DX10 & Sm3.0

Just one question, I have searched the current threads and I dont see this topic, this is a huge topic in Vegas forums, and alot of ppl got left behind when Ubi went Sm3.0 with Vegas.

Is GRAW 2 going to be made with DX10 video card support? I will be upgrading shortly to a DX10 Nvidia card, like the Nvidia 8800 GTS and was wondering.

Plus will it be made with Sm3.0 support like Vegas does, seeing that they used the Unreal 3 engine and there is no Sm2.0 mod and it seems Ubi wont patch the game for folks that have Sm2.0 cards.

Just wondering, I hope I am not posting a dicussion that has alreay taken place.

DeathDealer...

This same topic was discussed extensively in the SC:DA forums. However, someone from Grin (I'll edit later if I find it) posted that if you can play GRAW, you'll be able to play GRAW2, but they'll probably add an ADDITIONAL gig of RAM to the minimum specs.

HERE it is.

Edited by Cangaroo[TNT]

' date='Jan 19 2007, 05:48 PM' post='445622']

This same topic was discussed extensively in the SC:DA forums. However, someone from Grin (I'll edit later if I find it) posted that if you can play GRAW, you'll be able to play GRAW2, but they'll probably add an ADDITIONAL gig of RAM to the minimum specs.

HERE it is.

Careful there, I said that you probably should not need to upgrade, but also that I could not promise anything in that ares, and we haven't promised anything yet. And I also meant that 1 gb of ram should probably be minimum specs and not just in recommended so not an additional, just my broken english. I meant 1 gb minimum, 1 gb reommended. But of course the more the better.

But the wizards over at programming might have some tricks up their sleeves so you have to wait for when the specs release until we fully know what will be needed to run GRAW2. Actaully the specs from GRAW could just as well go down as up or stay at about the same level.

' date='Jan 19 2007, 05:48 PM' post='445622']

HERE it is.

Careful there, I said that you probably should not need to upgrade, but also that I could not promise anything in that ares, and we haven't promised anything yet. And I also meant that 1 gb of ram should probably be minimum specs and not just in recommended so not an additional, just my broken english. I meant 1 gb minimum, 1 gb reommended. But of course the more the better.

But the wizards over at programming might have some tricks up their sleeves so you have to wait for when the specs release until we fully know what will be needed to run GRAW2. Actaully the specs from GRAW could just as well go down as up or stay at about the same level.

Well that does sound like good news, especially to ppl that have Shader model 2.0 cards, like the x800 Ati card model line.

Though it would be nice to have Dx10 support, as well as DX 9.0c. But I am no programmer so it's all a thought.

I am looking forward to GRAW 2....

I just had a few quick questions for Grin thats a little off topic ssorry. :P

I was wondering how does the development of GRAW2 actually happen?

Do you guys work in tandem with the 360 version...or are you completely seperate after intial design/concept stage is sorted(are these different for each platform?).... how much do you stray from your(ubi's,whoevers) original concepts?

Secondly.And this is purely hypothectical.... The various content that is in the 360 version of GRAW. If said content could be extracted would it work in GRAW PC? i think i know what you're gonna say here,but anyways... :)

With regards software rights and such, I was wondering who owns the actually game and all the stuff in it?

Do Ubisoft own it all after you fullfill your contract to make the game to release standard? Or do you have some artist ownership of certain elements?

And finally..... How did GRAW 2 make its birth? was it half way through makong GRAW that you were able to start work on second one?... and where did the original concepts come from?

i'm sorry if you have already answered these questions . Maybe I should have searched more. But its typed now so.... feel free to just say search creten,search

:hehe:

Do you guys work in tandem with the 360 version...or are you completely seperate after intial design/concept stage is sorted(are these different for each platform?).... how much do you stray from your(ubi's,whoevers) original concepts?

Secondly.And this is purely hypothectical.... The various content that is in the 360 version of GRAW. If said content could be extracted would it work in GRAW PC? i think i know what you're gonna say here,but anyways... :)

With regards software rights and such, I was wondering who owns the actually game and all the stuff in it?

Do Ubisoft own it all after you fullfill your contract to make the game to release standard? Or do you have some artist ownership of certain elements?

And finally..... How did GRAW 2 make its birth? was it half way through makong GRAW that you were able to start work on second one?... and where did the original concepts come from?

i'm sorry if you have already answered these questions . Maybe I should have searched more. But its typed now so.... feel free to just say search creten,search

You probably should make your own thread and ask those questions.

Back on topic...it's my impression that a true DX10 game needs to be developed from the ground up as a DX10 game. As we're still in DX9 territory, GRAW2 will be DX9. Maybe GRAW3 or 4 will use DX10.

I may be incorrect, though.

Back on topic...it's my impression that a true DX10 game needs to be developed from the ground up as a DX10 game. As we're still in DX9 territory, GRAW2 will be DX9. Maybe GRAW3 or 4 will use DX10.

Grin make PC games for leading edge hardware and software, they have been using Hardware for months now that most of us have to waite for.

Grin make PC games for leading edge hardware and software, they have been using Hardware for months now that most of us have to waite for.

Agreed. Most developers have access to the "candy store" and can utilize the most recent technology. Additionally, I don't think I saw any clues within the latest GRAW2 details that Vista would be required (i.e. DX10). Until they say otherwise, DX9 is most likely being used for GRAW2.

(shocking thought!!! - if Vista and a DX10 vcard end up being required for GRAW2, there will be some unhappy campers in these forums) :blink:

I think I read SOMEWHERE that Vista will initially ship with DX9 and then the first SP(service pack) will upgrade everything to DX10 in the last half of this year. I'm kinda boned as I don't see myself upgrading my vid card until next year!?!

But I'm not sure. I forgot that along with everything else. but we shouldn't get depressed. Vid cards will still come in budget flavors for us folks who are on a budget.

But I'd say that GRAW2 will be DX9 for XP.

Vista will have a DX9 version (9.0L or some such). It emulates DX9.0c I think. That will still be an option for games if DX10 is installed, but I imagine it won't let you install DX10 unless you have a DX10 capable card. As such, I don't think they'll force you to buy a DX10 card if you update, but just make it an option.

/sidetracking

I know GRIN was first to use something but I can't put my finger on it... was it pixelshader? :hmm:

Ageia physics effects?

Ah, found it in an old copy of SWE PC Gamer:

Grin was the first developer who made use of vertex and pixelshader in a game.

Edited by Hockeystick

I know GRIN was first to use something but I can't put my finger on it... was it pixelshader? :hmm:

Ageia physics effects?

Ah, found it in an old copy of SWE PC Gamer:

Grin was the first developer who made use of vertex and pixelshader in a game.

Yupp. It's used on the landscapes to blend textures withough using alpha maps as seen in the terrain modeling tutorial that came in a patch.

I know there is atleast one more title that use ageia physics. Don't remember which though :P

However, I do remember it really requires the physics card. You can't play the game without it.

Well if thats the case then it really limits the sales of them game, or forces ppl to buy this card.

Either way I aint buying it, unless It does a magic with games.

Death