[ Have they improved the draw distance? ]

But what is to be of the game engine? Have they improved the draw distance? I'd think since they redid the engine an option that the server can do to set manually as PC's get even stronger.

I hate having my enemies just pop up out of no where to only shoot me. like they came out of some hidden future vortex. lmao!

anyone know or heard of anything?

-Papa6

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IGN previews have hinted at graphic improvements and thrown out buzzwords like "optimised" but there's been nothing specific so far. Considering the amount of grief/posts on the subject (draw distance) there will be hell to pay if it isn't addressed in :AW2.

More than 1 preview also mentioned vast map sizes & enemy snipers, leaving the impression that long(er) range sniping was possible.

EDIT:

IGN February 14:

Compared to the original game, GRAW 2's maps are absolutely enormous, with a vast amount of explorable terrain, crawling with hidden enemies. Hacienda is particularly impressive, thanks to the sheer majesty of its surrounding hills and mountains, many of which are scalable - luckily, given their popularity with enemy snipers. The size of the new levels is incredibly important too, not only to make the game feel more epic, but also to enable more strategic freedom - giving you room for more complex manoeuvres. Freedom, it seems, is the key here.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/764/764473p1.html

Edited by Cangaroo[TNT]

• 5 weeks later...

Well, with the new pictures we can speculate a bit further that the draw distance is most likely not really fixed.

65344-GRAW2_calavera_environment_s.jpg 65345-GRAW2_calavera_screen_01s.jpg 65346-GRAW2_calavera_artworks.jpg

65382-GRAW2_calavera_environment_02_s.jpg 65384-GRAW2_calavera_environment_03_s.jpg 65388-GRAW2_calavera_screen_02_s.jpg 65390-GRAW2_calavera_screen_03_s.jpg65386-GRAW2_calavera_overview_s.jpg

* Klik on the images above for larger ones

In this 'blown' example (from the first one in the list above) we see the phone lines get 'jagged' up in the distance and eventually dissapear from the screen:

GRAW2_Drawdistace.png

I think this is a big miss in GRAW if it is this way in all settings (even maxed GFX settings). I know far draw distances can be a real recource hogg but if this game aims at a long breath, future machines should be able to handle it in time (or even the maxed high end computers now).

I really hope we are wrong Papa6 but it doesn't look like it. :(

Edited by Toniezz

Well, with the new pictures we can speculate a bit further that the draw distance is most likely not really fixed.

65344-GRAW2_calavera_environment_s.jpg 65345-GRAW2_calavera_screen_01s.jpg 65346-GRAW2_calavera_artworks.jpg

65382-GRAW2_calavera_environment_02_s.jpg 65384-GRAW2_calavera_environment_03_s.jpg 65388-GRAW2_calavera_screen_02_s.jpg 65390-GRAW2_calavera_screen_03_s.jpg65386-GRAW2_calavera_overview_s.jpg

* Klik on the images above for larger ones

In this 'blown' example (from the first one in the list above) we see the phone lines get 'jagged' up in the distance and eventually dissapear from the screen:

GRAW2_Drawdistace.png

I think this is a big miss in GRAW if it is this way in all settings (even maxed GFX settings). I know far draw distances can be a real recource hogg but if this game aims at a long breath, future machines should be able to handle it in time (or even the maxed high end computers now).

I really hope we are wrong Papa6 but it doesn't look like it. :(

Although Im actually pretty impressed at your effort to determine this, disappearing phone lines does not necessarily equate to disappearing poeple. After all, you can see other objects beyond the disappearing phone lines. So why are they visible while the phone lines are not? the answer is that level of detail and sight distances are usually designated in a individually in the software for each object type. Obviously, they got it wrong in GRAW1 for viewing distance on humans/AI. And they heard about thier error repeatedly for months on these forums. So for me, the proof is not in the wires. Its in the pudding. I'll take disappearing phone wires as long as i get long range looks at people.

The issue is far from determined. I hope your analysis is wrong Toniezz

Edited by Sleepdoc

I understand you point and I also hope I am wrong, Sleepdoc. Well due to a lack of info about the assumed enhancements GRIN made to AW2 speculating is the only thing we can do for now and keeping it under the attention I hope will give the notice forwarded to our GRIN developers ;)

The dissappearing phone lines can also be the result of the 'jaggies' we saw in AW1. Again I really hope I am wrong on this one!

The IGN previews have hinted at graphic improvements and thrown out buzzwords like "optimised" but there's been nothing specific so far. Considering the amount of grief/posts on the subject (draw distance) there will be hell to pay if it isn't addressed in :AW2.

Ain't that the truth! Of course, bots will have to spawn further away for this to be of any use. Even with the very short draw distance in GRAW1, I had bots spawn well within visual range more than once.

Respectfully

krise madsen

Ain't that the truth! Of course, bots will have to spawn further away for this to be of any use. Even with the very short draw distance in GRAW1, I had bots spawn well within visual range more than once.

Respectfully

krise madsen

I remember playing the part of the map where you are on your way towards the parking garage (don't rember the mission name). When I was moving from a savepoint, prior to the one inside the parking garage (just a few streets away), through the narrow alley's tango's just spawned on top of me (1 or 2 meters away from me). I first thought I didn't notice them due to the dark area under the arces of the building. But I replayed from that last savepoint several times and pinpointed their spawn location and just saw them spawn a meter away from me. Thats bad. I know for sure GRIN has fixed issues like that now! I am sure they did. Just as in a way I have the confidence to think they also enhanced the draw distance. I know I've been naggin' about it a bit but somewhere I still have enough confidence in the GRINers that they are making AW2 the way they intended it the first time.

:thumbsup:

Scope range, especially sniper, needs to be fixed. Long range recon is necessary to develop a tactical approach. Add proper bullet physics and enemy awareness to discourage early sniper engagement.

I guess it all comes down to putting the "Recon" back into the series. Choose to engage or avoid non-mission related enemies.

That's my 2 cents....

Scope range, especially sniper, needs to be fixed. Long range recon is necessary to develop a tactical approach. Add proper bullet physics and enemy awareness to discourage early sniper engagement.

I guess it all comes down to putting the "Recon" back into the series. Choose to engage or avoid non-mission related enemies.

That's my 2 cents....

And I know somewhere GRIN/UBI stated they've put their most effort in getting the "Recon" back in AW2.

Im not sure if this question is aimed at the beta or not.

But there is an NDA within the download.

So I expect you wont get any info from the people that are in that programme.

True. but a picture speaks a thousand words. and by judging from the screenshot above by sleepdoc, tells me this will be just like GRAW, oh sure except more gametypes.

Just from what I've seen, I won't be buying into GRAW2. I'm not as susceptible to the hype as I have been before. unless they get another DEV, for me or from my point of view, GR is dead. I think this game engine isn't able to produce the goods.

-Papa6

I have also been asking this question for a while of different game developers.

Every developer I have talked to indicated to me that draw distances longer than they are now is likely going to need to wait a few more years.

It seems to me that "hard" objects like walls and solid bushes are drawm pretty far...while softer items like grass and brush are still limited to a certain circumfrance around the player.

I have been told by several in the industry...that as you "expand" the draw distance around the player...the amount of resources required increases exponentially.

This was not just GRAW developers mind you. This is a rather large issue in the industry isn't it?

True. but a picture speaks a thousand words. and by judging from the screenshot above by sleepdoc, tells me this will be just like GRAW, oh sure except more gametypes.

Just from what I've seen, I won't be buying into GRAW2. I'm not as susceptible to the hype as I have been before. unless they get another DEV, for me or from my point of view, GR is dead. I think this game engine isn't able to produce the goods.

-Papa6

This picture is not saying any thing mate, believe me, if the game looked like that I would not buy it either.

So any assumption that you do decide to make from that shot would be a poor one in fact a very poor one.

The original post was begining of March, so it started off as a general question long before the beta. I don't think he was trying to press the beta testers for any information.

Is there anything they can do to someone besides not let him beta test anymore if someone does leak information? My guess is that there is a lot of PM'ing that goes on during the beta. How can you not talk about the game with your buddies? Sorry off topic.

Is there anything they can do to someone besides not let him beta test anymore if someone does leak information? My guess is that there is a lot of PM'ing that goes on during the beta. How can you not talk about the game with your buddies? Sorry off topic.

Yeah, there is a lot that can be done. Might want to really read that NDA closely before speaking to your buddies.

-Papa6

This picture is not saying any thing mate, believe me, if the game looked like that I would not buy it either.

So any assumption that you do decide to make from that shot would be a poor one in fact a very poor one.

It goes like this. There's a Beta in session now. there's also an NDA that says noone can say anything. so if those screens are all we get...what else do we have to go by?

in other words, if you limit information on a product, you had better make sure it covers or explains things in such a way. what i see there was obviously a screenshot in game from a camera view of some kind which is also held to within the clipping range of the players. So I'm left with no other cards in my hands bro, but to say it like it is, from what I see.

why sell your own product short? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I wasn't referring to myself.

I don't do any beta testing so I've never read the no disclosure thing. And the fact that I don't have any friends leaves me out of the statement I made above.

I really was just curious.

Colin, also that is why most gaming companies offer demos. why some don't I'll never know. It doesn't seem to make good business sense to hide your product from gaining popularity unless....you know it sucks. :ph34r:

Papa I have followed events on this forum and others, and looked at so much info over the last couple years about my favourite pass time playing gr and now graw.

One big thing I have learnt is take no notice of screens, nine times out of ten, they depict the wrong impression you are trying to create.

They get picked to death by so called game experts, who will tel what is wrong why its wrong etc etc.

I think you already know this any way.

The only true way of deciding to play a game is to buy at new or wait until the price drops and make your own mind up.

We are by nature very indevidual in our tasts differ tremendously.

You know the saying a picture says a thousand words............. well in gameing terms this is not true, because you dont know how,where,what tools were used to create it, what part of the game it came from, what version of the game it came from etc etc.

Ubisoft have got a poor track record with information sharing and general press coverage, this Im afraid to say is a fact and we the consumer normally get the wrong information at the wrong time and normally in the wrong place.

Its depressing I know.

A solution to this is to have people in Ubi reorganise the press side completly, bring all the sites under one main department, and better control what is fed to the pulic, make sure it is accurate, up to date, and reliable.

So Im looking at the picture of the "Missing Wire" on the first page and decide to grab the original pic and look myself.

Your right the wire seems to disappear there, but what your missing, is to the left, the other poles and wires that are further in the background that do show up.

Now by pointing this out, Im not arguing either way, just simply making an observation.

-Papa6

your final decision is based on a few screenshots?

Once it's release Papa6 will be praising the game. Another month later he'll say it's the worst in the series. Once the first patch is released he'll say he loves the game again. Another month passes and he'll complain. It's been an endless cycle since GRAW 1s release :P

Only slightly teasing Papa!