AGP Graphics Opinion

BPR-BINKY

Hihi. I cant afford a proper upgrade for about a year and ive been putting off playing GRAW too long due to bad frame rates (around 40 fps with all settings on low, which is unplayable in my view).

Currently I have:

AMD Mobile Barton 2500+ @ 2.4ghz

Asus A7N8X-E Mobo

3x 512mb Geil PC3200

Nivida 256mb 6800GT

Was wondering if anyone has got one of these graphics cards on a similar system if so what kind of results are you getting?:

HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB (AGP)

I want to play on 1280x1024 with settings on medium-ish will i be going any higher than 60 fps? Or am i dreaming?

Dreaming... I have a 6800GS superclocked and overclock it by 25 hz on the core and still get around 35fps with shadows off and posteffects low. It's a 256 mb and i run it in high performance quality. I can't play 1280 due to some mouse lag (just enough to effect me) at 1175 x some resolution though it's playable. With the 1950 you may get 1280 at 40fps with some settings low but i doubt higher. Some of our clan are running 7900's with core 6600's and 2gb of ram and getting around 50fps with all settings high.

Here is the spec for it in graw with a higher end system

Check down at 38.4 mark... that is at 1280x1024. granted all settings are high but without the strength of there machine, plan on cranking it down.

graw.gif

Note on this next image all tests were done with core 2 extremes and high end mainboards.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/radeo...ro/index.x?pg=3

Hope this helps.

Eyup Binky!

Your spec's not much different to mine:

AMD Sempron 2500

1gig (2 x 512) PC2700

BFG 7600 GS 512mb

I'm in the same boat as you regarding affordability of a PCI-E upgrade, so ended up going to the 7600GS from a 5950U which turned out not to be supported. My normal fps is 25 - 35 which whilst not brilliant is definately playable.

I've already had one of Chip's "tweaks" and will hopefully get more done at the next LAN.

Joker's always maintained that it's playable with his old 9800 and the 6800GT is a better card. It's worth getting hold of Chip or Joker and running through one of their tweaks to see what that gets you before you go looking at lots of cash on an AGP card.

:)

BTW, I'm playing on 1440 x 900 WS ( or whatever the numbers are!) settings mostly on medium with shadows off.

Edited by FatmanDaz

i got amd sepron 3000+

1 gig 2700

ati radeon x1600 pro 512ddr2 AGP

I get around 30-40 fps, but i am still very competitive. I got a widescreen and play on a high res with most things high apart from post affects and dynamic lights.

The eye cannot see more than 30fps so why bother with all these high rates? it doesnt mean anything! you cant see or shoot any faster cuz i have at least 30 fps so its 50/50.

Stick with your system and look at buying a whole new 1 in the future, dont fork out on AGP cards if your getting reasonable frames.

typical would be: -

intel core duo e6600

2 gig corsaird ddr2

abit/asus mobo

and when you have the penniez - an 8800gtx

then youl get kick ass frames and an upto date system.

hihi, thanks for the replys, im still not convinced against not getting the:

HIS ATI Radeon X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (AGP)

Powered by ATI Radeon X1950 PRO - 620MHz (RV570 80nm)

- 512MB-256bit 8 channel GDDR3 memory - 1.48GHz

- ICEQ3 Silent Cooling System (Drops GPU and Case temperatures)

- 36 Pixel shader processor

- Ultra-threaded SM 3.0 Engine

- 512-bit Ring-bus

- HDCP Enabled

The nvidia best equivalent is (i prefer the ati one from the stats):

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS "Goes Like Hell" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)

GeForceâ„¢ 7900 GS GPU running at 500MHz+

- 512MB 1400MHz+ high speed GDDR3 memory

- Superscalar 20-Pipe GPU Architecture

- SILENT Gainward Cooling solution

- High-Speed DDR 256-bit Memory Interface

- Dual 400MHz RAMDACs

Both of these cards are faster, more pixel shaders and 512mb memory than the ones already mentioned.

Ive borrowed 2x1gb memory sticks with little improvement. Im thinking some 2x1gb ocz platinum el pc3200 and the HIS graphics card will at least make it playable, albeit at a lower quality at 1280x1024. Just look at the stats they are sooo much better than the 6800s and 7600 with 256mb. and as mentioned i cant afford much more until the end of the year. anyone got these cards??

@Kram: I need higher frame rates than 30 otherwise it doesnt look/feel/play right in first person shooters.

Edited by BPR-BINKY

@Kram: I need higher frame rates than 30 otherwise it doesnt look/feel/play right in first person shooters.

I get your logic in everything you said apart from the last bit!

Even at 18 - 20 fps the game plays fine, there's no visual lag and I don't reckon I'm suffering as a result. Not withstanding I'm a crap player :wall:

When it's in the 25 - 30 fps range, which is the norm apart from insane firefights, it plays as well as [GR] used to on the 5950U.

Are you coming to the LAN at the end of March?

There's going to be enough variations around to check out plus you can get a Chip-tweak at the same time!

Are you coming to the LAN at the end of March?

There's going to be enough variations around to check out plus you can get a Chip-tweak at the same time!

You have just made me realise by checking my diary. I was, but going snowboarding now. Booked it starting the week before not realising the next weekend was the lan. Dam. My housemate Panic is going though. See you at the next one...

• 2 weeks later...
I need higher frame rates than 30 otherwise it doesnt look/feel/play right in first person shooters.
I agree with you completely, Binky. When I first bought GRAW, my system was just about identical to yours. And like you, I seemed to average about 35-40fps - and that was at 1024x768 res at very low settings. At this fps, the game was somewhat laggy and glitchy and there would always be dips to the teens under certain conditions.

Now that I have a new system and am averaging about 60fps at 1280x1024 on medium settings, I can attest to the fact that the game is so much more enjoyable to play.

Whether you should get the X1950Pro AGP or not depends on whether you sink more cash in your current system to give it one last burst of performance or to start saving for a newer gen of a PC. The X1950Pros are quite expensive for the performance you get.

Here's a comparison:

Cheapest X1950Pro AGP I could find..........$215

vs.

Cost of:

San Diego 4000+ (Socket 939 OEM)..........$76

Decent Socket 939 Mainboard.................~$80

ATI X1950GT PCI-E..................................$150

OR Nvidia 7900GS (PCI-E)........................$160

Reuse your RAM from your Socket A system.

My point is that for about $100 more you can have a PCI-E system that will outperform your AGP-based system even with an X1950Pro.

And to answer your initial question, my guess is that you would fall short of your goal of 12x10 res at medium settings with that video card.

FYI Nvidia will be releasing a GF 8600 DX10 AGP card later this year.

Cool, I didn't know that. Having seen how the price tumbled on my 7800 though, I'll probably wait a few months before buying it, if I'm not already PCI-E by then.

Cool, I didn't know that. Having seen how the price tumbled on my 7800 though, I'll probably wait a few months before buying it, if I'm not already PCI-E by then.

Actually, just cuz it runs DX10 doesn't mean it will be faster than your current DX9 card. In fact, I'm betting the 8600 will be slower than your current card. No need to upgrade as most games will still support DX9 (only DX10-only game for sure is Halo 2 PC as MS is trying to use that to bait people to upgrade to Vista)

Actually, just cuz it runs DX10 doesn't mean it will be faster than your current DX9 card. In fact, I'm betting the 8600 will be slower than your current card.

If I was to upgrade to PCI-E anytime soon, what would the equivalent card be for me, so I can work out the starting point for an upgrade...? Any idea?

Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS "Goes Like Hell" 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)

That's the one I have. Great card.

How come I can't this on Pricegrabber. Their usually good at finding cards.

Is this UK only card, I'm in the US.

187.99 GBP=368.896 USD :blink:

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

It was a UK only release I think, I seem to remember people were having it exported to America from overclockers.co.uk.

BTW, when I bought it, it was almost double that price. :wall:

It was a UK only release I think, I seem to remember people were having it exported to America from overclockers.co.uk.

BTW, when I bought it, it was almost double that price. :wall:

Make that a DOUBLE DAMN!!!

What does the US have in comparison? at least 256 MB?

:unsure: