PC Bargain Bin Suggestions?

firefly2442

Hey all. So I got a $50 dollar gift card for Christmas that has been burning a hole in my pocket. I was thinking of buying some old bargain bin PC games. Here are some possibilities that I came up with:

-Unreal Tournament 2004

-Max Payne 2

-Tropico

-Brothers in Arms

-Thief Series (1 or 2), does this run under XP?

Anyone else have ideas for cool old games that I could get?

Thief is a bit tricky to run under XP, but it's definitely doable - just read up a FAQ at www.ttlg.com forums, or ask me :) . I strongly recommend that game (the first two, at least).

Also how about Deus Ex, or System Shock 2? ... though I'm not sure if they are available in stores anymore...

Unreal Tournament 2004 ( x100 mods)

Max Payne 2 (Google the various mod)

GTA3 (get RealGTA mod)

GTR2 (if still $19 in BestBuy)

StarWars Battlefront 2 (various mods available)

Full Spectrum Warrior (1st one)

Tom Clancy's Sum Of All Fears just in case a new mod should arise :whistle:

Well, I just played the Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 demo and I wasn't that impressed. It was OK but I didn't feel like I had that much control over my squad. They followed me around but that was about it. In terms of true tactics, there wasn't much there IMO.

The Full Spectrum Warrior demo that I played some time ago was fun, but it seemed too easy in the sense that enemies were not dynamic in reacting to your movements. It was more like a puzzle. You move your units to flank them, and that was that.

I will certainly be getting UT2k4 and Max Payne 2, but I'm not sure about the rest. Eh, maybe I should save some money for Supreme Commander in a month. I'm drooling over that one. :D

I'd suggest checking out Sniper Elite. After Hatchetforce's positive review, I played the demo over Christmas and it was pretty intense.

If you haven't tried Call of Duty 1 and its expansion, that's a well made game too.

Your best bet is to download demos and try before you buy.

The Brothers in Arms series is better from the tactical POV. Call of Duty rocks the FPS POV. Take your pick. If you want tactical, go BIA. If you want action, CoD is the way to go.

They both give you a similar environment, of course.

Well, I just ordered UT2k4 Editor's Choice Edition. I guess I could have gotten the original but I figured an extra couple bucks was worth it. I also got a USB Wifi stick (not technically a game but... ;) ) which was just too good to pass up. I'll send in the $10 mail in rebate and get another game when I get that back. :)

I suggest Evil Genius!

Absolutely amazing and addictive. It got that just one more thing to do before I stop-feeling so it's hard to stop when you play the game the first time(s).

It's not an action game, but you build your own underground base, recruit minions and train them, build traps to stop the agents of justice.

The plan is of course to take over the world :)

Again, it's not an action game but it's addictive and definitely a bargain!

There is a demo, but you can't build traps so it's not as fun as the real deal. The game shouldn't cost more than 7 - $9.

Edited by Hockeystick

Well, I just ordered UT2k4 Editor's Choice Edition. I guess I could have gotten the original but I figured an extra couple bucks was worth it. I also got a USB Wifi stick (not technically a game but... ;) ) which was just too good to pass up. I'll send in the $10 mail in rebate and get another game when I get that back. :)

Get the Homer Simpson skin pack...its just hilarious playing folks with that skin pack. :D

Brothers in Arms Earned in Blood isnt really THAT bad, it just doesent excel in any real tactics other than being able to point where you want your guys to go with the cursor, thats something I wish GR could have.

I am playing through the storymode and EiB has a Skirmish mode and "Authentic" challenge mode or something like that.

The only thing I dont like at all in the BiA series is that when a teammate dies, it continues just as if nothing happened (in the first one anyway), wheres BiA EiB has the option to restart the mission or just revive the teammate if they die for story's sake. It just makes you not really care if they die or not.

• 1 month later...

Well, I was at CompUSA here last week and picked up Tropico and Stronghold (2 game pack) and Full Spectrum Warrior both for $10 dollars each with 10% off (going out of business sale). I finished the FSW campaign and it was quite fun. Worth the low price IMO. :)

Yeah, its a good series, if you dont mind more of the same (with some additional features), get FSW Ten Hammers!

I havent beat the first one yet but I have the second aswell, I want to beat the 1st one 1st though. I am stuck on the airport mission in FSW, everytime I get to the part where the MG overlooking the wrecked stuff/trailers, I get killed and I suppose due to "Realistic" settings, makes me start completely over. I know I selected Realistic, but geez, a checkpoint or save ability would be nice!

Oh and I dont think of a Grenadier with only one or two grenades for his M203 realistic either.

Edited by Foxtrot360

As CommandoCrazy suggested, see if you can get Deus Ex. It has a great single player campaign, one of the best games I've ever played (Right up there with [GR]). Here in Australia you can pick it up for about $9.00 - $18.00 as a Big Bytes Classic PC Game.

Yeah, I played it on the easy setting and there were some parts that were quite hard. I think I used a grenade on that MG too. :)

If you think that one is hard, just wait for the last mission (epilogue mission #2).

As for Deus Ex, I have it... sorta. This makes me really mad. I was at some store and saw it in the bargain bin for $10 dollars and it said "special edition". Well, by special edition they meant that they only included half the game. Seriously, right in the middle it says, "hey thanks for trying it, please buy the full game to finish it up..." argh. I was so mad. I did get Deus Ex 2 which was OK but I bet the first one is better.