Raising and lowering terrain

Dustuna

Hi

This is proberly a total noob question :blush: , but when i place a elevated (steep) road part and i then want to continue the road with an elevated flat roadpart then that part is gonna stick to ground zero :wall: . how do i raise this part? Page up and Page down dont seems to help like they do with objects!

Also to make a rough dirt terrain do i need to make it in another program like 3ds max 7 and export it to the editor? or is there some way to make it like it is in Ready fore bear and stronghold beginning.

Thx in advance

Page Up/Page Down I think are the keys you are looking for, or maybe it was just the up and down arrows. It's one of those things you use often enough that it's just automatic to do it and forget how it's done. :)

EDIT: Press F1 for a help menu in the editor. Or maybe it was F12? I think F1......sheesh, I should start trying to memorize these things...

Edited by Nutlink

Also to make a rough dirt terrain do i need to make it in another program like 3ds max 7 and export it to the editor? or is there some way to make it like it is in Ready fore bear and stronghold beginning.

You need to built such terrain in Max.

EDIT: There is no practical way to make "tiles" for the editor so you can built such terrain in there.

Edited by Wolfsong

EDIT: There is no practical way to make "tiles" for the editor so you can built such terrain in there.

Actually, there is.

But you'd have to use Max ofcourse to build the tile, like you said, and have to know the exact tile-dimensions and elevation. Elevation is probably the hardest parameter to get right.

I'm working (off and on) on a new terrain for GRAW and was able to add models like tiles within an environment-set.

I must say I haven't exported or rebundled the package yet, but that's just a formality I guess.

It's working fine in the editor and in-game, though.

I guess page up and down while having the road piece select does the trick? Just tested it and nothin happens. any idea what i do wrong? its a static piece ofcourse.

My icq nr is 451-294-943 if someone could give a noob a push in the right direction :) im not a total noob though ive made maps fore other games like battlefield 2 and lotr the battle for middle earth 2

Actually, there is.

But you'd have to use Max ofcourse to build the tile, like you said, and have to know the exact tile-dimensions and elevation. Elevation is probably the hardest parameter to get right.

I'm working (off and on) on a new terrain for GRAW and was able to add models like tiles within an environment-set.

Sure you can do it, but that's not what I said. I said that there is no practical way of doing it. Having worked with Neverwinter Nights where everything is tiles, I clearly have to say no there isn't a practical way. You'd have to create every possible tile combination or ground types... which is what we did and it ended up in thousands of tiles. And that is not practical, and it will make your landscape have squarish repetitive features. Sure you can create big tiles with lots of stuff on them, but them you're still stuck with just a few combinations and can make those in Max and have the option to shape differences into each at the same time.

It's best to build the ground in Max and then use the stats/props in the editor to design the mission and build the environment on it. It will require much less work, by far.

Edited by Wolfsong

I misread practical for possible. My bad.

I agree that rural terrain is probably inpractical, since everything needs to connect properly and would actually be more time-consuming then building it as one big tile.

However, for urban (1 or 2 heightlevels) settings, it's recommendable, as large area's can be (lego-)build in a small amount of time, without too much repetition if placed well.