How does ArmA compare to VBS? Curious....

Well, out of the box Armed Assault a much better experience and a much more polished game. But this not an entirely fair comparison because VBS·1 is not really intended as a game, or one where elements of game-play like fairness and balance are considerations (though it's quite possible to create mods that are game like).

I could never get the networking going on VBS·1 with my cable modem; so my experience is limited to SP missions that came with VBS·1, downloadable SP missions, missions I've created, and COOP missions I've played alone.

Box stock Armed Assault is better looking, has better animation, and better AI (if you understand its design as you seem to from your comments elsewhere). However wtih add-ons and mods VBS·1 can match and even surpass Armed Assault aesthetically with regard to some assets, with some hardware configurations at comparable render settings.

Based on earlier builds of the OFP engine, and having been on the market longer; VBS·1 has also reached a very stable and robust build level, and it offers a suite of tools and toys that are pig heaven for tactical realism Geek...

That said I don't think anyone that has Armed Assault already will be that engaged by VBS·1; it doesn't have the audience, will probably not see the level of long term support, both commercially and by fans that Armed Assault will have. and due to compatability across BI games Armed Assault will quickly surpass VBS·1 in sheer volume of mods and add-on options.

Still, VBS·1 is a great product, and perhaps with the release of VBS·2 it becomes more affordable and might support a larger audience...

Probably not, but I think BIA will create a means for motivated individuals that really want to experience VBS·2 and have a lot to offer to contribute.

It also makes a certain amount of economic sense when the product has reached sell through and bottomed as far as support contract income, to seek other venues of income -- as nothing lasts forever.

:unsure: