"Screech" sound or looping sound, then hard lockup - v1.35

At random times, while playing GRAW v1.35, my game suddenly make s screeching sound, or it starts looping a sound, and instantly, the game locks up. CTL-ALT-DEL wont work. nothing will. It is a hard lock and has to be shut down by pulling the plug.

v1.35

ASUS K8V SE DELUXE Mobo

AMD 3700+

1Gig PC-3200

Audigy 2 with absolute newest drivers right from Creative lab's "autodetect-autoinstall" website

NVidia 6800GT 256RAM with newest drivers as of last week (93.72 i think?)

SATA 150 on VIA chipset.

Has anyone else come to know this issue? It only happens to me in GRAW. I think it is sound card related, but I cannot prove it. Nor can i fix it or stop it from happneing. It occurs randomly while playing GRAW. Some days, I can play 4 of 5 missions in a row. Other times, it occurs within 2 minutes of launching the Game. Happens to me in both SP and MP.

Any one know how to get this problem to go away?

Sleepdoc

It is an audigy 2 problem unfortunately and happens totally randomly.

I have the same thing on several games, can happen 3 times in a night, then won't happen again for a week or two.

I have tried all versions of drivers, reinstalled numerous times, nothing seems to sort it. Tbh I am thinking of just getting a diff soundcard as I never had problems with a terratec card.

you might wanna check your bios for gpu apature(or something) check if it is the same as your gpu mb

i had lots of auto reboots (blue screens) when i set the game to medium and my bios to 256mb apature it went away.

don't know if it is the same problem but you might wanna check it

Has anyone else come to know this issue?

I've got an Audigy 2 ZS and have also had the same problems you mention a time or 2,along with the many other bugs GRAW offers,tried a few things other members mentioned without any luck then gave up as I almost never play GRAW. :(

This sounds like the old and infamous "screech of death" that some Audigy model was known for - but that was a while ago. I would have thought it would have been solved by Creative by now.

I played GRAW since it came out with an Audigy 2 OEM and never had the problem in any game. Since Dai-San has driver numerous driver installs, if I got the problem, I would try the following:

a) uninstall drivers, MOVE the Audigy to a different PCI slot, reinstall drivers

b) check and make sure my power supply's rails were up to snuff

It actually sounds more like a hardware-type problem than simply a driver problem.

Uninstalling the Audigy drivers, I recently found out, involves executing the driver executable like you were going to install the drivers. At some point, you'll be prompted to remove the old drivers. Say yes and after reboot just cancel out of the "install".

Took me a while to find this out and I found to be very weird. It did work though. Also note that Driver Cleaner Pro has a cleaning option for Creative. That might be something to look into.

I recently bought an X-Fi XtremeGamer (not Fatal1ty and not onboard RAM models). It's currently $90. I couldn't tell any difference between it and my Audigy 2. I use a 5.1 setup.

I had the same problem with my xfi on an intel asus. Disabling memory acceleration fixed the problem... maybe the same for your amd

PC would about blow my ears out with a high pitch wine then the computer would lock... still doing it and i would have to reset it.

Check your bios for any type of memory accelration or overclock. disable it and test.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been around in a while but with the upcoming AW2, I figured I'd peek back in...

I think I've permanantly fixed the 'screech of death'! Haven't had it in > 4 months and I used to get this on all newer games randomly.

Searching Creative's site, I found the problem is with the their cards and the nForce older mobo chipset. No amount of driver updating helped. I finally underclocked (yes, underclocked) my memory from 666mHz to 600 mHz and I haven't had the problem once since. I've got 2 gig DDR 2 and underclocked it in the BIOS.

So if you have an nForce mobo, try underclocking you system memory. Hope this helps (and I hope AW2 rocks)!

Edit: I've noticed no performance degradation with this change, no change in FPS, no change in load times, ect.....

Edited by FWF.Osteo

I haven't been around in a while but with the upcoming AW2, I figured I'd peek back in...

I think I've permanantly fixed the 'screech of death'! Haven't had it in > 4 months and I used to get this on all newer games randomly.

Searching Creative's site, I found the problem is with the their cards and the nForce older mobo chipset. No amount of driver updating helped. I finally underclocked (yes, underclocked) my memory from 666mHz to 600 mHz and I haven't had the problem once since. I've got 2 gig DDR 2 and underclocked it in the BIOS.

So if you have an nForce mobo, try underclocking you system memory. Hope this helps (and I hope AW2 rocks)!

Edit: I've noticed no performance degradation with this change, no change in FPS, no change in load times, ect.....

Essentially it sounds like what i did with my intel based asus... in the above post.

Essentially it sounds like what i did with my intel based asus... in the above post.

Hiya Roco! Yeah but my mobo was stock with mem clock at 666mHz so turning off any mem acceleration wouldn't have helped as it wasn't accelerated! I can see where the effect would be the same though...

This wont help I guess but I have this issue without an audigy sound card!

I have a cheap & cheerful PNY 2.1 card, old as the hills but reliable until GRAW came along and I randomly get this issue. Same as the resy of you guys, all I can do is a hard reboot to get it back going. Thankfully it's a rare occurence and more of an annoyance than a real hindrance. I guess if it were to become more regular it would start to wind me up!

I have a cheap & cheerful PNY 2.1 card, old as the hills but reliable until GRAW came along and I randomly get this issue. Same as the resy of you guys, all I can do is a hard reboot to get it back going. Thankfully it's a rare occurence and more of an annoyance than a real hindrance. I guess if it were to become more regular it would start to wind me up!

You can try the memory changes we recommended.

I'll certainly give that a go and see if the problem persists.

On a related not I'm thinking about getting one of the new X-fi 7.1 cards. Not the gamer editions ( that seem to have thier own memory) but I guess the base model, around £40 / $80.

Reviews I've seen say they are a huge improvement in sound but I'd appreciate comments from any GRAW guys who may have made similar upgrades from basic soundcards or onboard.

I'll certainly give that a go and see if the problem persists.

On a related not I'm thinking about getting one of the new X-fi 7.1 cards. Not the gamer editions ( that seem to have thier own memory) but I guess the base model, around £40 / $80.

Reviews I've seen say they are a huge improvement in sound but I'd appreciate comments from any GRAW guys who may have made similar upgrades from basic soundcards or onboard.

The difference is like night and day. I have and x-fi Xtreme music. You can hear about a block away.