feels like:

The last rounds fired/hits seen on the clients screen (possibly made in the lag period after server registered the player as dead?) never gets counted as hits. Is this possible?

Anyhow, whatever it is, it is unfortunate because it reduces the fun somewhat. Trades should be possible.

I would have hoped the issue could be corrected in GRAW 2 so "trades" by bullet fire happen more frequently. It would avoid a lot of frustration and cheat accusations still going on on the servers.

I guess you might be correct... i was looking at GRAW2, and there 2 players can kill eachother in the same frame. It has a bit different netcode.

-GG

-GG

I guess you might be correct... i was looking at GRAW2, and there 2 players can kill eachother in the same frame. It has a bit different netcode.

-GG

Awesome! the netcode was a really knackers IMHO.

-GG

-GG

Woot!!! now that is what i want to hear.... PC GRAW 2 INFO... Gunshots trade possible now.

Yeah in GRAW1 I have never seen it happen. Ty!

Hopefully that will include direct ip and non internal gamebrowser direct ip improvements.

-GG

-GG

Nice :thumbsup:

Another + for GRAWII :grin1:

*Crosses fingers* I really hope I make the beta. That'd be another one two add to my resume of game testing (LOTRO Beta 3, GRAW Patch 1.3, STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl MP, Phylon).

Why are you trying to grow your resume with game testing? Is it your intention to break into the Video Game Quality Assurance and testing field?

You sound vaguely cynical.

Might as well. Most people in the game industry start out in QA then work their way up.

No Sir. I wasn't being cynical at all. On the contrary. I was asking you a direct and honest question out of genuine interest in your comment. Re-read my post to you and find where cynicism is implied? It isn't.

Why did I ask you that question in the first place? Becuase I am heavily involved on the QA side of the Video game industry and was going to offer you some information and possibly assistance. I will begin here with a lesson I had not planned on sharing with you .... but what the heck!

Lesson #1.

Always be a gentleman and never assume negitavely about people. Give people the benefit of the doubt unless they clearly don't deserve it. Their intentions might just be positive. and anyway, it could be perceived as rude. And after all, you never know who you are talking with. My mom taught me that. She's a real smart woman.

:rocky:

All the Best,

Sleepdoc

Edited by Sleepdoc

-GG

-GG

I really appreciate the input so far and I don't really expect any further clarifications, although I surely wouldn't mind so :)

The concerns that limits my enthusiasm somewhat are:

What exactly does "in the same frame...which is hard to achieve" mean?

and

Will the netcode "better" adjust for the lag time between clients and server? i.e., so that actually most or all rounds that a player fires before he dies count.

Or will the issue in practise remain as in GRAW? i.e., you fire rounds in the lag time (right before your death animation is triggered) that "seemingly" cancels/doesn't register by the server, thus never hits the opponent.

Remember, doing , hearing, and seeing something that doesn't register with the server is frustrating in a game, and most games are over Internet where lag is always a factor ... I don't know how it is in GRAW but imo the netcode should be optimized for Intenet play with pings of 50-150, not for LAN play.

When I'm at it, in a related field: when you die with a frag grenade in the hand, shot after the throw has begun, but before release. The grenade should still explode (as the sprint is pulled), but in GRAW it doesn't. This is unfortunate as it has important gameplay implications of when and how you throw grenades (eg if corrected you may risk substantial teamkills or you may actually be lucky to catch the guy shooting you if he/she was up close).

Had a thought. I beta tested the last patches and joined the Ubi servers all the time they were up. It was very rare to see more than 5 or 6 others in there too. Can`t the beta be made server-sided? You would need to join the set up servers to be take part?

:huh:

Tinker

Always be a gentleman and never assume negitavely about people. Give people the benefit of the doubt unless they clearly don't deserve it. Their intentions might just be positive. and anyway, it could be perceived as rude. And after all, you never know who you are talking with. My mom taught me that. She's a real smart woman.

Now that sounded somewhat... arrogant as well :lol: but forget I said that.

I got to meet Darius Kazemi (he's a graduate of my high school and came to talk to us), and he got me more interested in the game industry.

I hope to become a lead designer (or at least the weapons designer) with my 1337 creative skillz someday.

Anyways, when do you think we'll get our responses back?

Now that sounded somewhat... arrogant as well :lol: but forget I said that.

I got to meet Darius Kazemi (he's a graduate of my high school and came to talk to us), and he got me more interested in the game industry.

I hope to become a lead designer (or at least the weapons designer) with my 1337 creative skillz someday.

Anyways, when do you think we'll get our responses back?

When you get them man really. If you haven't gotten one back on the 11th, then you know the deal.

For the last couple of days i've been trying to reply to my invitation email and all i get is somethign saying that my account is now closed. I don't get to fill in a questionaire, i just get directed to something called vovici, or something like that.

I've emailed the person on that site and i've replyed to the original invitation, but havn't heard anything. The closing date is today (2 hrs from now, i'm GMT). What was the point in having a closing date on easter day?

:wall:

I didnt see the email until friday/saturday and it was only sent on thursday. Oh well. :unsure: