Så blir "GRAW2" på PC

It all sounds absolutely fantastic, my hope is that the spoken word will turn into reality.

I’m sure by now everyone knows what the GR community expects in Coop, SP and MP, it certainly is no secret, and also what the brilliant GR Mod community need to produce there hard work for everyone to enjoy, if it all comes to fruition, it truly will be a beautiful thing.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. I liked GRAW single player, but MP wasn't as good as GR - GR MP is a legend actually, mostly 'cause of its maps I think. What I missed at GRAW MP was real STEALTH (you know you can walk without making footstepsounds - it was great though there should been some kind of 'sneaking-button' or quieter steps..), wider maps (updating Strongpoint actually kept me playing GRAW MP...), and better console control (those little things wich makes count - starting timer like GR (30sec, 1min, ...)

Without a sniper you could spot easily enemy sniper & take him down, places were rare at MP-maps where sniper could really snipe at cover. What I read there should be uprages to these matters at GRAW2, right? Sounds good.

I really miss these old GR -matches & great public server games! Most of the people whose playing GRAW right now likes that fast tempo - small maps, lots of spawns, no tactics, just run & aim - and it seems like GRAW is designed for that (of course that sells, I understand...) , but at least most Clanbase.com:s Ghost Recon -clans have used to way different gaming. If things going to be different at GRAW2, Ghost Recon might again gain it's reputation at best Pure Tactic FPS (no planes & hecos & stuff...). I dunno is my opinion just a shout from a minority, but why havent we seen most of the old GR-folks at GRAW...

If theres going to be an option for more tactical movement at wider maps, using granades to stop or hold enemies (make 'em dig down) like artillery and better stealth - I'm in love! Curious to see what kind of an game pops out! With this kind of an engine and working team around it posibilities are imnumerable.

Team Finrecon,

Seba

Hmm.. I liked GRAW single player, but MP wasn't as good as GR - GR MP is a legend actually, mostly 'cause of its maps I think. What I missed at GRAW MP was real STEALTH (you know you can walk without making footstepsounds - it was great though there should been some kind of 'sneaking-button' or quieter steps..), wider maps (updating Strongpoint actually kept me playing GRAW MP...), and better console control (those little things wich makes count - starting timer like GR (30sec, 1min, ...)

Without a sniper you could spot easily enemy sniper & take him down, places were rare at MP-maps where sniper could really snipe at cover. What I read there should be uprages to these matters at GRAW2, right? Sounds good.

More fighting indoors

now you're talking! now the only question i have is, are these buildings going to have doors? if so, we might just have a winner. [GR] had working doors. they're putting recon back into ghost recon... :hmm: good idea

other than that, still refraining from making any judgements until i can fairly assess this game. :shhhh::pokerface:

Rather than inventing new stuff such as stealth-o-meter (which i hope can be modded out as soon as possible) or weird new MP game types i hope they will focus on fixing things from GRAW1.

The lack of responsive keys is the first thing to fix. The none sticky lean is great now but the fact that you have to come to a 100% stop before the game will 'allow' you to crouch is a big problem. It won't even let you press crouch and then do it when you stop so you have to press it then realise that you pressed it an instant too soon then press it again after you have stopped walking.

Perfect the basics first GRIN.

GRAW1 PC has reallly impressed me recently. GRAW 2 vids on the console look totally gorgious (apart from the onscreen info blizard crap). With nice rural maps and a smoother control system (lean while in prone please) GRAW2 could be great.

Most of the people whose playing GRAW right now likes that fast tempo - small maps, lots of spawns, no tactics, just run & aim - and it seems like GRAW is designed for that

I agree Seba, the fast MP t vs t gameplay in GRAW which is "favoured" is due to several reasons (this is a few that I can think of):

1) Lack of proper punishment when hit (viewspin, loss of scoped view etc)

2) Lack of proper injuries (limp etc)

3) Too high strafe speed and too high accuracy shooting while strafing

4) You don't have to wait for any reticule to "close" after movement before shooting (as it was in GR) , this means that being in movement and being aggressive is heavily favoured, as you can really make use of the general lag in online MP gaming

For example, you can run around a corner and take out a stationary player without him having a fair chance of firing back (the stationary player often never even sees the moving player raise his gun)

5) The limited draw distance, which makes sniping at great distance impossible as enemies are invisible (thus can run safely)

A "slower" game would favour this type of gaming style less, and imo be more attractive (there are so many fast paced FPS games, we don't need another one).

Laddering for GRAW never took off and is basically dead today

Let's see what the GRAW 2 brings us with respect to improvements. It seems as Grin going in the right direction for SP gamers with the "recon" emphasizing. Remains to be seen what they done with the crucial core parts of the game play features that once bound together t vs t MP players all over the world.

Well, again it's a compromise between different values - I think Grin tried that, to please everybody with GRAW balancing qualities though the ending didnt go as well as hypothese... :hmm: The engine is good and gives lots of posibilities like I said in the last post, but really needs some fixes. My opinion is that GRAW2 is coming too fast out, it shouldnt been rushed after the disaster publishing with GRAW, hope it wont include so many bugs at release... Of course what compicated games go the more bugs will appear on them but less players will play "unfinished" games... Hope that to GRAW2 will be really wide testings and plannings to make it good! Patching fast will be great, but if the whole playability depends on patches the game is doomed. And technical complicated maps are hard to make and takes lots of space & time, but those great maps are the key to succesfull Ghost Recon! Remember we really have Americas Army which is great game, but lacks good maps - we have CS, RO, OFP and so on, but none of these games are like original GR. I think it really is that way because of the maps and gaming styles (of course the style/tempo but had to say it). Peace made a nice post about lack of vunerability at GRAW and other important matters which I agree totally. Take a look at Ghost Recon 2 on Xbox and you will find some nice structures and types of maps.

I just want to make one clarification to my previous post about the fast gameplay

It relates almost exclusivly to t vs t MP (and solo Deathmatch).

I'm an occational coop player too, and I find that mode to be real fun and challenging in GRAW :thumbsup:

In the coop mode agains the enemy AI, I find it less of a problem or no problem at all, because the enemy AI are programmed to behave strategically (and do not take advantage of the game features fully and online lag issues).

I think this reflects the developers focus on the SP mission part and gameplay against AI, and less time for testing and evaluation of the MP t vs t mode of GRAW.

Also, Coop is basically almost the only time, I actually use single fire in GRAW, because I'm actually firing at mostly stationary enemy AI (or the occational one in slight movement), not "skip running" or strafing human opponents.

Lack of proper punishment when hit is really a good one (blurred vision when bullets pass by and when nades explode close is good to, a la RO).

The Hide'o meter (!) can actually add to realism as it is hard in a FP-view to judge the cover you got (and a TPV is out of the question, that would help this issue though). I am not negative to this, but we'll see what it actually is. For one thing it is a feature which seems to be a consequence off added recon - for good or bad.

For successful single play, it is a MUST that GRIN add the [GR] ability for us to switch identities within our unit.

e.g.... If our missions are to become much more strategic in nature,.. we must be able to switch between the role of a sniper and his specialized equipment,... into the body of specialized demo guy, as he sneaks stealthfully in order to plant an explosive charge within a building.

It was this ability to play so many different specialized roles in the [GR], in order to finish a very difficult mission with many different and evolving objectives, that made [GR] so addicting. I find little fascination in trying to get an idiot AI to do something difficult by playing around with endless waypoints and lines on a map.,.. when I know (1st person), exactly what that trooper needs to do... And I WANT that excitement for my self,.. in 1st person;... not for some idiot AI.

For successful single play, it is a MUST that GRIN add the [GR] ability for us switch identities within our unit.
Then prepare to be disappointed. Nothing I have read in these forums and elsewhere mentioned the ability to do that. First, it defeats the purpose of the cross-com. Furthermore, part of the reason they did that in [GR] was because the AI couldn't complete a simple objective on it's own (the demo guy wouldn't demo anything on his own). Edited by Cangaroo[TNT]

I didn't notice in the article anywhere that they talked about reinstating the old [GR] single player gameplay modes. I loved playing the quick missions. The firefight and recon modes were a lot of fun. Just you against 30 tangos. I don't like having to start an [GR] multi-player coop mission to do the firefight. It should be quite simple to make those work in single-player.

I know some people don't care about single-player. Well, there are some of us from the other side of that coin. We don't care about multi-player. We're not as vocal as the multi-player crowd. Those old [GR] gameplay modes are what I want to see in GRAW 2 more than anything else.

Randomly placed tangos is also a big deal.

Now if they can just get away from the 512 shades of brown in the maps and the gold uniforms... Deferred lighting was a huge mistake.

Now if they can just get away from the 512 shades of brown in the maps and the gold uniforms... Deferred lighting was a huge mistake.

Deffered lighting is a part of the draw distance if I remember correctly :hmm:

Also a lot of players, I would say the majority, care a lot about graphics and if the 360 version looks way better than the PC version, which it will do if the PC version don't use deffered lighting (or something tha has the same result) then people will complain bigtime.

A lot of people want to be able to shoot badguys from a further distance than 500 m. That would not be possible without deffered lighting.

However people also complain about system requirements and AA so in the end you can't really please everyone.

Edited by Hockeystick

Deffered lighting is a part of the draw distance if I remember correctly :hmm:

Also a lot of players, I would say the majority, care a lot about graphics and if the 360 version looks way better than the PC version, which it will do if the PC version don't use deffered lighting (or something tha has the same result) then people will complain bigtime.

A lot of people want to be able to shoot badguys from a further distance than 500 m. That would not be possible without deffered lighting.

However people also complain about system requirements and AA so in the end you can't really please everyone.

The graphics quality of the PC version is already inferior to the 360 version. The muddy and washed out colors on the PC version caused by the over-processed deferred lighting looks awful. Especially when compared to the graphics on the XBox 360 version (or even the XBox version).

How you light a level has nothing to do with draw distance. That's determined by your clipping planes, "fogging" and how far away you can practically see an NPC (how many pixels does it take to draw a recognizable NPC). There's also the issue of clarity of the image (which we do not have) with regard to drawing NPCs at distance. When they're just a few pixels it's nearly impossible to recognize them. When they're zoomed in (with a scope or binocs -- what happened to having binocs anyway?) they can be recognized. That shouldn't be affected by deferred lighting, either.

The washed out and muddy colors just ruins all the visual effects for me. It's like looking at a comic book drawn by a guy with two crayons. One brown and one gold. Mexico City isn't just all brown. Even with the smog.

And the ghost uniforms being gold just look ridiculous. They're supposed to be either desert tan or jungle green, not disco gold. If it was possible to turn off HDR and all the other stuff and still have night vision, I'd turn it all off and leave it off. At least the graphics then aren't quite so ugly, then. On day missions, I turn off the post processing effects just so it doesn't look so ugly.

To me, the graphics in GRAW are a terrible disappointment. Especially with the horsepower it takes to run them. For that cost in power, it should look FAR better than it does.

Edited by Ronin

For successful single play, it is a MUST that GRIN add the [GR] ability for us to switch identities within our unit.

Can't see that ever happening. :( Instead of setting GRAW2 apart from those other lame one hero wonder games their following right along with them. Soldier switching might have even made GRAW enjoyable. :unsure:

Can't see that ever happening. :( Instead of setting GRAW2 apart from those other lame one hero wonder games their following right along with them. Soldier switching might have even made GRAW enjoyable. :unsure:

It does appear that GRIN is beginning to listen to us sometimes. From what is written in this new GRAW2 infomercial, I am thinking/ hoping that they are also making it possible to increase the mission scripting possibilities. ANd they ARE adding the ability for us set our own GAME SAVES!! So maybe they will add to the game, the ability to switch identities within our unit in single play format.

' date='Jan 18 2007, 01:15 PM' post='445482']

For successful single play, it is a MUST that GRIN add the [GR] ability for us switch identities within our unit.
Then prepare to be disappointed. Nothing I have read in these forums and elsewhere mentioned the ability to do that. First, it defeats the purpose of the cross-com. Furthermore, part of the reason they did that in [GR] was because the AI couldn't complete a simple objective on it's own (the demo guy wouldn't demo anything on his own).

The AI in GR actually would place demo charges. When I first heard about it I was doubtful myself until I played the 12th mission a second time. I watched the demo guy actually place the charge on the rear of the sub on the west side of the base (the open pen). The deal to do that is to place a waypoint close enough to the area the demo charge needs to be placed and the AI will do it. Unfortunately, the AI will not use the AT-4 to kill a tank or rocket launcher, but then again, I liked doing those shots myself (in IT on the hills map, I shot the launcher from over 90M away and scored a hit).

To me, the graphics in GRAW are a terrible disappointment

With 256 mb video card and lower resolution maybe ....

Texture in medium........ textures in high

medium7wg.jpghigh6ig.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/jone...compare17fb.jpg

1o80 p HD video -44 mb-

http://www.mediafire.com/?1nywm3lwyym

1o80 p HD video - 55 mb-

http://www.mediafire.com/?0y5jyj2jyfw

[3.14] Large Images Please do not include large images directly in a post as it blows out the forum formatting and causes delays for dial-up users. Any large image (greater than 500 pixels wide) should be posted as a URL instead of as an Image, or resized down to 500 pixels. You can use the attach file button to attach large images.

Edited by NYR_32

To me, the graphics in GRAW are a terrible disappointment

With 256 mb video card and lower resolution maybe ....

Texture in medium........ textures in high

medium7wg.jpghigh6ig.jpg

I put off playing/finishing the PC version of GRAW until I got my new rig because it looked and ran pretty bad on my old one. It's one thing to look horrible, but it didn't even run well at 800x600, so it's like a double slap in the face.

However, on my new system core2duo and a 512mb graphics card 2gigs of ram, it just looks amazing. 1280x960 with all settings maxed the game is really quite nice looking. Some of the orange tint lighting early on is not appealing but overall it's very nice. The lighting in the last level actually looks the best and makes the ghosts look a lot more normal. Weapons, vehicles, buildings and environments look great as well. Unfortunately, this game really needs to be seen on high to be appreciated.

The low/medium textures really kill the lighting effects and make bad lighting on the ghosts look even worse.