Some PC Details

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

while they DID give us information, it wasn't quite information I was looking for.

but hey, this isn't my party if GRAW2 releases as it is supposed to in march, why so little information? :hmm:

Gotta pump the PR department at UBISOFT or milk UBISOFT like a cow.

cow_milking.jpg

Thats right "some" PC-details. But then again, while 360-players already have many videos, everything the PC-players are getting is a couple of text-lines. Too bad. Ubi shows once more they don't care about the PC. Or maybe the PC-version isn't coming until fall this year. Who knows, but this few lines aren't even a beginning. Some screens AND info at the same time, like it happened for the 360-version, when GRAW 2 has been announced is way better. :nono:

New battlefields in wide rural, deserts zones, on both sides of the US/Mexico border

So, yellow still here!

No vegetation? :(

If it's like hollow in GRAW1 after 1.35 ... i'll still be happy. They vastly improved the use of post effects on it

Yes indeed and the green on the tress is way better on that single map too.

everything the PC-players are getting is a couple of text-lines. Too bad. Ubi shows once more they don't care about the PC.

Well when looking at this issue, you should really keep these things in mind:

1.If Ubi supplied all the information about the game everyone was looking for, there would be nothing for us to complain about. This way, once the "2" is released, everyone will be all loosened up and ready for the second half.

2.That the (relative) lack of info, from any source, will create buzz in and of itself. The direction of this thread tends to bear that out.

and

3.The corporate HQs location of Ubisoft.

New battlefields in wide rural, deserts zones, on both sides of the US/Mexico border

So, yellow still here!

If it's like hollow in GRAW1 after 1.35 ... i'll still be happy. They vastly improved the use of post effects on it

Yes indeed and the green on the tress is way better on that single map too.

mmmm, maybe modified post effects on Hollow were done to hear community feedback for the upcoming GRAW 2.... :hmm:

...speculation anyone? :P

I think I'll let GRAW2 stand on it's own merit. GRAW was just strike 1. Feeling good today. :thumbsup: I know my machine can handle the clipping plane wide open, I've been producing a map with the clipplane removed and it works great.

in order for the rural and desert maps towork we have to have long view ranges. will the GRAW maps work with GRAW2? just curious

Edited by Papa6

That's actually a very important question. Not just about the clipping plane though, but will enemy triggers be a thing of the past? As it stands right now, in GRAW, even with an expanded view distance, you rarely get to engage anyone outside of 150m due to "just in time" spawning. What are the chances that we can have all enemy AI spawned from the get-go in each mission or at least far out enough that we won't notice it?

So, yellow still here!

Did I see a comma between rural and desert? ... oh well nevermind, I'm just hyping :P

well, it depends by way you read it :P

I really hope to see different map settings :whistle:

What are the chances that we can have all enemy AI spawned from the get-go in each mission...

No chances, as it would kill any PC in the world today.

It's more up to the scripters to put the spawn triggers in the right place and create checks for where the player is and have been. Those different triggers is all that is needed. But the thing that makes it complicated is that you can't have many enemies spawned at once as it's heavy for the computer to calculate them all. You also have to take in account that you can't spawn people to far away (at least not the main bulk of them) as the player may decide not to go in that direction until much later during the mission. So you have to wait until the player activates a trigger that tells you what their intentions are, which can be tricky.

Might not be AS difficult if the computer didn't have so much trash to keep track of. And boards. And bricks. Just a thought...

Well... Then people would complain that the maps are to "empty" and don't feel like real environments and warzones. There is always downsides and upsides to all development decitions.

Edited by Wolfsong

it reads very strange with a comma,

so there is wide rural and desert zones ? or just wide rural desert zones ??

Who knows? :shhhh:

From Bumbi's post I would gather it means "wire rural AND desert zones." But Bumbi was never really here ;) . :ph34r:

Might not be AS difficult if the computer didn't have so much trash to keep track of. And boards. And bricks. Just a thought...

Not to thrash your thought, but those bricks and cans and other stuff that is "stealing the fps" is nothing compared to the huge amount of program routines that is involved in the AI. I have no figures but a object is mainly just a position and rotation vector feeded to your graphics card which handes the rest, also a body if it's a dynamic object which is handled by the physics enigine but most of the time even those dynamic objects are static and unchanging.

Constant data = almost no workload on the CPU more than feeding the data, something that can't be said about the AI. It needs to constantly check enviroment for threats, cover, sound, incoming fire, movement paths and process that through it's availible teammates, weapons, mood, health and current tactic. It's insanely complex. I suppose that if you stripped all the props and brushed props in one level, you could add two or maybe three more AI:s to the map. I'd happily trade that for some clever level scripting, but I'm also an artist :).

There is a reason you seldom meet more than 10 enemy AI:s at the same time in any game unless the AI only has a hack and slash or shoot and duck behaviour.