Buying older games?

Pej

I know this is a weird question but.... I was thinking of buying some older GOLD/GOTY packages, in most cases just to have them in my collection. Ghost Recon Gold, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield Gold, Operation Flashpoint GOTY, maybe SWAT 3, etc. I was curious though, I've found that you can still buy most of these brand new off of eBay but I haven't found any larger stores that carry them. Are the ones on eBay counterfeit? If not, where do they come from? Old overstock? If not do you know any stores that currently sell any of the above? Thanks.

I know this is a weird question but.... I was thinking of buying some older GOLD/GOTY packages, in most cases just to have them in my collection. Ghost Recon Gold, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield Gold, Operation Flashpoint GOTY, maybe SWAT 3, etc. I was curious though, I've found that you can still buy most of these brand new off of eBay but I haven't found any larger stores that carry them. Are the ones on eBay counterfeit? If not, where do they come from? Old overstock? If not do you know any stores that currently sell any of the above? Thanks.

For some reason, the store "Future Shop" in canada has dozens of Ghost Recon gold addition on the shelves in every location , and quite a few RV golds as well. At a steal at 19.99

Over here a lot of places that sell games have a lot of popular games for between $9.00 - $20.00. They aren't in the original packaging, just a DVD style case but they are official/legal releases.

The stores with the biggest range of these games is EB Games, JB Hi-Fi & Dick Smith Electronics. They have the complete GR ([GR], DS & IT) for $9.00!!! Silent Hunter III for $20.00.

That said, a lot of the games are a bit lame, but it's worth searching through the pile ;)

Before I made my original post one of the few things I specifically intended to mention was that I'm in the US... doh! :) I get the impression that most of the brand new gold editions floating around right now are European...

For instance, here's one of the RVS covers from eBay: (hotlinked!) http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/89/c4/f288_1.JPG

And another:

http://www.shockingprice.com/ebay/pic/TomC...oxSix3Raven.jpg

Both look like possibly UK boxes to me, though I only have one or two import PC games.

And ditto with GR:

http://www.catlink.info/prodimages/GHOSTRECONGOLD-f.jpg

So, on a related note: That GR gold is a DVD. If it is an import are import PC games on DVD media region specific?

Edited by Pej