Some PC Details

(kinda drunk so never mind...)

has it got to do with the "all on mitchell" behaviour ?? as happens in SP missions ??

once mitchell shows his face, ALL enemy AI turn their heads thinking heeey its party boy lets shoot at Him ??

concentrating on one thing does make me at the moment kinda .....

maybe that is the same for AI ???

did they drink all those cans on the floor and does the cpu have to compute all that ??

again i am not real sober now so forgive my ignorence...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might not be AS difficult if the computer didn't have so much trash to keep track of. And boards. And bricks. Just a thought...

Not to thrash your thought, but those bricks and cans and other stuff that is "stealing the fps" is nothing compared to the huge amount of program routines that is involved in the AI. I have no figures but a object is mainly just a position and rotation vector feeded to your graphics card which handes the rest, also a body if it's a dynamic object which is handled by the physics enigine but most of the time even those dynamic objects are static and unchanging.

Constant data = almost no workload on the CPU more than feeding the data, something that can't be said about the AI. It needs to constantly check enviroment for threats, cover, sound, incoming fire, movement paths and process that through it's availible teammates, weapons, mood, health and current tactic. It's insanely complex. I suppose that if you stripped all the props and brushed props in one level, you could add two or maybe three more AI:s to the map. I'd happily trade that for some clever level scripting, but I'm also an artist :).

There is a reason you seldom meet more than 10 enemy AI:s at the same time in any game unless the AI only has a hack and slash or shoot and duck behaviour.

I like it when someone from GRIN can grab the family jewels and REALLY talk to us. But atleast we know you are in reach. :thumbsup:

Colin, you always seem to go into super positive MR enthusiasm mode when they are in the pre launch phase. You seem to partly promote good will about the UBI game and partly act as a dampener for any negative projections anyone has.

Sorry, i don't mean to be slanderous or anything but i get a very strong feeling that you have professional ties to UBI in some way. It could be just taht you are a loyal supporter fan but your approach is way too consistent and although you have 'acknoledged' less than ideal aspects to the game at times the general flow and direction of all your input seems to amount to stealth promotion as it reads to me.

Dude, are you one of those people who are contracted to engratiate yourself with product communities and build up good will from 'seemingly' the outside?

If you are not then please don't get upset with my question but i often get the feeling we are being 'managed' by your approach to everything GRAW1 and GRAW2.

I hope I didn't sound aggressive but more informative, not meaning to shut anyone up ;) Its just that we've heard quite a bit that we should have spent more time on making levels, gamemodes or other stuff than adding coins that drop out of the parking meters. We can't just move people around like that, I could for instance not program the AI, but I don't ask them to help out on creating graphical content either.

Also, this is all true for the GRAW 1 AI, the boys at the AI programming have not been on vacation for all these months either so stuff might have changed...

Might not be AS difficult if the computer didn't have so much trash to keep track of. And boards. And bricks. Just a thought...

Not to thrash your thought, but those bricks and cans and other stuff that is "stealing the fps" is nothing compared to the huge amount of program routines that is involved in the AI. I have no figures but a object is mainly just a position and rotation vector feeded to your graphics card which handes the rest, also a body if it's a dynamic object which is handled by the physics enigine but most of the time even those dynamic objects are static and unchanging.

Constant data = almost no workload on the CPU more than feeding the data, something that can't be said about the AI. It needs to constantly check enviroment for threats, cover, sound, incoming fire, movement paths and process that through it's availible teammates, weapons, mood, health and current tactic. It's insanely complex. I suppose that if you stripped all the props and brushed props in one level, you could add two or maybe three more AI:s to the map. I'd happily trade that for some clever level scripting, but I'm also an artist :).

There is a reason you seldom meet more than 10 enemy AI:s at the same time in any game unless the AI only has a hack and slash or shoot and duck behaviour.

The AI in GRAW1 in my opionion were mostly spot on, thinking, aggresive, Intel gathering. I would not like to see too many changes in this area, if it works dont need too much changing agreed.

Colin, you always seem to go into super positive MR enthusiasm mode when they are in the pre launch phase. You seem to partly promote good will about the UBI game and partly act as a dampener for any negative projections anyone has.

Sorry, i don't mean to be slanderous or anything but i get a very strong feeling that you have professional ties to UBI in some way. It could be just taht you are a loyal supporter fan but your approach is way too consistent and although you have 'acknoledged' less than ideal aspects to the game at times the general flow and direction of all your input seems to amount to stealth promotion as it reads to me.

Dude, are you one of those people who are contracted to engratiate yourself with product communities and build up good will from 'seemingly' the outside?

If you are not then please don't get upset with my question but i often get the feeling we are being 'managed' by your approach to everything GRAW1 and GRAW2.

Poita I am generally a possitive person, in all aspects of life, even in the face of getting what I would like to see in a game that is not in there yet.

My possitive approch to Grin has mainly come research into its members, the work they do, and how they complete the work sometimes against all the odds from from Ubisoft game direction.

I feel if it had been another Company doing the first game we would have been far less impressed with the final result, I know Bo and some of the team did a lot of work behind the scenes to give you and me what we wanted in certain areas of the game, and I would imagine a great cost to time and effort involved.

The main reason I am possivte about GRAW 2 is the Team have learnt so much from us and themselves in the last 20 months, we have given each other a ton of information either by Phone, forum, emails, Pm`s and in a few cases Direct contact.

My possitive stance is purely down to what I have seen and learnt over the last 2 years, this Dev Team is capable of great things as is RSE, we here have good relations with the team, we have a window to there thoughts and knowledge,unusual would you not say.

This time round will be a better experience for all concerned, because the learning curve is far less now than before.

I take it as a complement to recommend and help in promoting a game when I enjoy the first one so much and the Company that made it.

The next version is bound to be better by the facts above, this is based on past work and knowlege of the hard work and effort that went into it.

So yes I am possitive about GRAW2, Ubisoft gernerally dont let a developer do a follow up if the first one was not good enough, I am a ubisoft fan, simply because they released the game and can be persuaded to change the original layout of a game that is more inkeeping with the community, for this reason they have my support.

I have no affiliation with Ubisoft, but they have given me in the last 7 years 3 games I really love playing.

I strongly beleive that if you have a possitive attitude and give feed back to a company in a good way, that company will change and bend to your wishes, it does not always happen but it doeshappen often, it happened with GRAW1.

I hope that answers your thoughts mate.

Colin

I hope I didn't sound aggressive but more informative, not meaning to shut anyone up ;) Its just that we've heard quite a bit that we should have spent more time on making levels, gamemodes or other stuff than adding coins that drop out of the parking meters. We can't just move people around like that, I could for instance not program the AI, but I don't ask them to help out on creating graphical content either.

Also, this is all true for the GRAW 1 AI, the boys at the AI programming have not been on vacation for all these months either so stuff might have changed...

How much is graphics involved with the CPU or graphic card?

Ex. Would it be possible to have like a million characters within a 10 km radius if only the characters withing a 5 m radius had high resolution and the rest lower resolution the further away they where? And after like 100 m they turn into 2D.

Edited by Hockeystick

heey bumbi, take a brake for a moment :P

or are you kile me ?? have this page on while whatching movies and such ??

can some one put me on a leash ?? ?i am totally off topic.

pc details, happily someone was paying attention in here.... (new tab)

tell your ai guys to take a break too, cause they deserve it :D

So Bumbi could you answer if the graphics in GRAW2 are going to be even more resource hungry than GRAW1 ? there's rumours that it will be DX10 compatible, but what about people with out the money for another upgrade....can we expect the same sort of frame rates that we got with graw1?

Colin thank's for your answer and also for your patience and tollerance. I'm impressed by your civility.

Ok i understand where you are coming from. I guess it's just so rare to come across someone with such an optimistic and positive attitude so i hope you understand why i wondered.

I agree that there is some talent in GRIN. I hope they have enough freedom to de consolise GRAW2 down from GRAW1 PC and certainly the ever more console looking (though great looking) GRAW2.

It's definitely the 360 version; it's in 3rd person view. :P

Bumbi, your input is very much appreciated and I certainly didn't perceive it as aggressive and I doubt Rabbi took it that way either.

Regarding increasing the engagement ranges in GRAW2, has any effort gone into implementing AI LODs? Either that or really clever trigger scripting would seriously enhance the game experience for the snipers amongst us. Headshots at 150m just aren't as impressive as nailing someone almost a km away! :D

Hmmm...wish this is explained better:

"[Ghost Recon] Coop"

GRAW Coop or the Coop (more than 9 players, mission-based, etc) I'm used to playing?

[GR] coop from GRAW. 12 players probably.

Please oh please oh please have mission coop with more than 9 people...

(goes to his special place inside Ghost Recon, yeah, you know the version I mean)