3D Benchmarks? Scores?

Ruin

Can some one explain this to me pleaase.

I see lots of people talkinga bout how their computer performs on 3D Becnhmark tests etc etc.

And I see numbers of 14,000 or 20,000... and I can't figure out how it works, what the signifigance is and how to rate mine.

Last I checked, scores were given over 100... :(

It depends what they are using to benchmark with, there are 2 or 3 tools that are popular, but not one accepted "standard". Card maunfacturers even argue about it.

3DMark is the most popular, but I am not the best person to ask, I have only basic experience of these things.

I think there are 3 versions currently banging about. I think the latest version is using a lower score for a reason complelty unknown to me (version 2003 iirc). The test is really a way to compare the 3d 'ness of a computer, by running exactly the same thing on all the different computers. The "better" it runs, the higher the mark, which you probably knew already.

Check out madonion.com for more details.

(And to brag like a kid with a new toy, my new one has a benchmark of 14,000 :P .)

ruin 3dmark 03 is a dx9 benchmark not many ppl ive ehard of got much over 1400 i myself benched 1200 somthing last time and some of the tests were little more than screen shows.

dl mad onion 2000 or 2001 run those for a more realistic test of your system , also go to www.pcpitstop.com and run their free complete system test tho this isnt a gaming test its takes a very short time and give you a more comprehensive system health and fitness benchmark with plenty of tips and fixes to tweak a system easily, hope this helps

With PCPitStop my score was 1212 with:

System: AMD Athlon, 2004MHz

Memory: 768MB RAM

Disk Drives: C, D

Video: RADEON 9700/9500 SERIES

Internet: MSIE 6.0

Windows: Windows XP SP1

This is a fast system that should meet all your computing needs.

Pretty cool. :)

My first score(no OC'ing) was 1348 3D Marks...

DX9.0a

NVIDIA Driver 41.09

1024x768x32

Then I OC'ed my video card a bit, and received 1441 3DMarks. It's a tough benchmark, but mark my words: In about one year, new 'puters will start receiving benchmark scores nearer to 5000-6000.

I can nail 5000 about on 3DMARK 2k1, but on 2k3 my system always has one problem or another. First it loves to completly shutdown and restart the computer, another time it wouldn't run cause of my gfx card's low or maybe it was too high IRQ number. And then most recently when I installed and ran it all it did was show a purple screen for about 3 minutes then reboot. I have no idea why it seems to be such a pain in the ###### Ill just stick with 2K1 its better anyways.

i dont clock anything never seen the point in risking hardware

I agree...

There's really no point in having to break down and buy a new CPU to get the extra couple hundred of MHz

If you know what you're doing that almost never happens. Out of all the people that OC that I know, none of them have ever fried a cpu. Its very rare.

I will agree with not risking hardware, however, I am only OC'ing my video card right now. I will not risk the FSB or CPU increase, at least not yet.

I am also a conservative OC'er. I only upped the core/memory speed 4MHz at a time, as well as run Artifact Tester 5.0, and 3DMark'01.

I found this very interesting, I have XP Pro and 2003 Server on dual boot. They have most all same software and Hardware is the same on the tests the XP Pro system (tuned forgaming) got 1072. But on the 2K3 Server the system got 1172. And I had Longhorn a bit ago and tested it and got a 1297. What the heck? Seems odd to me, as the OS gets newer (though all very new OS's)the Scores gets higher. This was on PCPITSTOP.

Edited by Stinger

i just tested my rig and got 1673 on 3DMark03 the specs are:

AMD XP 2100+ @ 1.733ghz

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600

ASUS A7V333 Mother board

2x 256mb PC2700 DDRAM

56k modem

IBM 40gb HDD

19" Iiyama vision master 1451

52x cdrom

1.4mb fdd

IEEE card

10/100 Ethernet card

XP Home

Dx9.0a

Stinger......Don't know if you had time to read some of the little snippets of info there along with the scores etc, but one that just caught the corner of my eye more by accident than looking at it was they claimed that the FAT32 system runs drives a heck of a lot faster than NTFS.

Thus newer OS's may seem slower if you have gone from FAT32 to NTFS blah blah!!

My 40 gig Maxtor which ultimately isn't as good as the 120 gb still scored higher and the speed differences were actually damn frustrating as you say. The 40 gig is still formatted in FAT32 after I just bunged it in this sytem from the old one lol!! They also said just cos you may score slightly less with that happening don't immediately reformat using FAT32 lol, keep it with NTFS if thats what it's at (just in case you were about to rofl) :)!

Just seems that there can be many little things that can make very small differences here and there from that one example and ultimately it's going to influence the final outcome or scores rofl!!

Good huh lol?????? NNOOOTTT!!!

Edited by Urban_Tiger

Yeah I think its stupid though. FAT and its variants are archaic. Both partitions are NTFS which is much better but my External HDD is on FAT32 since it can't be formatted into NTFS. Oh and those scores in my last post were on PCPITSTOP not 3D MARK.

Edited by Stinger