Some last minute suggestions

I understand everyone has an opinion and all but, if that's the way you feel, then buy the XBOX360 version. We had this discussion eons ago with regards to the PC version of GRAW. Added: but alot of folks said no. please stop trying to ruin the PC version.

opinions like this, tend to tell me that this is why UBISOFT is leaning so heavy toward the consolitis of the last couple years. :hmm:

Yeah, and the fpv did not workout imo, it looked worse. After everyone said no to tpv, they went and looked at the 360 version and wondered why ours didn't look so good. Also, a lot of people came together and made a tps mod. I would like to see it toggable. I don't own a 360 and don't plan to, I just want to ensure people don't look at the pc version and question its visuals once again (despite the fact we could run at a higher res/effects, they used tps as a benchmark)... At least they could improve the fps hand models, that way fps view wont be so disappointing as it was before.

Edited by Beers

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was nothing wrong with the visuals, just the system requirements. IMO the visuals between GRAW PC and 360 are equally good.

The gameplay must come first. When most people want first-person only and realism then GRIN should focus on the gameplay instead of adding several views that has nothing to do with realism. Time is a big factor here...

LOD/draw distance: Increase the Draw Distance and LOD to at least what the AI can "sense" that way we are not getting shot by invisible enemies standing out the open, yet we cannot see them.

AI: Problem with AI and foilage. AI can sense you through hedge rows and foilage and fire on you accurately. The foilage needs to act like a solid in regards to visibility to the AI and prevent detection if you are on the other side of it. I know this is limiting in some situations but it's completely unrealistic as it is and impossible to sneak up on an enemy AI when moving on the other side of any kind of foilage when you cannot see through it but they have ESP and can sense you.

Map Bloat/auto download: Make it so the maps are checked at the time of loading that specific map. That way startup times for both the server and the client aren't increased with every map that is downloaded on the client's cpu or for the server for every map loaded in the custom folder. Also it could make it so a player does not have to restart the whole game after autodownloading the map. Just lock the map once it's loaded and do a crc check, if it doesn't match then boot the the client.

Mods: Better handling of mods and separation from the stock install. Include a switcher when starting. Maybe use a folder structure to install mods in separately and use the folder names as the mod designation. Then let the client choose which mod to run at startup. Also when running a mod, only show similarly modded servers. This really cleans up the server list and makes it easier for players to find servers running the same mod.

AC: I hate to say it, Either make it a priority and fix it, or please ditch it and implement Punkbuster. If GRAW2 becomes more popular for matching, something significantly more is going to be needed as an anticheat that what is currently being used.

Edited by FI_FlimFlam

Oh and I forgot to add..

More of a wish than anything else: Since I'm looking to update to quad core in the very near future.

MultiCore support. Allow us to specify how many and which cores to use if you are going to include multi-core support. This would be especially nice for dedicated servers as well allowing us to customize how many and which cores a server would utilize would be a god send.

- Actual gore this time around. Regulars here know how long it took mirr and I to actually get real blood into GRAW 1.

- Louder weapons. For some reason, the weapons sound like peashooters and drowned out, on both my 5.1 speakers and headset.

Things that must be taken into consideration

---------------

-The mod system is good for longevity. Take a lesson from games like oblivion, or better yet Coutner-stike Source, you are able to change the weapon models and player skins for use in online play, without any interference or worry from the anti-cheat program.

-SADS (Stand Alone Dedicated Server) is also a very important part to an online community in the pc environment (take a lesson from r6 vegas).

-MP functionality in general is very important for this game to surpass the original. This entails fast loading times, solid connections, smooth animations for a client viewing another client, accurate hit boxes, informative gui that includes kill/death ratios and accuracy (unlike r6 vegas), password functionality, custom server names, etc...

-About Quick saves and Quick loads. Since, you guys (Grin) implemented the functionality to save anywhere, just make sure that it can be toggled by hitting f6 or any other f- key. It would be very tedious to go to the menu and hit save, or hit load when you die.

-Cvars/ console commands. A host needs to maintain a healthy environment of play. Kicking/ banning, map changing, etc should be able to be toggled by the host/ dedicated host and admin simply buy entering the command in the console window or dedicated server window.

(Some of these things are a no brainer when it comes to online play, but it must be reiterated again and again to ensure it has been taken into consideration.)

Suggestions

---------------

-Since, the game is firstperson, add some interactivity with the hands. A good example is rainbow six vegas. Have the hands signal when you are giving an order. It will add a more tactical and visual feel to the game.

-Add new textures to the guns. Maybe even add the option to customize the color of your gun. (maybe a pattern implementer, one with an American flag patter, one with jungle pattern, and then your basic colors like black, tan, green, etc.)

-Ability to add silencers on the fly. Despite r6 Vegas's huge flaws in mp functionality, the game did implement some nice and flashy tactical ideas, and this was one of them. (this ties into the idea of more fpv hand activity for immersion.)

-Since there are dynamic day and night cycles, the same principles can from the silencer should be applied to a flash light. Despite the fact that there are night vision goggles, this would just be a nice feature in general.

-When putting on NV goggles have the hand go off screen and actually switch them down.

-Use depth of field a bit more combined with motion blur to make some things appear more realistic. (maybe apply this more to when you reload, or put on a silencer.)

(I know a lot of things deal with hand interactivity, and I may appear obsessed, but a lot of these things would be innovative and tactical as well as add a more immersive feel to the game.)

Edited by Beers

Another "little thing", isn't the smoke grenades underpowered in GRAW? My experience is that you get more smoke for the buck IRL, and certainly one can imagine some progress ten years ahead.

And besides realism, only absolute beginners use smoke grenades in MP, if you can choose normal grenades instead. Perhaps it would be good if you could add another option, to choose a mixed bag with nades: with one smoke grenade and two egg grenades.

Suggestions

---------------

-Since, the game is firstperson, add some interactivity with the hands. A good example is rainbow six vegas. Have the hands signal when you are giving an order. It will add a more tactical and visual feel to the game.

-Add new textures to the guns. Maybe even add the option to customize the color of your gun. (maybe a pattern implementer, one with an American flag patter, one with jungle pattern, and then your basic colors like black, tan, green, etc.)

-Ability to add silencers on the fly. Despite r6 Vegas's huge flaws in mp functionality, the game did implement some nice and flashy tactical ideas, and this was one of them. (this ties into the idea of more fpv hand activity for immersion.)

-Since there are dynamic day and night cycles, the same principles can from the silencer should be applied to a flash light. Despite the fact that there are night vision goggles, this would just be a nice feature in general.

-When putting on NV goggles have the hand go off screen and actually switch them down.

-Use depth of field a bit more combined with motion blur to make some things appear more realistic. (maybe apply this more to when you reload, or put on a silencer.)

(I know a lot of things deal with hand interactivity, and I may appear obsessed, but a lot of these things would be innovative and tactical as well as add a more immersive feel to the game.)

:thumbsup:

How about a fully colored crosscom instead of the wireframe look, an option to play the game in third person perspective and maybe tactical hand signals like in the 360 version?

:hmm: ....wrong forum ? :huh:

Nope. But since the army is going to use HD cameras in 2014, I don't see why the Ghosts should run around with wireframe style displays as part of the crosscom especially not since GRAW want's to provide you with the "soldier of the future" feeling. It's simply illogical. Aiming for more reaslism, is great and highly appreciated but then please keep it constant or make it optional (that would be an even better solution cuz it would be fair for all sides)! ;) Edited by Vth_F_Smith

Speaking of grenades...It would be nice to see the AI (us & them) throw one once in awhile, it will change the way you approach certain things in SP/Co-Op knowing you could get a frag chucked at you.

And if as advertised we will have the ability to set up a proper ambush (with the new RoE) Claymores would come in real handy.

I don't think we will see anti personnel mines in this game, due to the international opinion against them (even controlled mines). The same goes with the inclusion of civilians; I don't think we will see them. And that is a pity, I am used to it by now, but it is hilarious to fight Urban fighting without bystander in city with millions of citizens, the inhabitants is the main problem in all urban warfare. But they do suck up CPU power in the game, something they don’t seem top do IRL.  That is a pity, as a penalty system could be implemented when people shot civilians if they eventually would turn up. (points, loss of weapon slot, nade, ammo, only secondary weapon, or chicken sticks and beer can as weapon for those who remember)

That was fun in [GR], trying to avoid the civilians (though that was easy cause there were hardly any)

on the mine thingy, i think claymore-mines should be included SF use them to guard their rear, though I doubt they will use them in public areas......

If you would have real SF missions you would have to evade the enemy's and accomplish mission goals where you ar being haunted.... thus guarding your back with claymores comes in to play :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

While the Beta is being tested I just wanted to bring these little things back under the attention of the game developers. Maybe they missed some minor things that people have stated in this thread. After all it is a very good read from post one up to this one.

Summary:

- 'minimal' leaning while prone would be nice;

- better low aiming when prone;

- roll left or right while prone;

* please lower the tremendous clatter raised while moving in the crouched position;

- extra slot for ammo or grenades;

- ACOG and/or sniper scope for assault rifles that have them irl;

- togglable "switch back to previous weapon after throwing a grenade" option would be helpful;

- the general speed of switching weapons, esp. from or to the pistol, are a bit too slow;

- clicking "Abort" should only take you one step back instead of all the way to the main menu;

- a VIP-hunt mode could be very interesting;

* issue orders to other human players via the cross-com;

- configurable size and position tac map would help these tired old eyes see a bit better;

- use of binoculars;

- civilians (and penalty feature when civilians are KIA);

- a little bit of breathing/moaning after running, or being wounded;

- realistic wounded feature (slow down, breathing, limping, falling to the ground, camera shake, worse aiming etc.);

- a (realistic) medic feature in GRAW2;

- SSAA in dx9 or MSAA in dx 10;

- be able to customize and select what your PLAYER will look like ([GR] style);

- an easy load MOD selector screen ([GR] style);

- openable/closable doors;

* extra weapons;

* possibillity to use emplaced weapons;

* access to the main map via the narcom;

- more blood;

- colored cross-com instead of the wired one;

- xbox360 (arcade) setting (3rd person view, handsignal animations)

* sound of your gear while walking;

* quick saves, no fixed save points;

- larger draw distance;

- AI enhancements (fix concealment issue foilage);

- auto download custom maps on connection to server;

- more selection options in the server screen (to find you type of game-server);

- better Anti-Cheat feature;

- Multi-core CPU support;

- louder sounds for the weapons;

- better mod system for handling, creating and using the mods;

- Stand Alone Dedicated Server files (SADS);

- fast loading times;

- solid connections;

- smooth animations for a client viewing another client;

- accurate hit boxes;

- informative gui that includes kill/death ratios and accuracy;

- password functionality;

- custom server names;

- quick save/quick load function keys;

- console commands and easy gameserver-admin access and functionalities;

- texture/color options for weapons;

- abillity to attach a silencer 'in mission';

- toggle to nightvision animation (hand animation);

- combine depth of field and motion blur for more realistic vield of view;

* smoke grenades;

- more options in kit load-out (for example. 6 grenade slots which can be filled with an amount of smoke/explosive/flash grenades to own choice);

* AI (friendly) use frags/GL on own initiative;

- more tactical weaponary such as claymores, door breach explosives, etc.;

Nice list! :grin1:

* are features already confirmed by the developer/publisher. (just hint me if I didn't check some features already confirmed).

While the Beta is being tested I just wanted to bring these little things back under the attention of the game developers. Maybe they missed some minor things that people have stated in this thread. After all it is a very good read from post one up to this one.

Summary:

- 'minimal' leaning while prone would be nice;

- better low aiming when prone;

- roll left or right while prone;

* please lower the tremendous clatter raised while moving in the crouched position;

- extra slot for ammo or grenades;

- ACOG and/or sniper scope for assault rifles that have them irl;

- togglable "switch back to previous weapon after throwing a grenade" option would be helpful;

- the general speed of switching weapons, esp. from or to the pistol, are a bit too slow;

- clicking "Abort" should only take you one step back instead of all the way to the main menu;

- a VIP-hunt mode could be very interesting;

* issue orders to other human players via the cross-com;

- configurable size and position tac map would help these tired old eyes see a bit better;

- use of binoculars;

- civilians (and penalty feature when civilians are KIA);

- a little bit of breathing/moaning after running, or being wounded;

- realistic wounded feature (slow down, breathing, limping, falling to the ground, camera shake, worse aiming etc.);

- a (realistic) medic feature in GRAW2;

- SSAA in dx9 or MSAA in dx 10;

- be able to customize and select what your PLAYER will look like ([GR] style);

- an easy load MOD selector screen ([GR] style);

- openable/closable doors;

* extra weapons;

* possibillity to use emplaced weapons;

* access to the main map via the narcom;

- more blood;

- colored cross-com instead of the wired one;

- xbox360 (arcade) setting (3rd person view, handsignal animations)

* sound of your gear while walking;

* quick saves, no fixed save points;

- larger draw distance;

- AI enhancements (fix concealment issue foilage);

- auto download custom maps on connection to server;

- more selection options in the server screen (to find you type of game-server);

- better Anti-Cheat feature;

- Multi-core CPU support;

- louder sounds for the weapons;

- better mod system for handling, creating and using the mods;

- Stand Alone Dedicated Server files (SADS);

- fast loading times;

- solid connections;

- smooth animations for a client viewing another client;

- accurate hit boxes;

- informative gui that includes kill/death ratios and accuracy;

- password functionality;

- custom server names;

- quick save/quick load function keys;

- console commands and easy gameserver-admin access and functionalities;

- texture/color options for weapons;

- abillity to attach a silencer 'in mission';

- toggle to nightvision animation (hand animation);

- combine depth of field and motion blur for more realistic vield of view;

* smoke grenades;

- more options in kit load-out (for example. 6 grenade slots which can be filled with an amount of smoke/explosive/flash grenades to own choice);

* AI (friendly) use frags/GL on own initiative;

- more tactical weaponary such as claymores, door breach explosives, etc.;

Nice list! :grin1:

* are features already confirmed by the developer/publisher. (just hint me if I didn't check some features already confirmed).

NICE LIST!

With these little things you will give some work to the GRIN until Christmas! :lol:

NICE LIST!

With these little things you will give some work to the GRIN until Christmas! :lol:

hehe, well I assume a lot is already in the game but we don't really know what yet. Still it's nice to see what a great list came up in this thread. This illustrates the productive- and constructiveness here at GRNET!

Keep it up!

:thumbsup:

A few things I would definitely like to be added to GRAW2 are

AI

- My team can be ordered into a closer formation. This is very important in certain situations and was something I missed badly in Graw. Different types of formations for my team would be really welcome. the enemies will also form closer formations when appropriate.

- The enemies are more aggressive when the situation is suitable and attack us more purposefully and alertly, gun at the ready, actively scanning for targets. ( In Graw the enemies often did not attack us even when the situation was fitting and even when they did, they did not actively scan for targets ).

- All the trained soldiers when in a team, whether enemies or friendlies, will take firing positions and have their fire sectors defined. Group behaviour would be the most important thing.

- Generally, the strategy element of the enemy GROUPS is increased. They will decide when to attack and which path to take and when to relocate/ retreat. The enemies will relocate or retreat as a team when they feel that they are losing. They will use cover fire to do so. They may call in re-inforcements dynamically.

- More patrolling enemies with large patrolling routes, so that we are not sure where we will meet them. Also, patrolling enemies behaved the best in Graw.

- Enemies 'hear' better.

- When under threat or when being fired upon, the accuracy of the bots decrease somewhat.

MODDING

- A mission editor for the Single player mode. Also, all the Co-op maps can be used in SP mode. I think all the developers in Grin would agree that the SP side really lacked much replayability and additional stuff.

- Please allow the [GR] co-op to be played with with all the AI team-mates if I so choose.

GENERAL

- Improved models for trees.

p.s - Grin, thanks for the recon mode for my team. I had written about it a lot and you guys really DO listen. :thumbsup:

Edited by buddhiraja73

I must say that I absolutely would like to see formations implemented in GRAW2 (thight, loose, line, file, staggered). Also the slight accuray decrease when under fire is a nice idea. 'Easy' to implement. Just slightly decrease the reticule a bit if a character is being suppressed.

I also would like my team to move with me in the right formation, cover angle and cover direction according to their place in the team. So when moving in a file formation:

- soldier1 is on point covering the front;

- soldier2 is second in line covering the left;

- soldier3 is third in line covering the right;

- and myself (as a teamleader) am covering the six.

So if I issue my team a waypoint according to a certain formation and ROE we are moving according to this formation and every AI is covering the right angle.

:grin1:

Edited by Toniezz

An AI like that would be pretty damn hard to implement I think. I haven't seen any AI come even close to doing anything like that without suffering from idiocy with obstacles.

lol :rofl:

Well, Full Spectrum Warrior had something similar implemented. It wasn't perfect, but in most cases it worked pretty good! Hey I am not the one stating this game is next-gen :) lol. To me next-gen should be able to deliver something like this. Next-gen isn't only about graphics. I think some devs and publisher tend to forget that once a while.

But yeah, I agree with you. We are mostly happy if the AI isn't stupid as hell walking in front of your line of fire and stuff, shouting 'out of ammo' and 'taking fire' 5 times a minute.

Lol, still we can wish for some better stuff, not? :lol:

0:)

The wish list is very long but...

If I was to choose one single thing about the questionable GRAW injury model that would imo improve the gameplay would be the to introduce some kind of immediate punishment when being hit while running.

As it is now you can keep on charging like superman despite somebody putting you down to the red color "injury status"

Make the player temorarily slow down to walk speed, "stumple", for a brief period of time, one sec or so (like [GR]) and even MUCH cooler, like the enemy AI's do, a certain likelihood for a fall when hit, especially when running.

That would slow down the T vs T "run'n gunning" a bit and make players to think more strategically and make more tactical/concealed movements.

....this is imho the most important.... and would be a considerable step further from GRAW in terms of realism and gameplay. PLZ GRIN DO SOMETHING!!!!! 0:)

The wish list is very long but...

If I was to choose one single thing about the questionable GRAW injury model that would imo improve the gameplay would be the to introduce some kind of immediate punishment when being hit while running.

As it is now you can keep on charging like superman despite somebody putting you down to the red color "injury status"

Make the player temorarily slow down to walk speed, "stumple", for a brief period of time, one sec or so (like [GR]) and even MUCH cooler, like the enemy AI's do, a certain likelihood for a fall when hit, especially when running.

That would slow down the T vs T "run'n gunning" a bit and make players to think more strategically and make more tactical/concealed movements.

....this is imho the most important.... and would be a considerable step further from GRAW in terms of realism and gameplay. PLZ GRIN DO SOMETHING!!!!! 0:)

Agree

' date='Apr 19 2007, 01:42 PM' post='461310']

Isn't the animation already in the game? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the SP, don't your teammates get knocked down, and then stand up again?

That's true. Unfortunately that doen't happend to the player(s).
That's kinda my point. I don't know jack about coding, but if it's already in the SP, can it be that hard to add it to MP?

If you play coop (not [GR] coop), what happens to your AI teammate(s)? Do they drop and then get back up? If so, it can't be an issue attributed to being online, can it?