Ghost Recon.net Forums

Removing log in at start up

The other day my labtop started wanting me to click a user icon to start up. I know that somewhere in Xp you can turn that off so that Xp will boot straight to the desc top - I just can't remember where?

Hi Wabby69!

Unchecking the welcome screen I then had to enter my password all of a sudden?! There was an ASX.something account (totally unknown to me?) - I deleted this restarted and now it goes straight to the desc top.

Thank you for helping me out.

I think what you had was an ASP account set up wen you recently updated or installed the .net framework?

There's a thread about that here somewhere already, that I started a while back. The solution is to install the service pack for .NET, which had the fix built in.

But you maybe solved it already - if it happens again though, post again and I'll find the old discussion.

asp.net isn't used for anything a normal user will use. remove the account and the problem goes away

I'm not disagreeing with you ROCO, but when I did all that reading way back when I had the issue, none of the solutions involved simply deleting the account that had been created. Don't ask me why, but the MS knowledgebase page on the subject didn't and none of the user fixes did either... dunno why.

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php

only used if you are a .net developer.

It does work though.

This site also lists alternative work arounds.

Ah, I stand corrected, that is the page I was at a while back, and it does say you can just delete the account. Dunno how I missed that, I installed SP1 mentioned on that page to get rid of it.

Well I didn't install an asp.net account actively (maybe it did so on an update?) and I shure don't use it. So as I wrote earlier I deleted the thing and now everything is back to normal :D !

Well I didn't install an asp.net account actively (maybe it did so on an update?) and I shure don't use it. So as I wrote earlier I deleted the thing and now everything is back to normal :D !

It comes in as part of the updates. Good to hear the annoyance has been resolved.

I too was tired of having to click on a User Account icon and removing the .netASP account solved the problem. Funny that it was like that from the time I installed Windows on this new HD last fall. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what went wrong. I even tried with PowerToys for XP. but that had no affect on it after the first boot up.

Thanks Roco.

I just went through this yesterday. Quickbooks 2005 requires .NET 1.1. I installed .NET 1.1, rebooted and I was presented with the "welcome screen" and hit to click on a user icon. I simply ran Windows Update to load the .NET 1.1 service pack and all was back to normal - booted straight through without stopping.