GRAW with VISTA POLL

ROCO*AFZ*

GRAW Users, hardware + O/S  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In related news, a petition has started to have the price of Vista lowered in the UK.

It points out the "huge difference in the price that people in the US and the UK are paying for Windows Vista", claiming that Vista Ultimate (the premium version) costs £350 in the UK but can be bought for £150 ($298) in the US.

Clarify load on second map. Are you talking about VIP is down or a second map in multiplayer. If you are talking about the second mission/map on single player (VIP is Down I think), I had no problem loading it and starting and playing through to the second or third checkpoint/autosave. Just performance was sooooooo very bad it's not funny. 800x600 everything on low and I think I was in the single digits for FPS most of the time.

I used Vista for a few days and i saw something that seems to me to be the problem, for everything u do on Vista, playing a music file, a game, a movie, Vista creates specific sound emulators for every single one of the programs u run.

So my conclusion is this, we arent using our soundcards hardware, but using a software emulation, result low frames = poor gameplay.

Clarify load on second map. Are you talking about VIP is down or a second map in multiplayer. If you are talking about the second mission/map on single player (VIP is Down I think), I had no problem loading it and starting and playing through to the second or third checkpoint/autosave. Just performance was sooooooo very bad it's not funny. 800x600 everything on low and I think I was in the single digits for FPS most of the time.

I used Vista for a few days and i saw something that seems to me to be the problem, for everything u do on Vista, playing a music file, a game, a movie, Vista creates specific sound emulators for every single one of the programs u run.

So my conclusion is this, we arent using our soundcards hardware, but using a software emulation, result low frames = poor gameplay.

That could be it as that Vista, I believe is ditching direct sound and going with something else. This also means EAX is useless. I wonder if creative/MS hasn't fleshed out the sound processing yet. I noticed in GRAW it defaulted to EAX being enabled. When I disabled, it yielded a very slight performance increase - very slight.

I noticed in GRAW it defaulted to EAX being enabled. When I disabled, it yielded a very slight performance increase - very slight.

Yep. Vista uses OpenAL for it's hardware acceleration exclusively, and GRIN made sure to include OpenAL support for sound out of the box, as I recall. The good news is you can download OpenAL freely. If your hardware supports it, and the software does as well, it will fix the Vista audio issues.

I noticed in GRAW it defaulted to EAX being enabled. When I disabled, it yielded a very slight performance increase - very slight.

Yep. Vista uses OpenAL for it's hardware acceleration exclusively, and GRIN made sure to include OpenAL support for sound out of the box, as I recall. The good news is you can download OpenAL freely. If your hardware supports it, and the software does as well, it will fix the Vista audio issues.

Correct... and... Vista using OpenAl sound exactly like eax (starting to wonder if it ever used eax and not openAL from the start as both sound exactly the same on my x-fi)

I've been running Vista RC2 Build 5744 Ultimate for about 3-4months now. My comp is two years old but X-Fi. Never had any issues with any software except PhaseOnes RAW-converter what didnt install on Vista. If I remember right I've updated X-Fi drivers but Ati's drivers are build in. I had plenty of sound problems with same soundcard in XP but not in Vista.

Before I start to play I close sidebar, otherwise it will blink time to time in game. FPS was bad in XP and its about same in Vista. I havent played single or coop mode in last half year so I dont know if it works or not.

Now Im waiting for update in my hardware before I install OEM Vista, thats quite hard to move to other computer. I still have XP in my laptop but that will change when HP's OEM arrives.

I won't buy Vista untill i6t is at least 2 years out, and priced more reasonable, i'm willing to give 50€ for a game, but not 300€ for some buggy Windows...... (and that is opnly the home version..... nothing to do with 64 bites or pro.....) Or maybe someday I will buy a mouse and aqquire windows Vista OEM with it for 80€ :rocky: Lets all buy a mouse and tell Microsoft what their software really is worth.....

I bought Vista Ultimate 64-bit some days ago and GRAW isn't running properly on my machine, where as on XP it was running without a hitch.

Everytime I start a second mission or when I restart (not replay) the same mission, the system freezes up and all I'm left to do is start the TaskManager to end the game manually to take control of my system again.

:angry:

My system:

MOBO: Abit AN8-32X

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Dual Core (2.00 Ghz)

MEM: 2 Gb (2x1 Gb) Patriot PC3200 (Latency 2-3-2-5)

VID: nVidia Geforce 7900 GT Extreme (PCIe)

SND: Realtek AC'97 (Soundchip Onboard MOBO)

HD1: Hitachi Deskstar - 250GB SATA

HD1: Maxtor DiamondMax10 - 150GB SATA

EDIT: BTW, I don't have any of the FPS issues you guys are having. Or at least, not anymore. I had some problems aswell, untill I installed the latest driver from nVidia supporting Vista 32 and 64-bit. When the game runs, it runs very smoothly and I have no FPS drops at all.

Edited by deleyt

I must have the best of luck with computer issues...

When everyone was complaining about GRAW issues when it was first released, I had no problems. No crashing, no nothing.

When Vista was released and everyone said it had compatibility issues with many programs, I had none. (And I have many many different applications installed). My only issue was that my printer didn't have a driver released. Fixed that as of today. I'm dual booting just in case of an issue in the future, however.

And now, with people having issues with GRAW and Vista, I've had no problems whatsoever. My FPS seems to be the same, the graphics are just as good, everything seems to be running great.

I'm not trying to rub anything in anyone's faces, but it just seems that I have good luck with this sort of thing. I guess it must balance out in other aspects of my life, hehe.

So good luck to all of you. This sort of thing is bound to happen, but the issues will be resolved soon enough, I'm sure.

This is from my Catalyst Control Center. No fancy 3rd party tweaked drivers or anything, just downloaded these from the ATI site the other day. BTW I'm running an X1800XT 512MB, 2GB Ram, 3.2GHz P4, on Vista Business if that makes any difference. I haven't got the newfangled 8800 or anything like that.

Driver Packaging Version 8.342-070202a1-042852C-ATI

Catalyst® Version 07.2

Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

2D Driver Version 7.01.01.598

2D Driver File Path \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000

Direct3D Version 7.14.10.0471

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.0681

Catalyst® Control Center Version 2007.0202.1923.34565

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Radeon X800 and a USB headset or a Soundblaster Live 5.1 (depending on how I'm playing, single/multi) and I'm running Vista and GRAW with NO problems. FPS is good actually, not as good as I would like but good enough for singleplayer anyway. Resolution is 800*600 and most settings on medium or low but hey, it runs. Latest Catalyst for the ATI card fixed it, before that it was pretty lame performance.

What's funny though is that I can't run it in XP, everytime I trie to start it my computer goes BSOD on me so Vista actually saves the day.

Not running dualboot, just changing boot order on the disks.

Edited by Postman