Somebody explain me how the performance settings work

djfreex

My system:

Athlon Xp 3200

2 GB DDR 333 RAM

7800GS AGP

GRAW is probably the most painful gaming experience I have been through with this system. I have read the tweak guide. Played with settings both through game menus and xml files. No use. I always get the same results with the game.

When I let the game setup my video settings, it sets up everything medium/high. My average FPS around 25-30 when walking around. Firefights it goes down to 20-25. Explosions down to 15-20. When there is an explosion and a firefight - frame skips - mouse lag and fps around 10. Playable (w/ some slowdowns) but compared to all the other games I played without any problems on high detail at 1280x720, it is not good enough.

Here is the interesting part. I thought "I want better FPS so let me tone down settings." I set the video settings to low (fancy stuff like dynamic lights ) and remaining to medium. Guess what? I still get the same exact FPS - no difference whatsoever. :wall:

Then I set all to low and decrease res. to 800x600. Again I pretty much get the same FPS. Not much different. Pretty much same FPS levels as the original settings done by the game. :wall:

Got the 93.71 drivers and system runs every other major game I have flawlessly.

I tried "texture managed backdrop = false" hack as well. It did not have any effect. The same FPS levels.

I am in the verge of getting an Xbox 360 so I can play this game flawlessly. :angry:

Anyone have any other ideas for me? Thanks

Anyone with a similar system? What are your FPS levels like.

My system:

Athlon Xp 3200

2 GB DDR 333 RAM

7800GS AGP

GRAW is probably the most painful gaming experience I have been through with this system. I have read the tweak guide. Played with settings both through game menus and xml files. No use. I always get the same results with the game.

When I let the game setup my video settings, it sets up everything medium/high. My average FPS around 25-30 when walking around. Firefights it goes down to 20-25. Explosions down to 15-20. When there is an explosion and a firefight - frame skips - mouse lag and fps around 10. Playable (w/ some slowdowns) but compared to all the other games I played without any problems on high detail at 1280x720, it is not good enough.

Here is the interesting part. I thought "I want better FPS so let me tone down settings." I set the video settings to low (fancy stuff like dynamic lights ) and remaining to medium. Guess what? I still get the same exact FPS - no difference whatsoever. :wall:

Then I set all to low and decrease res. to 800x600. Again I pretty much get the same FPS. Not much different. Pretty much same FPS levels as the original settings done by the game. :wall:

Got the 93.71 drivers and system runs every other major game I have flawlessly.

I tried "texture managed backdrop = false" hack as well. It did not have any effect. The same FPS levels.

I am in the verge of getting an Xbox 360 so I can play this game flawlessly. :angry:

Anyone have any other ideas for me? Thanks

Anyone with a similar system? What are your FPS levels like.

Post effects low, shadows off. Make sure you have the latest nvidia driver from there site. Have fun!

My system:

AMD Athlon Xp3000

1024 pc2700 DDR

BFG 7600GS 512mb AGP

Latest drivers from Guru3d

1440 x 900 - native res of my monitor

I have all of the settings to low with lighting & shadows off. One of my clan ran through some XP tweaks to help, basically just reducing the non game related load on the CPU.

The frames rates you mention are more or less what I get with the exception that with heavy firefights / explosions I don't really drop below 15 - 17fps. The game is still playable and I've never had mouse lag.

The only exception to this is on certain custom maps, which from what I can tell effects every PC spec.

The XP3000 is a recent swap in for a Sempron 2500. With the Sempron I suffered like you, with 10 - 15 fps as a routine and occasionally single figures!

However, given that you spec beats me in every area, unless you are also on custom maps, I can't see why you're struggling to the extent you are.

Maybe the tweaks to the XP settings make a difference but I'm not sure if it's posted anywhere, I'll ask around and found out where we got the tweaks from.