Could we have perifeal vision this time

Well, in GRAW when you run around it feels like you are zoomed in and don´t see ###### to the sides. Could we have some split vision this time, because I am plenty shure that I can see more than like 80 degrees in front of me.

Edited by semjonov

I'm not completely sure what you're talking about.

Well, go and get a nice paper bag or something, then remove the bottom, place the bag on your head. Now you got the GRAW 1 feeling.

It feels like you are zoomed in all the time in the game.

Well, go and get a nice paper bag or something, then remove the bottom, place the bag on your head. Now you got the GRAW 1 feeling.

Well, in GRAW when you run around it feels like you are zoomed in and don´t see ###### to the sides. Could we have some split vision this time, because I am plenty shure that I can see more than like 80 degrees in front of me.

Try using a widescreen monitor. ;)

roflmao, I am sjitting my pants here! hahaha :rofl::lol::D

:stupid:

It helps in every game that supports widescreen.

120 degrees in 16:9 widescreen mode (normal 90)

Has GRAW been shown conclusively to increase its angular field of view as you move from, let's say, 1024x768 (4:3) to my monitors resolution of 1440x900 (16:10)????

In some games, wide screen monitors (and doing the right tweaks when called for to get full use of the widescreen's resolution) actually **DO** increase the angular field of view. An example of this would be R6-VEGAS.

Other games ** DO NOT ** actually increase their angular feild of view when wide sceen is applied. they simply manuever their fixed FOV into the new resolution.

Which does GRAW do?

As a relevant aside, graphics engines that reward widescreen players with greater angular fields of view give them a distinct advantage in multiplayer. And although I am a benefactor of this advantage in games such as Vegas, I am honest enough to recognize that this, to some extent, represents a real "cheat" for me over my competition. Lucky for them I'm old and slow and basically suck as a player. But all things equal, widescreen FOV-enhanced games (graphics engines actually) give an unfair advantge to the Widescreen player.

Edited by Sleepdoc

As a relevant aside, graphics engines that reward widescreen players with greater angular fields of view give them a distinct advantage in multiplayer. And although I am a benefactor of this advantage in games such as Vegas, I am honest enough to recognize that this, to some extent, represents a real "cheat" for me over my competition. Lucky for them I'm old and slow and basically suck as a player. But all things equal, widescreen FOV-enhanced games (graphics engines actually) give an unfair advantge to the Widescreen player.

And non FOV-enhanced games give would give an unfair advantage to the non-widescreen players in games using vertical gameplay (different levels). So I think that goes to the player to adapt to the games they want to play.

Besides that point, widescreen is after all the future of monitors just like normal TV set. So those feeling the people who has advanced to the next step in evolution is cheating should maybe do the same.

EDIT: I have yet to upgrade to widescreen myself, but I will shortly to get more space for tools in Maya. :)

Edited by Wolfsong

I understand what you are talking about. I agree that there is a slightly zoomed in view compared with GR for example.

Don't you all sometimes get disoriented in the indoor stairs in GRAW? (because you have a hard time seeing where you are running)

Don't think it's a big thing though, you'll get used to it...and as others have said, WS gaming is future and increased FOV is great for games. I'm running a 24" WS myself

I bought a widescreen monitor and reinstalled GRAW and it still felt like I was zoomed in. I've uninstalled it now, but maybe i wasnt using the right resolution.

I bought a widescreen monitor and reinstalled GRAW and it still felt like I was zoomed in. I've uninstalled it now, but maybe i wasnt using the right resolution.

I actually don't know if it helps in GRAW. Haven't said that I did.

I just suggested using a widescreen monitor as it would be the logical way to solve it in many games. :)

Edited by Wolfsong

Actually, I've wondered when or if games have tried a form of periferal vision, and not just for a widescreen monitor either. I'm talking about something more simulated, like, the edge of the screen is blurred on either side yet you can get the impression of something there when a person approaches. It would have to be something subtle, not clearly defined and not instrusive to the gameplay or main screen either.

Actually, I've wondered when or if games have tried a form of periferal vision, and not just for a widescreen monitor either. I'm talking about something more simulated, like, the edge of the screen is blurred on either side yet you can get the impression of something there when a person approaches. It would have to be something subtle, not clearly defined and not instrusive to the gameplay or main screen either.

That would be nice.

That would be nice.

Actually, GRAWs sound is SOOOO 3D and SOOOO good (using my headphones and a new xfi card), that i can actually hear peoples 3D locations with incredible accuracy which are outside my vision field. Best localizable 3D sound i have personally ever heard in a game. Bar none.

Has GRAW been shown conclusively to increase its angular field of view as you move from, let's say, 1024x768 (4:3) to my monitors resolution of 1440x900 (16:10)????

Two of the above posters have said "yes, widescreen monitors increase your field of view"

Check the following link for pictures.....the 5th post down has pictures I posted of different FOVs.

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php...p;hl=widescreen

Well, I am not shure everone is talking about the same thing.

Just got to say that I got a LG204WT widescreen monitor and the feeling when playing GRAW is that you really feel zoomed all the time. It is like you are wearing blinders to the sides like race horses have to not be to distracted by other horses. In this case you wear it to not be distracted by things on the sides for example enemy soldires, and as someone mentuoned even going up stairs just feels weird.

Well, I am not shure everone is talking about the same thing.

I can't speak for everyone, but a lot of the old timers around here like Nutlink etc know exactly what we are talking about.

But just for the record.....

Peripheral vision is also called Field of View. It occurs in 2 dimensions. horizonatally and vertically. It is measured in Angular degrees. I believe a real Human can see something approaching $160 degrees,although what he seees in the extreme periphery is not nearly as detailed as what he sees in his middle 120 degrees or so.

when we have these discussions on forums (and we have them often) we tend to focus on Horizontal anglualr FOV, however the vertical is just as important to discuss. especially in a game such as this where snipers lie in wait on balconies and roof tops.

the so called "zoomed in feel" is nothing more than a recognition that the angular field of view seems low. 60 degrees in a game is low. 75 to 80 degrees is more the norm and "feels" better. 90 degrees or more is considered nice in a game. Soem games have features to give the player wider control of their field of view. One example that comes to mind in IL-2 sturmovik (a flight ism for those who dont know). It has an option to allow the user to increase or decrease tehir FOV in 5 degree increments, however i do not think you can get IL-2 to exceed 90 degrees.

Another game that has an unexpected nice ability to increase FOV is R6VEGAS. using a widescreen tweak, you can increase your FOV to almost rediculous levels. People with 3 monitors side by side have generated FOVs of super human amounts. My 1440x900 has increased my FOV over the standard 4:3 settings of what appears to be an additional 20 degrees or so (Just guessing based on my qiuck and dirty tests)

So thats it. I think most of know what we are talking about here.

And its a vital subject in all games. And yes. I get lost in stiarwells sometimes due to the unusually low horizontal FOV in GRAW.